ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Defect Window Micro-Scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 07:04 PM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Defect Window Micro-Scratches?

Does anyone have or noticed if their windows are permanently streaked or have micro-scratches? Here are two photos of the front two windows and what I'm experiencing.

Last edited by r1supersta; 02-10-23 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 08:44 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 317 Likes on 198 Posts

I assume you have tried cleaning the glass to see if it in fact will rub off? Perhaps that's just some sort of film that was not cleaned properly prior to installation. If they are actually scratches, have you reported it to the dealership? Perhaps something in the door is misaligned or there is a defective or mispositioned seal that is rubbing the glass. Either way this is a new car and they should look into it - that is not normal.

Last edited by ATL350; 02-11-23 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 02:59 PM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ATL350
I assume you have tried cleaning the glass to see if it in fact will rub off? Perhaps that's just some sort of film that was not cleaned properly prior to installation. If they are actually scratches, have you reported it to the dealership? Perhaps something in the door is misaligned or there is a defective or mispositioned seal that is rubbing the glass. Either way this is a new car and they should look into it - that is not normal.
The micro scratches are on the outside of the windows.

The first time I noticed it was when I had the car windows tinted @ 150 miles and two weeks old. The driver's door had a vertical band about 2-3" wide on the entire glass. I took the car back to the tint shop since that's what I thought it was. Turns out it was the glass. I went back to the dealership to have them look at it; they ended up ordering two windows. The pictures I posted in this thread are of the brand new windows, 2 hours old. Now I feel bad having to call the dealer again to discuss the issues. The windows are worse this time around vs the original ones.

Last edited by r1supersta; 02-11-23 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-12-23, 06:15 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 317 Likes on 198 Posts

Silly question, but did you inspect the new windows at the dealership after they were installed? If yes and the scratching wasn't there, then you certainly should go back. If that's the case then something in the window/door assembly is causing that, such as the weather stripping or some insulation. I understand you're feeling a bit hesitant to go back so soon, but that's actually the right time, the sooner the better as the old saying goes. You have a beautiful new car and this shouldn't be happening.
Old 02-12-23, 06:24 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

This is from the defect weather strip. They should inspect it.
Old 02-12-23, 06:43 AM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ATL350
Silly question, but did you inspect the new windows at the dealership after they were installed? If yes and the scratching wasn't there, then you certainly should go back. If that's the case then something in the window/door assembly is causing that, such as the weather stripping or some insulation. I understand you're feeling a bit hesitant to go back so soon, but that's actually the right time, the sooner the better as the old saying goes. You have a beautiful new car and this shouldn't be happening.
Originally Posted by ESh
This is from the defect weather strip. They should inspect it.

I had my wife take the car in Friday morning to have the windows swapped out. I wasn't able to inspect it until I got home from work; at 630pm. She mentioned to me that she didn't roll down either window from the time of pick-up until I got home to check it out. I told her the service department probably did as they had to check the functionality of the windows. I will call the service department tomorrow morning.
Thanks!
Old 02-13-23, 01:08 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Try using an alcohol pad and cleaning your windows and see if the scratches come off.
Old 02-13-23, 07:46 PM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kingofire
Try using an alcohol pad and cleaning your windows and see if the scratches come off.
I did this too and it didn't help any. I spoke to the Svc Mgr and he asked me to bring the car in tomorrow morning.
The following users liked this post:
kingofire (02-14-23)
Old 02-16-23, 08:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I had this on both my brand new 2021 ES300hes. It must be a supplier issue. I basically took a machine polisher and some M105 meguiars (though you can use anything you want) and polished it out. Glass was perfection after. Clay did not work, hand polishing did not work. The etching is STRONG. almost baked in.

The fact that this was like this on two brand new cars led me to believe it's a manufacture thing. i bet it happened to more people but they're not sensitive enough to know they have it. only appears under certain lighting.
The following users liked this post:
r1supersta (03-21-23)
Old 02-16-23, 08:34 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by r1supersta
I did this too and it didn't help any. I spoke to the Svc Mgr and he asked me to bring the car in tomorrow morning.
See my post. And earlier threads. I'm the grand master on this topic! I solved it. See my post above.
Old 02-16-23, 08:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also do not take to dealers -- they'll fix the glass issue but introduce other problems, stain the headliner, scratch the roof with the little cone things, etc. This is why i'm hesitant to take my new Tesla in for the scratched windshield. i am going to polish it out myself using glass polish
Old 02-16-23, 08:59 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Also do not take to dealers -- they'll fix the glass issue but introduce other problems, stain the headliner, scratch the roof with the little cone things, etc.
Im convinced employees maliciously slammed the cone things on my roof one day. I went to a dealership for service, not the one I bought my car at and it has the name of their competitors dealership on my license plate frame. There was a lot of giggling and employees one after another slammed a different cone on my roof changing it multiple times.
Old 02-16-23, 09:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^yikes. yeah i took my first 7ES into the dealer to have them fix the scratched dash panel and while in service, the service lady slams the cone on my roof (drags it) and sure enough when i got home i found some fairly deep scratches in the clear coat. rather than take it back for them to fix it and cause 2 more problems, i just polished it out myself. they treat cars like another number
Old 02-23-23, 08:15 PM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

I had this on both my brand new 2021 ES300hes. It must be a supplier issue. I basically took a machine polisher and some M105 meguiars (though you can use anything you want) and polished it out. Glass was perfection after. Clay did not work, hand polishing did not work. The etching is STRONG. almost baked in.

The fact that this was like this on two brand new cars led me to believe it's a manufacture thing. i bet it happened to more people but they're not sensitive enough to know they have it. only appears under certain lighting.
Well, this issue has been addressed and they are having the regional rep contact the factory. They won't be shipping any replacement glass until the problem is solved. My dealer found several other ES models with the same issue.
Old 02-23-23, 08:16 PM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

What pad did you use?

And is this the compound? Meguiar's® Mirror Glaze® Ultra-Cut Compound, M10532, 32 oz., Liquid | Meguiar's (meguiars.com)

Last edited by r1supersta; 02-23-23 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Defect Window Micro-Scratches?