ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Jerky Transmission RPM Video (warning: long video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 07:19 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Interesting. A transmission fluid change always does seem to make a car drive differently although I’ve never done one on a pretty new car. If a batch of 350s was under filled that would totally explain why only some cars do this.
Old 02-14-23, 04:40 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

All the cars do it. Some drivers are so light on the gas pedal that it never happens for them. My own car never does the jerk shift anymore now that I go easy on the gas pedal.
Old 02-14-23, 05:02 AM
patekwis
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
All the cars do it. Some drivers are so light on the gas pedal that it never happens for them. My own car never does the jerk shift anymore now that I go easy on the gas pedal.
If you watch the video, you’ll see that the lightest pressure is being applied…

Zero to do with driving style.
Old 02-14-23, 05:04 AM
patekwis
Driver

Originally Posted by kingofire
First thing I'd do is change the transmission fluid and reprogram the ECU. There are a few people that have noted that some Lexus come from the factory with the transmission not fully filled with the WS fluid which can hamper the shifts. Just my $0.02.
When you say “reprogram the ECU”, exactly what procedure are you referring to? The dealer has reset the learning transmission logic twice. Is this the same as “reprogramming”, as you are using that term?
Old 02-14-23, 06:22 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by patekwis
When you say “reprogram the ECU”, exactly what procedure are you referring to? The dealer has reset the learning transmission logic twice. Is this the same as “reprogramming”, as you are using that term?
Usually disconnecting the battery power and then reconnecting it might reset the ECU. But first I'd get the transmission fluid drained and refilled.
Old 02-14-23, 06:32 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
That's not what the Video shows. Listen to the first five minutes, especially at 1:16. He's saying it happens when he is light on the gas in rush hour traffic and you can see the RPM's abruptly change. He made a point several times it especially happens when he "creeps up" in speed towards a gear change.

The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (02-17-23)
Old 02-14-23, 07:45 AM
patekwis
Driver

Originally Posted by BBQapple
Interesting. A transmission fluid change always does seem to make a car drive differently although I’ve never done one on a pretty new car. If a batch of 350s was under filled that would totally explain why only some cars do this.
Agreed. Now, I just need to find a place that will do this with high quality fluid and knows what they're doing. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, I do not trust the dealer here.

Crazy that I have to do this on a car I bought essentially new.

Is there no other way to check the tranny fluid level on these cars? I remember a Chevy Cruze I had as a highway beater had a Toyota transmission (I think) and it had a weeping hole indicating when the fluid was topped up.
Brianses7 (02-14-23)
Old 02-14-23, 11:38 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Yes you can open the fill bolt of the transmission which is on the top and if you see fluid come out then the transmission is filled properly. If nothing comes out then its underfilled.
Old 02-14-23, 11:42 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

First thing I'd do is change the transmission fluid and reprogram the ECU. There are a few people that have noted that some Lexus come from the factory with the transmission not fully filled with the WS fluid which can hamper the shifts. Just my $0.02.
I heard that on new cars, don't touch the tran fluid otherwise you may mess up your tran?
If it goes bad after they touched it, not sure if it is covered by warranty?
Is tran fluid an item on the interval "scheduled maintenance" from Lexus?
Old 02-14-23, 12:00 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes you can open the fill bolt of the transmission which is on the top and if you see fluid come out then the transmission is filled properly. If nothing comes out then its underfilled.
Won’t that depend on the temperature?
Old 02-14-23, 02:30 PM
patekwis
Driver

So I've been doing a bit of research and it seems that what is sometimes the "weeping hole" on the driver's side wheel well area, is actually the fill hole in these cars.

The drain plug is at the bottom, of course, but includes a little plastic check valve which automatically drains excess fluid when the transmission is level and at the correct operating temperature.

In other words, you drain this thing, take the check valve out, thereby emptying the serviceable fluid, then use the fill hole via funnel and tubing to put away about 3.5L of ATF. Then you drive it for a little bit, shift gears, and then jack it up level, and open the drain plug but keep the check valve in.

Now, I have heard that the Camrys have a "temperature mode" or "temperature detection mode" so that you can ensure you are at the right operating temperature. Anyone know how to access it?

I have also heard that, after you do the final drain to get to the correct amount, you have to put 200mL in afterwards, can anyone verify this is correct?

In fact, it would be helpful if someone had the service manual for this car and could just share the steps?

Thinking I can do this over the next while myself if I know the steps.
Old 02-14-23, 03:35 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Please don’t do this on a modern car. Usually there’s a procedure to get the transmission up to temperature and a specific filling procedure. Or if you do do it yourself, do it under warranty at home using non-marring tools and factory fluid!
Old 02-14-23, 03:52 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by patekwis
So I've been doing a bit of research and it seems that what is sometimes the "weeping hole" on the driver's side wheel well area, is actually the fill hole in these cars.

The drain plug is at the bottom, of course, but includes a little plastic check valve which automatically drains excess fluid when the transmission is level and at the correct operating temperature.

In other words, you drain this thing, take the check valve out, thereby emptying the serviceable fluid, then use the fill hole via funnel and tubing to put away about 3.5L of ATF. Then you drive it for a little bit, shift gears, and then jack it up level, and open the drain plug but keep the check valve in.

Now, I have heard that the Camrys have a "temperature mode" or "temperature detection mode" so that you can ensure you are at the right operating temperature. Anyone know how to access it?

I have also heard that, after you do the final drain to get to the correct amount, you have to put 200mL in afterwards, can anyone verify this is correct?

In fact, it would be helpful if someone had the service manual for this car and could just share the steps?

Thinking I can do this over the next while myself if I know the steps.
Before completing my other comments on this thread, a few items on checking the automatic transmission fluid level, The Car Care Nut has a YouTube video on Toyota transmission fluid changing on Toyota's sealed transmissions including the "new" 8 speed one. Starting at the 8:53 time mark is where he shows how to check the acceptable fluid using the car's built in diagnostic node for automatic transmission temperature checking and indication of correct temperature for fluid level checking:

Thanks to UltraLux22's posting in another thread with links to lexguide.net's Lexus ES (XZ10) Owner's Manual and Lexus ES (XZ10) Service Manual, the same procedure in The Car Care Nut's video also applies to the ES's 8 speed transmission - see Lexus ES: [Automatic Transaxle Fluid] Adjustment 7. ADJUST AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID TEMPERATURE (when Not Using the Techstream) [scroll down toward the bottom of that long web site page to find the 7. procedure].
Old 02-14-23, 04:30 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Do not drive until fluid level is correct. Also, do not use IR gun to measure atf temperature.
ESh (02-15-23)
Old 02-15-23, 06:15 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by artbuc
Won’t that depend on the temperature?
Absolutely. You are supposed to bring the transmission fluid up to driving temperature and then drain it. Nothing bad is going to happen if its not precise. The OP is correct that there is a plastic straw after opening the drain bolt and more fluid comes out once the straw is removed.

Quick Reply: Jerky Transmission RPM Video (warning: long video)