Looking for stock radio for 93 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 12:54 PM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for stock radio for 93 ES300

I looked through the boards and couldn't find any recent postings of anyone looking to sell their stock radio for an ES300. I believe I can use the stock radio out of a 92-94 as long as it had the factory cd changer in the trunk. My volume **** is broken (a fairly common problem it seems) and lexus wants to charge me 500 dollars for a new one. I'm looking at one on ebay but there's a bidding war going on for it so it's getting a little pricey for a 10 year old stereo deck. Still, if I can even find a radio repair place that will touch it it's going to cost me 200 dollars, and lexus wants to charge me 500...so I think I can just take my chances on a used one.

If you've got a radio that fits the bill and you're willing to part with it, please email me at phlux@***.net

We can discuss price and payment and shipping and all that. I may take this post down shortly if I manage to come out on top in this auction, but we'll see. I have a feeling that won't be the case.
Old 08-26-03, 02:02 PM
521 1N5
Driver School Candidate

man, mine did that too...I just bought an alpine deck...it was a better stereo and for cheaper than my lex dealer was gonna charge.

so that's my advice.
Old 08-26-03, 03:24 PM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

How does that look though? Since the factory stereo is custom fitted to the dash wouldn't an aftermarket part kind of look like crap? I'd like to get a nicer system...preferably something that has an in-dash cd changer, but I really know nothing about car audio and I don't trust those shifty salesmen at the audio stores...they prey on people like me who don't know what they're doing.

Are there custom faceplates that let you put aftermarket decks in a lexus? I've heard people mention them on these forums but every time I click a link for a picture of a website it's invariably broken.

Ultimately if I have to go aftermarket I want something that can do MP3 cds. I don't need anything state of the art really...but mp3 capability would be really nice. Also something that won't completely look like crap on my dash would be a plus. Any links or pictures would be much appreciated.

Still email me if you have a factory radio you're interested in selling. Thanks.
Old 08-26-03, 03:44 PM
521 1N5
Driver School Candidate

well, it looks okay, def. not as good as the lex stock stereo, but there have been so many upgrades to aftermarket stereos compared to a stock 93 stereo....mine has a kit, with a space underneath it for cd cases...It's a better stereo, but it doesn't have the full-fit look of the stock...so it's really your choice...for sound performance, (even though the lex stock is wonderful) I would go aftermarket....if you want it to look full and risk breaking another volume ****..maybe someone will email you.

I don't have pics, but if I had the choice, I would stick with my alpine.

good luck.
Old 08-26-03, 04:27 PM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

Anyone out there know if Lexus or whoever makes the lexus stereos (I think it's Pioneer, and I think Nakamichi makes the high-end optional models, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that one) sell any kind of upgrades? Like anything with an in-dash cd player. I'm just looking for options that are actually meant to fit a lexus dashboard. The audio quality has always been good enough for me, but I loathe, as I'm sure others do, having my 6-disc changer in the trunk. I don't think I've changed my cds in 6 months.
Old 08-26-03, 04:37 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

IMHO when I upgrade mine I'll do the best I can getting an aftermarket to look good on the top 1/3 of the space. The bottom space will get an extra lighter jack and maybe another cubby.

And like it or not somehow I'm gonna build some real drink holders that aint as craptastic as every other toyota on earth :\

From what I've seen (aint done much research thus far) Nothing is going to look "great". So you might aswell get something aftermarket of high quality. Maybe wrap the plastic face in a scrap piece of matching leather or something...

Ya know... Just dress it up somehow.
Old 08-26-03, 04:47 PM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone make some sort of faceplate that covers all the remaining space?
Old 08-26-03, 04:55 PM
madmadrid
Driver

i have a stock radio for a '92, i got a pioneer premier hu put in so the stock radio is sittin in my closet in a box waiting for a buyer. $100 let me know if you want it
Old 08-26-03, 06:20 PM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

Is it in good condition? No scratches, volume **** works and everything, etc..? Do you have a picture? Also is this unit for use with the factory trunk cd changer? I guess there's a model out there that has different buttons...I guess if you didn't order the cd player or something.
Old 08-26-03, 09:07 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I believe there are two versions, one w/o CD changer that says AM, FM1, FM2, TAPE, and another for models with the changer that says AM. FM1/2, TAPE, CD CMP. The 92-96 were all Pioneer, the Nakamichi option didn't show up until '98 or so.
Old 08-27-03, 12:14 AM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have pictures of a '93 ES300 with a '96 upgrade head unit from pioneer installed? I'm dealing with someone selling one. Apparently there's a 6-disc in-dash changer that fits the '93? I haven't heard back from him yet on that account since I just replied to him about 10 minutes ago, but I don't know anything about this stuff. I really like the idea of a newer head unit and I love the in-dash player. My dad has the same deal in his '02 ES300 and it's pretty sweet. My only concern and the reason I'd like to see a picture is because it has a wood finish. I'm fairly certain it's the same wood (that sort of cherry wood color) finish but I don't know how well that blends with the black AC unit. I don't want it to look tacky and I'm unqualified to put one of the wood kits I've seen onto the ac unit.
Old 08-28-03, 12:02 AM
madmadrid
Driver

I gotta look at mine but im pretty sure it has the cd option on it, i gotta get it down and ill take a pic for you when i can
Old 08-28-03, 06:33 AM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate that. I'll try to take a picture of mine later so people will better know what I'm talking about
Old 08-28-03, 05:49 PM
Moohamp
Driver School Candidate

Default 93 ES 300 Stock Radio

I have a stock radio for a 93 ES300. The color is black and it did come from a car with the stock 6 CD changer in the trunk. It came out of a car that also had a black AC unit on the top. It is in very good condition and all the buttons work. I would like to get $175.00 plus shipping for it. Let me know if you are interested and I can take a picture of it.
Old 08-28-03, 06:38 PM
phlux
Driver School Candidate

Can you email me so we can discuss the price privately? phlux@***.net

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Looking for stock radio for 93 ES300