ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ABS Light is ON! 1995 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 01:29 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ABS Light is ON! 1995 ES300

Hi Guys,

Brought my car in for transmission work; they had to replace the front pump seal. After getting the car back, I immediately notice that the ABS light is on. The shop told me that they scan the code and got "35" which they said is a problem with the right rear sensor. They said that they only worked on the front left tire for the transmission work and didn't touch the back tires so they are not responsible.

How do I know what code 35 means(if this is even the right one they are telling me)? Can this be scan by AutoZone?

How should I proceed with this shop?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-07, 03:10 PM
djdoughboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone can scan the code for you... but the thing is... ABS is a 4 wheel system, so if they were working on any of the wheels at all... I would hold them responsible.
Old 01-13-07, 06:38 AM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply djdoughboy,

I want to hold them responsible. The question is how do I know it wasn't coincidence that my right rear wheel sensor is out like they claim?

I will definitely bring it to AutoZone to have it scan, but does anyone know what the codes mean? So far the shop gave me a 35, is there another code which indicates which tire it is?

If someone could post from the service manual what the ABS codes mean I really appreciate it.
Old 01-13-07, 07:40 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4.0
Thanks for the reply djdoughboy,

I want to hold them responsible. The question is how do I know it wasn't coincidence that my right rear wheel sensor is out like they claim?

I will definitely bring it to AutoZone to have it scan, but does anyone know what the codes mean? So far the shop gave me a 35, is there another code which indicates which tire it is?

If someone could post from the service manual what the ABS codes mean I really appreciate it.
Don't you hate those strange "coincidences" that sometimes crop up after getting automotive work done?
I've had two of them in recent months.
First, I had my cooling system flushed and new coolant put in. Immediately following that, I developed a leak in the system somewhere. Took it back to the shop that did the flush and they checked it out. Cost me another $52 for them to tell me that my water pump was leaking...just a strange "coincidence" that it started leaking the day that I got the system flushed. And of course, it was not their fault.
The next "coincidence" happened when I had the timing belt replaced (and the water pump) at a different shop. The next day, the "check engine" light started coming on which had never come on before. I had the trouble code pulled and it indicated a knock sensor. So, I checked with Toyota and they figured it could likely be a problem with the timing. They said a knock sensor almost never has to be replaced. Took it back to the shop that did the t-belt, and they recommended I replace the knock sensor. Just a "coincidence" that it happened right after they worked on the car.
So, I sincerely wish you luck with your "coincidence".
Old 01-13-07, 08:34 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

wow, Lexucan, I hope the shops help pay for some of those "coincidence"! You can't help but think that they screwed up something while replacing the parts.

I went to AutoZone today and no luck. They hooked it up from their scanner and cannot scan my ABS code. They said that they can check the "Check Engine Light" but cannot do anything with ABS. Any other options before I have to bring it to the dealer for a scan that will cost me over $100?!

Does anyone have an idea on the code 35 that was given to me?
Old 01-14-07, 11:22 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone help me? If you have a service manual, can you look up the trouble code 35. I did a search and saw a quote but it was not clear to me what it meant. Also, should I be getting another code to tell me which wheel it is coming from?
Old 01-16-07, 10:30 AM
djdoughboy
Driver

35 is open circuit in front left or rear right rear speed sensor circuit.

and just so you know... all it takes is a good bump to knock the magnets out of alignment on those... and they will fail... if the car was just worked on... it is very hard for me to not hold that mechanic responsible... hope that helps

Cheers,
Sean
Old 01-16-07, 10:52 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Sean,

Thanks for the info! I called up the mechanic to discuss about the code and they admit that after they worked on the transmission, which required them to pull the left front wheel axle, the ABS light came on. I was also able to find out that they had another code, 32, which specifically indicate that the left front sensor had a problem. Bottomline, they agreed to fix the problem at no charge. I will drop off the car tomorrow and will give an update later on.
Old 01-17-07, 12:25 PM
djdoughboy
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4.0
Sean,

Thanks for the info! I called up the mechanic to discuss about the code and they admit that after they worked on the transmission, which required them to pull the left front wheel axle, the ABS light came on. I was also able to find out that they had another code, 32, which specifically indicate that the left front sensor had a problem. Bottomline, they agreed to fix the problem at no charge. I will drop off the car tomorrow and will give an update later on.
Hey! Thats great news Glad I could help
Old 01-18-07, 08:00 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Thanks to djdoughboy. Car was picked up this evening, no ABS light and the wheels are not locking after hard braking! Another good work done here at CL! Thanks again!