ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New member (on ES Forums) 01 ES300 Coach Edition Timeline

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 07:51 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Have fun with those HIDs

They require a little bit of modding to fit properly. Just FYI. Use the caps that the bulb [HID] comes in. The little gasket piece that holds the bulb in place of the two parts that protect the bulb, cut a slit in it to make it smaller in diameter and use it as a spacer. As well your probably gonna have to bend the metal clips a little bit so they push more against the bulb.

GL!
I had HIDs on my 94 ES300 I did it custom too. Didn't think about reusing the plastic spacer that comes in the packaging hmmm, oh well I already did it. I just cut the retaining piece that is OEM you'll see in the pictures I post later tonight.
Old 02-26-10, 08:23 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

2-26-10

Projects:
Changed out old and worthless hood gas shocks
Test fitted the Toyota wheel locks
Installed custom mounted HID bulbs and ballasts

More good progress today.

So I started today by taking off the old hood gas struts. They weren't holding the hood open at all so no more broomstick hood prop.

Bottom bolt off (12mm)

Top Bolt off (12mm)

New bolt provided with the new struts (13mm)

Using the existing lower bolt and snapping in the top bolt to the assembly it was done in under 2 minutes

OEM Toyota Wheel Locks

Test fitted them to make sure the thread pitches were correctomundo!

Then started the HID project. These things weren't meant to go in easy lol. I have done this before on my old ES300 so it helped knowing what I had to do to modify them to fit.

Nasty old Halogens

Back of the housings

Took off the main grommet

Took out the stock H7 halogen bulb (notice the bottom spacer that is plastic it should slide right off with the plug for the bulb)

Said spacer

Basically what you want to do to make it work is drill out a rectangular shape following the shape of the prongs on the back so I start with drilling 4 holes on the perimeter of the prongs

Then I flip it over and drill out the center

Then I took a dremel to it and traced out the 4 outer holes just like connecting the dots

Once that was done I filed out the inside to make it smooth

Ran the HID wires through and test fitted the hole to the bulb

Not too shabby first try!

Brushed some liquid electrical tape on the back to make it a good seal to keep out the dust and water.

Put the bulb in and put the grommet back over it

Plugged her in and here is the 5000K goodness!

Done for today. I should have the trunk lid back Monday or Tuesday
Old 02-26-10, 08:34 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dang man...looks like a ES project added to the GS line.
Old 02-26-10, 09:25 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
dang man...looks like a ES project added to the GS line.
haha yeah, just trying to get as much done before she comes back home from college.
Old 03-03-10, 01:56 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Picking up the trunk lid and trunk lip spoiler tonight from my paint guy. The fog light replacement bulbs came in the mail and the new silver/chrome centercaps came in the mail the other day. Hopefully everything will come together soon. Just waiting on the wheels to get done down at the powdercoatering place. Then, it is a wrap!
Old 03-03-10, 08:57 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice clean ES, however, not a fan of all the wood-trim and black leather. the wood-trim acctually makes the car look older, in my opinion.
Old 03-03-10, 09:21 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesBond1
Nice clean ES, however, not a fan of all the wood-trim and black leather. the wood-trim acctually makes the car look older, in my opinion.

You realize that its OEM out of the factory right?

And the only difference is the radio being wood faced, and the steering wheel. Which from what i remember was a 1000$ option on these cars.

Other than that its the same as your 98...

To each his own my interior is the same and most of the members on here want it! The black is the most sought after interior on these cars, majority got the other colors...
Old 03-03-10, 09:43 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JamesBond1
To each his own. Thanks for following along with my thread. I am glad that I get to work on a car while my car is down. All these little mods are keeping me happy lol. In my GS I covered all of the wood trim with carbn fiber and resin but I was going a completely different route with that car. More sporty. The ES is intended to be my GF's daily so luxury, quietness, smoothness, and efficiency are key.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
You realize that its OEM out of the factory right?

And the only difference is the radio being wood faced, and the steering wheel. Which from what i remember was a 1000$ option on these cars.

Other than that its the same as your 98...

To each his own my interior is the same and most of the members on here want it! The black is the most sought after interior on these cars, majority got the other colors...
My thoughts exactly but if we all had the same opinions I guess we'd all be driving the same exact car. I've learned to be open to others' ideas and opinions so it is all cool.
Old 03-04-10, 04:18 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Nice find, great work on the HID installation and everything else
Old 03-07-10, 04:11 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Maxx941
Nice find, great work on the HID installation and everything else
thanks i like ur wheels
Old 03-08-10, 06:34 AM
Limen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car offically sucks!!!

Ok, I kid, I kid...the car is coming along very nicely. I'll be sure to keep following this thread.
Old 03-08-10, 08:58 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

so you just replace the old light bulb with the "HID" light bulb? Aren't there any Ballast or some kind of electric box looks alike to do that?

and where did you get your HID bulb?
Old 03-09-10, 08:12 AM
Specter
Driver

carbongs... Sweet ride
Old 03-09-10, 11:36 AM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbongs.. your gs is so sick! I just checked it out on cardomain. Funny thing is I was about to go to Paul's exhaust in snellville but everytime I tried calling the line was cut. Friend told me they went out of business. He got his bmw 528 done there. Ended up going to lord's custom in lawrenceville.

Oh and.. that es is looking clean now. I like the perforated leather. It seems like black interiors are hard to keep clean.
Old 03-09-10, 07:20 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Limen
Your car offically sucks!!!
Ok, I kid, I kid...the car is coming along very nicely. I'll be sure to keep following this thread.
Thanks I will update more once I get my laptop back from my friend. Stupid viruses.

Originally Posted by intermec
so you just replace the old light bulb with the "HID" light bulb? Aren't there any Ballast or some kind of electric box looks alike to do that? and where did you get your HID bulb?
No, I did the whole install with ballasts and all. I will update with finished pictures soon. I got it from an ebay seller.

Originally Posted by Specter
carbongs... Sweet ride
Thanks!

Originally Posted by kaldES98
Carbongs.. your gs is so sick! I just checked it out on cardomain. Funny thing is I was about to go to Paul's exhaust in snellville but everytime I tried calling the line was cut. Friend told me they went out of business. He got his bmw 528 done there. Ended up going to lord's custom in lawrenceville.

Oh and.. that es is looking clean now. I like the perforated leather. It seems like black interiors are hard to keep clean.
Yeah, Paul's was the shizzz. Unfortunately they are no longer doing things. Lord's is pretty good. I took my truck there when they were still in Buford. good stuff!

Yeah true that on the black interior. It is so nice though when it is clean.

Quick Reply: New member (on ES Forums) 01 ES300 Coach Edition Timeline