ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

need help buyin muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 03:31 PM
Xterminate
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help buyin muffler

Hey all.... I'm trying to go find a muffler for my 98 lexus es 300 but I have no clue where to start I want a deep low noise, kinda like a infinity g35 and nissan 350z that kinda of low noise.... it doesn't have to be exact but around that ballpark. I notice that the stock muffler is a bolt on right so how do I go and look for an aftermarket muffler that will have the same configuration so I just bolt it on instead of welding it?

If I had to weld it will the shop know what to do or I have to get a certain pipe to "extend it"? I am looking for something that produce that low deep noise but doesn't necessarily have to look like ricerz........ round tip 2.5" to 3" round mufflers. Please help guys....

Give me the model number and stuff also so I can check them out, also I'm looking to spend somewhere of $100 for a muffler or even less if great! Thanks a lot guys.....
Old 04-02-08, 05:56 PM
paintrain
Lead Lap

if you want a nice exhaust with a deep tone i think ur out of luck. most companies dont make the kinds of exhausts ur lookin for for the es. they mostly concentrate on the gs and is. BUT, an alternative could be a short ram intake. i built one for my 95 es and it sounds nice but isnt wicked loud. so id go with a short ram intake, just dont resort to a ricer muffler.
Old 04-02-08, 05:59 PM
paintrain
Lead Lap

oh and u dont have to build one. Weapon R and Fugita make short rams for ur car
Old 04-02-08, 07:36 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Xterminate
I want a deep low noise, kinda like a infinity g35 and nissan 350z that kinda of low noise.... it doesn't have to be exact but around that ballpark.
Here's what I found for you:

In THIS THREAD you'll find Maxx941 describing the sound of his new muffler as such:
Originally Posted by Maxx941
I've had the Fireball Mega for about 2 weeks now. Its direct bolt on. Very low tone, Not loud by any means. Many people told me they can't even hear it. But I can, Its low, when your rev past 3-4 I dont even hear it anymore. I hear more engine.

I'll start a new thread and post some pics up soon..
And take a peek at THIS THREAD wherein you'll get pics and a description of the muffler that pretty much fits your description altogether. Here's one quote from that thread:
Originally Posted by Leets
Yep. At idle the volume isn't significantly louder, but there is a deeper tone to it. It gets a little more aggresive as you lay on the throttle, but it never gets "loud". The muffler is rated at topping out at 87dB. To my ears it made my car sound similar to a stock G35 coupe.
Give me the model number and stuff also so I can check them out, also I'm looking to spend somewhere of $100 for a muffler or even less if great! Thanks a lot guys.....
This is the part where you're kinda screwed. Having shopped around myself within the last year, there's very little, if anything, decent that you're going to find less than or equal to $100.

On top of that, depending on how much of the pipe you replace along with the muffler, your greatest problem is going to be resonance. Do NOT sacrifice a resonator with your purchase (think angry bees in a tin can). In order to overcome the resonance with an aftermarket muffler you might even have to consider adding a 2nd resonator.

Always keep in mind you're in an entry level premium luxury automobile, so you don't want it sounding like every sportted-up economy car out there.

If you need any additional help, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 04-02-08, 08:33 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd look into some of the mufflers by Magnaflow. My youner bro had them on his first gen GS300 and it pretty much sounds like what you're trying to descirbe. Nice low rumble, no raspiness, sounds pretty good throughout the whole rpm range.
Old 04-03-08, 02:44 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

The 5Zigen muffler I got is no joke. What I mean by that is its Pricey, Heavy, Rare, and doesn't sound like a Rice car.
Does is sound close to a G35 ahhh so so. Not really. But I only heard the G driving around once or twice.

Magnaflow got some Nice looking mufflers, I think slooow got one.

Tanabe was suppose to release an exhaust but still ain't seen the real deal.

Someone found an OBX cat-back on ebay for cheap, but who knows how that sounds.
Old 04-03-08, 05:41 PM
Xterminate
Driver

i was looking at some magnaflow but i dont know which one will fit! Also man that 5zigen is almost 800, thats no joke Slooow.... what do you mean by a resonator, where is it located?
Old 04-03-08, 05:44 PM
Xterminate
Driver

i saw some fairly cheap but very nice looking magnaflow, around 100, doesn't look like a direct bolt on like this one however.... so how would I have to attach it?
Old 04-03-08, 06:33 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

weld it. =]
Old 04-03-08, 07:40 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

i was looking at some magnaflow but i dont know which one will fit! Also man that 5zigen is almost 800, thats no joke Slooow.... what do you mean by a resonator, where is it located?

Here ya go, bud! Check this thread and you'll see what I went through getting a complete exhaust for my 2nd gen. (What year is yours again?) Most importantly, you'll see pics of a completely stock ES exhaust system to help answer your questions. It'll also give you a ballpark of costs. Especially since I initially went with a Magnaflow muffler, that I can't recommend because of the insufferable resonance it caused throughout the car; I actually had body panels start buzzing due to the resonance.

Here's some brainfood to explain your exhaust, and to give you some idea of what the resonator is for as well (since you asked specifically about it).
Old 04-03-08, 07:55 PM
Xterminate
Driver

wow sloooow thats too much money to spend I like the magnaflow you have though! I want to ask you if it's possible to just stick that magnaflow muffler and weld it to the stock exhaust pipe since my 98 es 300 doesn't have the resonator I don't think! I know it just have that catalytic converter then a straight pipe down....