ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Scary problem, Car shuts off but keeps running....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 07:45 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Scary problem, Car shuts off but keeps running....

Hello all,

For anyone that has an idea this is what recently happened. The car still runs and only does this when i hit a big bump.

I was driving my car, and accelerating, in the middle of it i hit a bump and the entire car shut off (Lights, sound and engine) It came RIGHT back on and the engine was still running, all this happened within 1 second.

ive looked around and from what ive read, it might be the battery, alternator or grounding wires. I wiggled the grounding wires to see if anything would happen, nothing. The only other thing i can think of is the possibly the battery juice being tossed around (very unlikely but idk, someone know about this?) or the wires in or going to the alternator.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-18-08, 07:54 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3_Ray
Hello all,

For anyone that has an idea this is what recently happened. The car still runs and only does this when i hit a big bump.

I was driving my car, and accelerating, in the middle of it i hit a bump and the entire car shut off (Lights, sound and engine) It came RIGHT back on and the engine was still running, all this happened within 1 second.

ive looked around and from what ive read, it might be the battery, alternator or grounding wires. I wiggled the grounding wires to see if anything would happen, nothing. The only other thing i can think of is the possibly the battery juice being tossed around (very unlikely but idk, someone know about this?) or the wires in or going to the alternator.

Thanks for any help.

My inclination is to suspect a loose battery cable, a bad terminal, or loose fuse
Old 10-18-08, 10:33 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i say check battery also, i actually had this happen to me once.
Charley
Old 10-19-08, 01:59 PM
BrianES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like your flux capacitor that powers the transducer malfunctioner is malfunctioning. hope u laugh, se ya
Old 10-19-08, 04:06 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Smile phew...

found out what it was..

came back from a car show (Show and Go VW/Audi @ Englishtown, NJ with a VW friend!! i didnt bring the Lex down there) and i was lookin in my engine bay. I heard buzzing around the fuel filter area and i thought it was the sound of electricity arcing. but i didnt see or smell anything. kept looking and i finally shook the battery to find it was pretty darn loose. I checked the battery hold down bracket and found that the bolt holding it to the top radiator support bar was rusted and wore the threads out.

Looking at the pictures you can see that the angle iron piece holding the rear of the battery swung over and tapped the positive terminal twice, which checks out because it happened to me two times (once by accident, and another trying to reproduce the situation later)

So, i drilled and tapped a bigger bolt into the rusted hole and remounted it

i will test soon whether or not i can cause the car to do it again.

edit: THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING AND GIVING ME IDEAS!!!

Last edited by ES3_Ray; 10-19-08 at 04:08 PM. Reason: forgot to say thank you to everyone.
Old 10-19-08, 04:10 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrianES300
Sounds to me like your flux capacitor that powers the transducer malfunctioner is malfunctioning. hope u laugh, se ya
lol, it did make me laugh. thanks for that haha