ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Jerky Transmission RPM Video (warning: long video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 01:47 PM
patekwis
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I guess what you are experiencing is different than most of us discussing the jerky downshift from 2 to 1. Keep fighting for a resolution.
I think it may all be related to some extent, to be honest... it is hard to imagine they aren't. I am experiencing the jerk downshift, as well as the shuddering of the transmission intermittently when you let your foot off the gas at the 'wrong' time (see around minute 6 of my video for a clear demonstration of how the RPMs flutter because of this).

I can deal with the jerky transmission downshifting (begrudgingly), but I want to note that both 2022 vehicles I drove at their respective dealerships did not exhibit any transmission issue. In fact, they drove how I expect every luxury car to drive (or any car, for that matter).

EDIT: This isn't an endorsement for 2022+ models, as I have read elsewhere that some 2022+ examples are affected with weird transmission behavior.

Last edited by patekwis; 02-20-23 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-21-23, 05:23 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I did not notice any jerk shift on test drives of 2 different 2019's one UL and one F Sport. But later on in driving I did notice it. I also find it hard to replicate the jerk on demand when I want to show someone. I have all the types of jerk. Low speed light throttle, standard slow down then goose it, also a higher speed jerk upshift after a sudden let off of the gas. Also when accelerating around a corner. But, I just drive with a light foot now and it all goes away. Smooth and enjoyable this way.
I would like to hear from 2022 an 2023 owners about their experience. I probably would not purchase my car again because of the jerk and hard seats and so-so ride. (My 2010 was quicker, smoother and more comfortable and no jerk ever. So the 2019 UL was a downgrade except for the stunning good looks. I Would upgrade to a BMW 5 series and hope for the best on reliability. Next car will be electric!
The following users liked this post:
neilsarkar (02-22-23)
Old 02-21-23, 08:26 AM
patekwis
Driver

Originally Posted by CJS57
I did not notice any jerk shift on test drives of 2 different 2019's one UL and one F Sport. But later on in driving I did notice it. I also find it hard to replicate the jerk on demand when I want to show someone. I have all the types of jerk. Low speed light throttle, standard slow down then goose it, also a higher speed jerk upshift after a sudden let off of the gas. Also when accelerating around a corner. But, I just drive with a light foot now and it all goes away. Smooth and enjoyable this way.
I would like to hear from 2022 an 2023 owners about their experience. I probably would not purchase my car again because of the jerk and hard seats and so-so ride. (My 2010 was quicker, smoother and more comfortable and no jerk ever. So the 2019 UL was a downgrade except for the stunning good looks. I Would upgrade to a BMW 5 series and hope for the best on reliability. Next car will be electric!
Agreed - I will probably go BMW next time around, and electric. They seem to be creeping up on the reliability reports.
LS500Fan (02-21-23)
Old 02-21-23, 09:11 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

The easiest way to replicate is upon slowing down coming to a full stop at least in my car. The downshift to 1st gear can be harsh. I've learned to baby the car under those conditions so it doesn't happen. Really shouldn't have to do that of course.
Old 02-23-23, 03:37 PM
patekwis
Driver

The easiest way to replicate is upon slowing down coming to a full stop at least in my car. The downshift to 1st gear can be harsh. I've learned to baby the car under those conditions so it doesn't happen. Really shouldn't have to do that of course.
I have the jerk to 1st. But I also seem to have a slow down jerk around 3rd to 2nd if I try to slowly apply the brakes “too far” in advance. Makes it impossible to smoothly stop.
Old 02-24-23, 03:44 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

easiest way to replicate is upon slowing down coming to a full stop Mike, Please elaborate. I do this 100 times every time I drive, slowing down for a stop? No jerk for me.
Old 02-24-23, 05:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

easiest way to replicate is upon slowing down coming to a full stop Mike, Please elaborate. I do this 100 times every time I drive, slowing down for a stop? No jerk for me.
For me, if you don't come to a COMPLETE stop and sort of drift through the stop sign, there is frequently a noticeable harsh downshift presumably when the trans goes from 2 to 1.
Old 02-24-23, 01:18 PM
patekwis
Driver

For me, I have 2 main scenarios that cause jerking when braking (probably related):

1. Let's say I'm chugging along around 60km/h, and I see a red light in front of me. I apply the brakes consistently to slow down gradually (i.e., my foot initially depresses on the brake and I consistently hold that pressure until I plan to come to a stop, without gradually increasing or decreasing pressure). The transmission seems to work downward through each gear, and you can feel each one. Around 30km/h, there is a gear change that spikes the RPMs and the whole car slows down WAY faster than it just was by me holding my foot on the pedal. The sensation feels like I suddenly depressed the brake pedal further at that exact point but, in reality, I have kept consistent pressure on it and the gear change just slowed down the car way faster than the other gear shifts.

2. Let's say I'm chugging along at around 60km/h, and I see a red light in front of me. I apply the brakes consistently to slow down gradually. BUT, this time, the cars in front of me starting moving slowly, or something else happens that makes me need to ease up on the brake around 20km/h or so. The moment I try to ease up pressure on the brake, it seems like there is a dead spot where the car doesn't want to slow down slower, followed by a sudden gear change whereby the whole car jerks violently. The sensation on the pedal is almost like the brake pedal is locked in to the previous amount of pressure I was putting on it, and easing up doesn't decrease the de-acceleration (if that makes sense) for a second or two until the transmission changes gears and then the violent jerk occurs. Maybe this is a torque converter lock-up issue - not sure. Then you can slow down from around 20km/h or so to a stop smoothly (except for the final gear change or torque converter lockup (whatever it may be) at around 5km/h which gives you this little RPM blip you can feel). It feels almost like something is locked up when you try to ease up on the brake pedal, but then something has released after a second or so and then the car will jerk violently but then move faster than it was (i.e., de-accelerate less slowly).

Lexus of Canada has reopened my case with the new dealership info and they said to expect a call within a week. Progress... I guess?

Last edited by patekwis; 02-24-23 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-24-23, 02:26 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I've not experienced anything like that.
Old 02-24-23, 02:34 PM
patekwis
Driver

I've not experienced anything like that.
Dealer told me it was "completely normal", "as designed", and "operating within spec" given the torque-converter lockup system.

I wonder how they can justify bald faced lies when it is clearly apparent no car should operate like mine is? LOL

I am starting to think I have a hardware issue and this is actually not a software issue at all.
Old 02-24-23, 04:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patekwis
Dealer told me it was "completely normal", "as designed", and "operating within spec" given the torque-converter lockup system.

I wonder how they can justify bald faced lies when it is clearly apparent no car should operate like mine is? LOL

I am starting to think I have a hardware issue and this is actually not a software issue at all.
Take them out for a ride and presumably you'll be able to recreate the condition, then go for another ride in an ES from their lot.
Old 02-24-23, 04:32 PM
patekwis
Driver

Take them out for a ride and presumably you'll be able to recreate the condition, then go for another ride in an ES from their lot.

I did this with the second dealer. They documented mine has an issue that their example doesn’t. Just have to wait for Lexus Canada to call me back.
Old 02-25-23, 04:24 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Thanks Mike, that is one of my main jerk shift situations as well.
mikemu30 (02-25-23)
Old 02-25-23, 12:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Mike, that is one of my main jerk shift situations as well.
The positive aspect of this - it forces me to actually make FULL stops at stop signs😁
Old 03-04-23, 07:57 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by patekwis
Lexus of Canada has reopened my case with the new dealership info and they said to expect a call within a week. Progress... I guess?
Just checking in to see if you at least got a call from Lexus Canada.

I've been hanging out on some Toyota Forums and this 8 speed has been getting recent attention for the 2019 Avalon.

These Complaints showed up in a 2019 Consumer Reports review under "Reliability/what owners say" https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...ity/?pagestop:

The acceleration on the car is sluggish and often feels unsafe. Toyota says it is because of the new transmission in this model. It sputters and feels like you would not be able to get out the way of another car if you had to accelerate quickly. I don't feel like I can depend on this car to get me out of a tight spot if I needed quick acceleration."

Anonymous, IL (2019 Toyota Avalon Limited Unsure)

Rough shifting
"Upon take-off transmission tends to remain in low gear far too long. The shift to the next higher gear is sudden and jerky. Transmission down-shifts without apparent reason. All this is usually during first few minutes of operation."

Anonymous, (2019 Toyota Avalon XLE 3.5-L V6)
"When I need a quick surge of power, upon acceleration from coasting or quickly needing to speed up (e.g. highway passing) the transmission pauses for up to 2 seconds before switching gears or accelerating, sometimes putting me in a dangerous situation. Then, when it finally gets the message to accelerate, I never know which gear it will shift to. Sometimes it goes to such a low gear the car bucks and lurches. Other times it barely goes faster. It always snaps everyone's neck with the sudden over acceleration. Nothing smooth or predictable about this transmission. Plus it makes a disturbing whirring sound going into or out of park."

Last edited by hotwings; 03-04-23 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Jerky Transmission RPM Video (warning: long video)