ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Jerky Transmission RPM Video (warning: long video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 04:20 AM
patekwis
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings
Just checking in to see if you at least got a call from Lexus Canada.

I've been hanging out on some Toyota Forums and this 8 speed has been getting recent attention for the 2019 Avalon.

These Complaints showed up in a 2019 Consumer Reports review under "Reliability/what owners say" https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...ity/?pagestop:

The acceleration on the car is sluggish and often feels unsafe. Toyota says it is because of the new transmission in this model. It sputters and feels like you would not be able to get out the way of another car if you had to accelerate quickly. I don't feel like I can depend on this car to get me out of a tight spot if I needed quick acceleration."

Anonymous, IL (2019 Toyota Avalon Limited Unsure)

Rough shifting
"Upon take-off transmission tends to remain in low gear far too long. The shift to the next higher gear is sudden and jerky. Transmission down-shifts without apparent reason. All this is usually during first few minutes of operation."

Anonymous, (2019 Toyota Avalon XLE 3.5-L V6)
"When I need a quick surge of power, upon acceleration from coasting or quickly needing to speed up (e.g. highway passing) the transmission pauses for up to 2 seconds before switching gears or accelerating, sometimes putting me in a dangerous situation. Then, when it finally gets the message to accelerate, I never know which gear it will shift to. Sometimes it goes to such a low gear the car bucks and lurches. Other times it barely goes faster. It always snaps everyone's neck with the sudden over acceleration. Nothing smooth or predictable about this transmission. Plus it makes a disturbing whirring sound going into or out of park."
I'm a bit sad and relieved to say that I sold the car and am likely replacing it with an Audi.

I couldn't get in contact with anyone from Lexus Canada even though my case was opened, and neither dealership wanted to talk to me.

Sadly, it wasn't worth my time chasing down this problem anymore, and this will likely be my last Lexus/Toyota product ever (including all family).

Hope everyone finds a solution to this issue, which I was not able.
Old 03-06-23, 05:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by patekwis
I'm a bit sad and relieved to say that I sold the car and am likely replacing it with an Audi.

I couldn't get in contact with anyone from Lexus Canada even though my case was opened, and neither dealership wanted to talk to me.

Sadly, it wasn't worth my time chasing down this problem anymore, and this will likely be my last Lexus/Toyota product ever (including all family).

Hope everyone finds a solution to this issue, which I was not able.
Sorry to hear this. Will you be cruising the A6? Beautiful car and good luck with it.
Old 03-06-23, 06:58 AM
patekwis
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Sorry to hear this. Will you be cruising the A6? Beautiful car and good luck with it.
Trying to close on an new gen S5 sportback early this week (going down to one car is a bit of a hassle!).

I test drove the S5 and it just felt like everything the Lexus should have been (from a transmission - upshifting and downshifting perspective). Zero issues smoothly coming to a stop. Zero issues at low speed shifting. And the massive step up in power and AWD is welcome, although not necessary for my needs.
Old 03-06-23, 07:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Trying to close on an new gen S5 sportback early this week (going down to one car is a bit of a hassle!).

I test drove the S5 and it just felt like everything the Lexus should have been (from a transmission - upshifting and downshifting perspective). Zero issues smoothly coming to a stop. Zero issues at low speed shifting. And the massive step up in power and AWD is welcome, although not necessary for my needs.
That's a gorgeous car. I guess Audis use the dual clutch trans which I've read results in silky smooth shifts but perhaps a bit less reliability. And I forget the S5 has more under the hood than the A5?
Old 03-06-23, 10:40 AM
patekwis
Driver

That's a gorgeous car. I guess Audis use the dual clutch trans which I've read results in silky smooth shifts but perhaps a bit less reliability. And I forget the S5 has more under the hood than the A5?
The new S5s have an 8 speed torque converter I believe. Producing 354HP and 369 lb-ft of torque. You can definitely feel it!
Old 03-06-23, 11:14 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like you found your dream car, congrats!
The following users liked this post:
patekwis (03-07-23)
Old 03-08-23, 04:02 PM
dr3wski
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I may try this in my wife's RX just out of curiosity- the RX has an 8 speed as well but a different unit I guess which is very smooth shifting up and down. I mainly notice the jerkiness in my ES approaching a stop sign. If you don't come to a complete stop and sort of glide through it (I know but we all do it before any comments about that), you can't miss the lurch or whatever you want to call it. I've said many times now after four plus years of ownership, I'm quite used to it and it really doesn't bug me any longer.
Mike, I get the same thing and it occurs almost exactly at 12 mph. I believe this is when something is disengaging (torque converter?...I'm not that smart).
Old 03-08-23, 06:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dr3wski
Mike, I get the same thing and it occurs almost exactly at 12 mph. I believe this is when something is disengaging (torque converter?...I'm not that smart).
I'm dumber than you when it comes to this stuff but 12 mph smells about right.
Old 04-02-23, 07:55 PM
dr3wski
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
All the cars do it. Some drivers are so light on the gas pedal that it never happens for them. My own car never does the jerk shift anymore now that I go easy on the gas pedal.
I find that the easier I am on the accelerator, the worse this problem is. If I feather it from the top of the pedal, sometimes it will shift smoothly at low speeds/stop-n-go. I am very precise, have excellent proprioception and good control over my inputs.
I also notice that when I go harder on the accelerator at low speeds, it seems to make the shifts smoother. So odd.

*** I have little issues coming to a stop. My main issue is that when I take my foot off the accelerator to coast, then slowly and gently depress the accelerator again (in the 8 - 18 mph range) the tach jumps and you can also feel the car jump a bit. This is clearly something with the transmission.
Old 04-02-23, 11:42 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I think Lexus fixed this issue in later on years. My 19 ES Fsport has been jerking (shifting hard) like this since day 1 brand new, at low speed down shift and up shift , I didn't mind it too much because everything else was so good at the beginning, overshadowed it. Then came Covid the road (city and highway) was empty so I was on Sport+ mode all the time cruising lmao. I replaced the fuel pump under the recall camp at Lexus, not any better. Been 4 years and it's not really bothered me anymore.

I drove a loaner while mine was in for service, it was 2022 ES350 base, about 6K miles, and you guessed it I tested the **** out of the tranny and it's butter smooth 99% of time, the 1% not so smooth because of me, I mean I was hashed to test it.

Anyone with 2021 or 2022 or 2023 still has this transmission issue, I'm pretty sure 19 and 20 years suffer this?

Last edited by july1988; 04-02-23 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-03-23, 08:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by july1988
I think Lexus fixed this issue in later on years. My 19 ES Fsport has been jerking (shifting hard) like this since day 1 brand new, at low speed down shift and up shift , I didn't mind it too much because everything else was so good at the beginning, overshadowed it. Then came Covid the road (city and highway) was empty so I was on Sport+ mode all the time cruising lmao. I replaced the fuel pump under the recall camp at Lexus, not any better. Been 4 years and it's not really bothered me anymore.

I drove a loaner while mine was in for service, it was 2022 ES350 base, about 6K miles, and you guessed it I tested the **** out of the tranny and it's butter smooth 99% of time, the 1% not so smooth because of me, I mean I was hashed to test it.

Anyone with 2021 or 2022 or 2023 still has this transmission issue, I'm pretty sure 19 and 20 years suffer this?
Same for me - most of my miles are freeway and it's really no issue for me.