ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 01:21 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus Air Intake

I got many questions I want to keep this Lexus going strong. I got a question about Intake I currently have the OEM intake, should I switch it out with a Weapon R intake? If So which is a good choice?

http://www.coopscustoms.com/product/...id=p198-c27100

Or are there any other better one out there? please link me thank you!

2000 Lexus ES300 V6
Old 03-30-10, 02:57 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what you want to accomplish. All this will get you is more induction noise. It says "ram air," but if I'm picturing it right, it won't really be getting a substantial amount of cold air - might be sucking in some hot air from the engine bay, which will result in a loss of power. If you just want to "keep it going strong," OEM does a fine job.
Old 03-30-10, 06:09 PM
dcapo
Driver

that weapon r would be the best aftermarket intake for the es
Old 03-30-10, 08:37 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dcapo
that weapon r would be the best aftermarket intake for the es
is it worth replacing the OEM though with the price?
Old 03-30-10, 09:29 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i only installed the intake on my car for the sound, and the sound makes me feel i get some gain, but do i really i doubt it
Old 03-30-10, 10:21 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IamLexus
is it worth replacing the OEM though with the price?
depends on what it's worth to you. It's $200 for a bit more induction noise. No gain of power, and a potential loss of power depending on if you have it sectioned off from the hot air in the engine bay.
Old 03-31-10, 10:57 AM
dcapo
Driver

Originally Posted by BoostedE21
depends on what it's worth to you. It's $200 for a bit more induction noise. No gain of power, and a potential loss of power depending on if you have it sectioned off from the hot air in the engine bay.
yeh very true, an open air intake wont get u too much on the performance side, but if u add a heat shield on the intake n heat wrap on tube, u set
Old 03-31-10, 09:41 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Better off running some duct into the bottom of the airbox which would replace the tiny intake funnel from the factory.

I will be doing it this summer, just gotta buy a cheapo generic intake for 10$ off eBay and use it for the piping and to make a cleaner install vs. home depot ducting! LOL
Old 03-31-10, 10:39 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

yeh very true, an open air intake wont get u too much on the performance side, but if u add a heat shield on the intake n heat wrap on tube, u set
That's sort of hard to read....but adding a head shield still won't make it into a real ram air system. I stand by my statement that you're really only looking at a minor increase in induction noise, and a fractional horsepower increase at the front wheels.
Old 04-01-10, 12:44 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BoostedE21
That's sort of hard to read....but adding a head shield still won't make it into a real ram air system. I stand by my statement that you're really only looking at a minor increase in induction noise, and a fractional horsepower increase at the front wheels.
So its not worth getting a intake, basically is their any mod I can do to give this Lexus a better car?
Old 04-01-10, 11:36 AM
dcapo
Driver

intake and muffler are the 1st steps u should do for any car when u start to mod it, i did mine custom made pipe with a heat shield, just a prototype tho, works wonders, i can definitely feel the difference, google diy heat shield intake and u will get an idea, its been proven b4 for short ram intakes, think about it, all your doing is adding a better intake pipe and filter and making a airbox for it so that the airflow str8 into the engine

option #2 enlarge the intake duct hole, and go cold air (intake located behind fender), its been done b4 on the 2nd gen

here an ex of others car, with a garbage can, which i also have on mine, hey whatever works lol
there plenty of routes u go, with the aluminum sheet and rubber strips
Old 04-01-10, 11:42 AM
dcapo
Driver

idk who this is, but he has nice intake tho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQvReleqPGQ
Old 04-01-10, 01:58 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ nice tupperware.

modding the stock airbox is just as effective, and your 'butt dyno' is far from accurate. Hearing more 'growl' =/= more power... Sorry to break it to you.

cut out the fins in the airbox, for a smooth airflow as they serve as a resonator/baffle to keep it quiet, route some nice flex pipe into it, looks stock, sounds just as loud.
Old 04-01-10, 02:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd take the direct flow exhaust first...you'll feel the difference.
Old 04-01-10, 04:45 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

intake and muffler are the 1st steps u should do for any car when u start to mod it,
....but if you want to actually make a real difference, you should start with tires and brakes. 90% of the time, intake and exhaust just add noise - and with all the other muffling devices in modern exhausts, the noise usually isn't that good. Any torque they actually add will be lost through inefficiencies in the drive train, and end up as a fraction of a horsepower at the wheels. Those e-bay claims of "OMG PUT THIS FILTER ON AND YOU'LL GET 50 MORE HORSEPOWER!" are absolute bull****. You wouldn't even get 50 more hp at the crank if you completely removed the filter and any restrictions in the induction system altogether, and fed the engine ice cold air.

OP, the ES300 is a luxury cruiser. It's not a rocket ship, and you're not going to make it into one without spending a HUGE amount of money. If you want slightly more induction noise under WOT, you can get that with a less restrictive intake system. I wouldn't really recommend most "cut and weld" muffler applications, because most of them sound absolutely awful. The ES has a surprisingly good sounding induction noise - that's what you want to hear. Not a can of bees fighting in the rear of your car.

As for power...how much do you want? I have a friend who could make you a supercharger, but it's going to cost a few thousand dollars.

Quick Reply: Lexus Air Intake