ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Exhaust(ing?) Renovation - '92 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 09:56 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust(ing?) Renovation - '92 ES300

Base Parts Selection:

JIC Stainless Steel Canister DE Type 2 muffler
Part #: DET2SU-D
Inlet Diameter: 3.15" (80 mm), Tip Style: Dual
MSRP $398

OBX SS Header
93-98 ES300 92-97 Camry 3.0L V6 FED
MSRP $275

I got my first estimate in for the additional parts and labor:

Quoted Parts (w/ Installation included):
Install converter, performance resonator & cat-back pipe
Quoted:
$500 (with ceramic style aftermarket catalytic converter)
$575 (w/ racing metal converter; 20% more efficient than ceramic)

Pipe:
2.5” Aluminized tubing
2.5” Stainless steel – add $200
2.5” Mandrel bent stainless steel system – add $400

Quoted Labor:
Header Installation: Tech has dealt with OBX headers in the past, and comments that sometimes the flanges do not fit correctly and need to be cut and re-welded
Quoted: $350-450
Total Basic Parts & Installation Price:
$398 - Muffler
$275 - Headers
$500 - Install converter, performance resonator & cat-back pipe
$450 - Header install (always count on the top of the estimated range)
$1623

With mandrel bent stainless steel system (which I was aiming for when I started): $2023

This is very disappointing. Disheartening.
Is this in line with what others have paid before?
Is this a "hey you've gotta pay to play" deal?
Or is this just way outta line?

Last edited by Slooooooow; 07-27-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-27-07, 01:48 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

It's way high in some respects. Like the cat (a 2.5" weld-in high flow cat is $75).
I can believe the header labor. The rear bank is tricky when the exhaust is hot.
Installing the cat-back is boarderline too much imo. I could believe $400. It's a basically straight piece of pipe with 5 welds.

When compairing base materials... It realy depends on what you're using. The low grade finishes of typical tubing or pipe found on exhausts is not particularly expencive.
At 2.5" a typical price per foot for straight tubing 16ga thick works out around:
$5 mild steel
$5 aluminized mild steel
$9 alu
$11 t304 stainless
And goes up from there. (316's, 321's, etc.)
Old 08-13-07, 08:37 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Question

For our cars it appears we have three choices for headers:
  1. Custom
  2. OBX
  3. Bosal
At the recommendation of several of our Camry cousins, I've begun researching Bosal.

A search, by vehicle, on their website brings up the attached exhaust system graphic.

Questions:
  • Does anyone here have experience with Bosal?
  • Would this system be considered an upgrade replacement or more of an OEM-type replacement?
  • If an upgrade, why not purchase Bosal from header to muffler?
  • Any other thoughts/recommendations/advice?
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust(ing?) Renovation - '92 ES300-bosal-exhaust-92es300-800x492-.jpg  
Old 10-15-07, 07:31 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool Mission Accomplished (Mostly) [No 56.k]

THE OLD Stock Exhaust System

The old custom y-pipe, with TWO sections of flex pipe, is pictured.
Notice how the rear pipe coming from the headers is routed from the rear of the engine then forward toward the front of the car. It then meets with the other pipe at the "y". In addition to this being an inefficient design, we noticed it was slightly crimped at the junction.

The exhaust flow looking back from the y-pipe toward the stock catalytic converter next.

The stock resonator:

The stock pipe leading to the Toyota muffler and the muffler and tips:

I'm taking these pictures of the stock system and showing them online for those of you who haven't had the opportunity to get under your ES and see how your baby exhales in stock condition.
Additionally, it will help you appreciate the new system pictures more, which happen to be coming up...next.....

Last edited by Slooooooow; 02-27-08 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-15-07, 07:43 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool The NEW Custom Exhaust System (Part 1)

THE NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM!

Here's the new custom y-pipe. The air flow now leads down and out toward the rear of the vehicle (as opposed to down, forward, crimped and out).

ONE piece of flex pipe leading to the new Magnaflow Center-Center Spun Metallic Racing Catalytic Converter (59900):

The new works leading back to the resonator (keep it!):

A reverse view from the resonator, forward towards the front of the ES:

Last edited by Slooooooow; 02-27-08 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-15-07, 07:45 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool The NEW Custom Exhaust System (Part 2)

Leading to the new Magnaflow muffler and 3.5" tips:

Last edited by Slooooooow; 02-27-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-15-07, 08:48 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome. Looks so clean and sweet.

Let us know if you notice any power gains.

How's the breathing? How's it sound?
Old 10-15-07, 09:26 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by LXMN
That is awesome. Looks so clean and sweet.

Let us know if you notice any power gains.

How's the breathing? How's it sound?
I’ve noticed some mid-range pep that wasn’t there before. I’m guessing that’s coming from the bump up from 2.25” to 2.5” pipe.

The sounds coming from this system are magnificent for the most part. They came in after they finished saying, “Man! I can’t believe it sounds like this. Those are not six cylinder sounds!” I thought, “Oh sure,” but it’s really low, deep and rumbling. When I stepped outside I went over to the owners’ IS350 and was checking it out when I heard a car fire up. I thought, “Whoa!” turned around and lo, and behold, it was my ES.

That being said, there truly is too much sound from throttle application up until about 45 MPH. The sound at 2000 RPM is literally painful as it reverberates into the cabin. Any music or speech in the cabin is buffeted by the sound waves that emanate from the muffler. After 45 MPH and up through the highway cruising range, things are fine. It makes me quite sad, but I think I’m going to be forced to go with another muffler.

Please chime in with any recommendations quickly. I’ll be returning to the shop next Saturday morning as they slightly dinged my Magnaflow muffler and are planning on replacing it anyway. I don’t think any of the brands they sell will end up being considerably quieter than the Magnaflow. I’ll likely have to find something elsewhere and take it with me.

McElligott mentioned “silencers” for the tailpipes. I’m not familiar with those, but if applying them means I get to keep my current setup as-is, I’d love it.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 10-15-07 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-15-07, 10:47 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Wow excellent pictures showing the restrictive stock y-pipe. I really like the new custom y-pipe setup u got there. As for the 2000rpm cabin drone, that's the reason why i've held off on doing the exhaust. I can't stand that drone, esp. on a lexus. The magnaflow itself is a fairly quiet exhaust so i think what contributes to the drone might be the upgrade of the piping from 2.25" to 2.5". The piping is already laid so i guess what you can do is try to replace the magnaflow with a stock one or a dynomax muffler.

BTW, How much did all this work and parts cost you?
Old 10-15-07, 01:05 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awsome post up a youtube video so we can hear what it sounds like.
Old 10-15-07, 04:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

That's wonderful, very clean looking. I just did a flex pipe over the weekend to fix a bad joint. Always a lot of fun when you do exhaust work.
Old 10-15-07, 10:13 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Choas
Yes please
Old 10-15-07, 11:02 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

WOW looks sweeeeeet.

Youtube that for us es's with stock exhaust =]
Old 10-16-07, 10:32 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Damn bro that looks nice. I'm also anxious to hear some sound clips, and maybe some pics from the rear to see how that muffler looks with the body. You should also try to get it up on a dyno and see if you are making any more power over stock. Good work thus far!
Old 10-16-07, 11:05 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by maniax
Wow excellent pictures showing the restrictive stock y-pipe. I really like the new custom y-pipe setup u got there. As for the 2000rpm cabin drone, that's the reason why i've held off on doing the exhaust. I can't stand that drone, esp. on a lexus. The magnaflow itself is a fairly quiet exhaust so i think what contributes to the drone might be the upgrade of the piping from 2.25" to 2.5". The piping is already laid so i guess what you can do is try to replace the magnaflow with a stock one or a dynomax muffler.
Thanks to McElligott, I've located and ordered a couple of exhaust tip silencers from a place online. The exhaust system, as-is, is so pretty that I didn't want to ugly it up just to quiet it down some, but McElligott found some really attractive silencers. I'll let you know how they work.
Originally Posted by maniax
BTW, How much did all this work and parts cost you?
Here's the cost breakdown for my new exhaust system project:
  1. Magnaflow Muffler 14278 Polished Stainless (Single / Dual, 3" Inlet/ Dual 2.25" Outlet, 18" Body Length, 24" Overall Length. )- $200
  2. Exhaust Pipe: Custom 2.5" - $60
  3. Intermediate Pipe: Custom Y-pipe with Flex Union 2.25" - $150
  4. Axle Pipe: Custom 2.5" - $60
  5. Resonator - $55
  6. Flex Union - $125
  7. Magnaflow Spun Body Metallic Catalytic Converters - $220
  8. Silverline Stainless Steel Tips 3.5" - $150
  9. Exhaust Labor - $230
Total Cost: $1250

Not too bad considering the quality components, the customized system, the craftsmanship and the included warranties, in my opinion.
I can't say enough about the place at which I had everything fabricated and installed. My ES felt a little, um, shall we say "frugal" compared to the machines sitting in the next bays. Apparently if you have a show car and/or need something custom done, Kinneys is the place.
I also can't wait to take my Legacy GT and my Regency van there to see what they can do with those.

Originally Posted by Choas
I will get you some video footage of the system for sure! I may enlist Kinneys to help out. If you've browsed to their website by now, you can tell they know how to video an exhaust system. This system has such a low tone though, I don't know how you'd hear it right without quite the subwoofer. One way or the other though, I'll get it done for ya.
Originally Posted by MCG33
Damn bro that looks nice. I'm also anxious to hear some sound clips, and maybe some pics from the rear to see how that muffler looks with the body. You should also try to get it up on a dyno and see if you are making any more power over stock. Good work thus far!
I'll get some pics and video for you. I've got to find a place where a guy can dyno a FWD (a.k.a. "WWD") car. It'd be worth it to get a run or three down and see what she comes up with.

Quick Reply: Exhaust(ing?) Renovation - '92 ES300