ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What do you think on my intake?
i like it
33.33%
i dont like it
66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

custome intake (soon)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 03:34 PM
ns3425
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custome intake (soon)

just ordered some parts to make a custom intake. ill post up pics of it and a video once i put it in. this is for all you who want a intake for your es300.
also im doing this on my 2001 es300. cant wait to show u guys how AMAZING it is. also hyperboy i dedicate this one to you man.
Old 04-23-08, 04:03 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually put a custom intake in my car not too long ago, ive just been really busy with school to put anything up...

its a pep-boys tubing that runs from the lower front grill into the stock airbox.

at around 60 mph you can feel a huge difference.

it might be all in my head, but i commute with my friend and we're always around cars (meaning repair/modifying) and he says he can definately feel a 10 hp increase.

it wraps around the driver side bumper mount, goes thru where the stock air reservoir was and into the box, (pics soon)

let me know how yours turns out,

Best wishes for your project!!!
Old 04-23-08, 04:06 PM
ns3425
Rookie

o so u have a stock air box on yours? im taking the stock air box out.
Old 04-23-08, 07:50 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

i originally took out everything from the throttle body down out, but then the noise from then injen was a little too loud/ricey for my taste..

this extended hose gives the engine a deeper sound from the front even with the stock box (which yes i kept in for water protection purposes)

if i had the money/time right now i'd definately use a smoother hose to run the air in, but right now school is taking up my time.

i'll try and get pics up tomorrow sometime after 5

Last edited by ES3_Ray; 04-23-08 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Remembered something i wanted to say
Old 04-23-08, 07:58 PM
ns3425
Rookie

o ok i c. waht im doing is taking out the box and putting in a pipe that has MAF holed and then putting a cone on it.
Old 04-23-08, 08:00 PM
pbbnxiltae
Pole Position

if you search there are alot of ppl with custom or after market intake
Old 04-24-08, 08:53 AM
paintrain
Lead Lap

i squeezed one under the hood after i cut it up a lil. ill post a pic when i get a chance. pm if u have a question
Old 04-24-08, 10:20 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=300589
Especially post #9 and on.
Old 04-24-08, 05:11 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Alright so, I went outside this morning, and my car was green with pollen, that has nothing to do with what im posting right now, but i was annoyed because i washed it yesterday, so i took out the California duster lol

but down to business,

after 207,000 miles i started feeling as if i was loosing power and i wanted to change that and put a little something in my car. so i had this flexible intake hose from a friend and it gave me an idea, so i was messing around and i took out the headlight to see what room i had to play with. then i got under and took off the plastic shields. when i saw this massive windshield spray resivoir looking box. (large green outline) and i was thinking, why? so i took that out, and i took the stock cold air tubing (the smaller green outline)

then in order to put the tubing in without breaking it, you have to loosen up the bumper so you can put it between the bumper mount and the bumper cover.

(Don't try and route it/pull it through the hole/gap because it will rip and you'll have to either twist them together, more on that later, or buy a new one depending on where you broke it)

now, one hose is not long enough to make it to the stock air box. you have to buy two 3ft. hoses you can twist the opposite ends together to make a longer hose so it can reach.

I used the coupling that it comes with at the end that goes into the stock airbox and i screwed it in with some really small self tapping stud screws. (they have like 5 threads and it looks like a drill bit at the end)

the coupling doesnt fit perfectly into the stock air box, but that was something i decided to leave instead of sealing off the rest of the little triangle where the coupling sits. i left this off so just in case that .00001% chance my car will drink water from a puddle it can still pull air through instead of pull water up the intake hose.

I drilled a hole in the bumper behind the lower grill so i could ziptie the hose end where you see the picture, if you look up there, there is a little over hang that supports the Styrofoam just drill a small hole in that overhang and put a hole in the intake tube and zip tie it up there, (my mistake was pulling the hose down to put a hole in it and drilling it on the top and not realizing that it rotates when u pull it down so when i put it back up, the hole did not line up. just hold it up there, hold your finger where it meets the hole in the bumper and bring it down, you will see what i mean if you do this mod)

The hose runs along the yellow/green line.
Old 04-26-08, 05:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have done quite a bit of intake modifications (perhaps too many) on my RX300, but I think you have generally the right idea there. At sea level, the tubing can be a bit longer down to the front bumper as long as you keep the stock airbox or run a filter in its place with a heat shield over it. However, if you just run a straight tube from the throttle body all the way down to the bumper, it can stall. I generally like to keep a short ram system up top followed by a cai extension down below. Another reason for this, is that at sea level especially, you can ram too much air without the short ram at the top and the vehicle will actually jerk when it gets too much air and occasionally will pop a P0171 lean error.

I would just keep up the good work and let me know if you run into any issues.
Old 04-26-08, 07:16 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

i notice alot more low end torque, aka wheel spin off the start, and i noticed its MUCH easier to go from 70 to 100 mph. 110 comes easy too lol...

but about the pollen, theres a filter in the way, and i seriously doubt that it can make it all the way up since the tubing is ridged. i even sprayed a hi pressure washer in the hole to test, not one drop got up to the box.

at one point i did have it sealed off to test it out (sealed with electrical tape) it was completely sealed and i know this because i used a leaf blower to feel for leaks, then i started it up and i noticed it was drawing in a greater volume of air through the hose because i could now feel the air being sucked in through the front of the hose. but, i took off the electrical tape just in case that very unlikely chance of driving through a puddle that goes up to the fog light (I'm a little paranoid in that sense)

besides that, nothing but good results =D

EDIT:

also i remember when i first put it in, i would drive home from school, pop the hood open real quick and open up the air box, with 60 degree weather the unsealed box would be pretty chilly. COLD AIR INTAKE WORKS!! whoo!

Last edited by ES3_Ray; 04-26-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-27-08, 11:54 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

A stock intake is not restrictive, and is already a CAI.
Not only was is it already a CAI, but it is recieving air from a higher pressure zone on the car, where-as your ducting is from a lower pressure zone off to the bottom and side of the car.

Plus, if you build a manometer, you'll find out that a CAI has the same amount of imprecieveable pressure increase in the pre-throttlebody intake that any other non highly specialized N/A intake does.
Thenths of a horsepower, and most intakes loose VS the stock.

All you can really do to the intakes is ditch, or byspass the resonator to change the sound.

Water is of no concern unless you like driving in ponds.
Old 04-27-08, 11:59 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

^ And a veteran voice of reason returns to the forum, and this topic especially.

I gave up on trying to find the article that goes with the picture you posted there. You used to link to it quite a bit, since the "intake on an ES" topic comes up once a month seemingly.
Old 04-27-08, 12:17 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

its been a while to hear from him! good stuff...

but im happy with my intake.. looks good sounds good..
Old 04-27-08, 01:26 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

ty. My only point was that intakes are 100% sound until you get into something that's very sensative, like a turbo.

Quick Reply: custome intake (soon)