ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

LED Conversion - Straightforward with Links

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 09:43 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default LED Conversion - Straightforward with Links

**This was done on a 2001 ES300. I don't guarantee it's accuracy. I'm merely trying to help others avoid wasting the time I did figuring out which bulbs should fit.**

Before reading this thread I highly recommend you read 01EXPL's thread on this subject here. He provides excellent pictures and retrofitting that you won't find here and is where I got the idea for this similar yet more condensed write-up. I merely collected together the links that people who don't use ebay can follow to purchase the bulbs that I used since I haven't yet found a thread that provides an easy-to-follow list of links to purchase the exact bulbs used.

I did a very basic conversion using www.superbrightleds.com (I have no affiliation with them). I swapped out the incandescent bulbs for the door courtesy, roof domes, glovebox, trunk and the license plate lights for LED's (8 bulbs in total). In the event that the links below ever go bad, here is a list of the bulbs;

2 | 921-x9 Wedge Base LED bulb | $ 3.70 |
White 921-W9 1.75 Door Courtesy
------------------------------------------------------------
1 | 74-xHP Wedge Base LED Bulb | $ 2.49 |
White 74-WHP Glovebox*
2 | T13-x6 Wedge Base LED bulb | $ 2.99 |
White T13-W6 1.00 License Plate
1 | 4410-x9 LED Festoon bulb | $ 4.74 |
Natural White 4410-NW9 2.25 Front Roof Dome
1 | 3022-x9 LED Festoon bulb | $ 4.95 |
White 3022-W9 2.00 Rear Roof Dome
1 | 3910-x6 LED Festoon bulb | $ 3.70 |
Natural White 3910-NW6 1.75 Trunk*

* Denotes that the bulb wasn't a perfect fit and required some minor modification

Links:
Door Courtesy
Glovebox* You may have to slightly modify the prongs that hold in the Glovebox bulb
License Plate
Front Roof Dome
Rear Roof Dome
Trunk*You may also have to modify the prongs that hold in the Trunk bulb

My camera doesn't do it justice, they are brighter in person, and are clearly LED's and not incandescent.

Old 07-07-10, 06:51 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice writeup. I just bought my 00 ES and will be using this writeup as a reference if I decide to LED it. I already installed the license plate bulbs since I had a bunch of 194's laying around from superbrightleds since I pulled all the LED's out of my 07 Type S im selling.
Looks awesome, the only thing I did though since they were too bright was put a small 1"x1/2" strip of aluminum tape over the lens to bring it down to near OEM brightness (like on newer Lexus's).

Any chance you can post up some more pics of the interior? Trunk picture turned out perfectly!!

Thanks,
James
Old 07-07-10, 08:36 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Good job man! I'm surprised they were so cheap from Superbrightleds.com

The only reason i didn't go there, is the product [from what i read and seen] isn't as good as the eBay guy i use [which is praised all over this and countless forums] and the shipping was a price killer.

I spent around 100$ to do both a lexus es300, and rx330 completely. So i guess if you were to pursue the same route, it would work out to the same cost at the end of the day. Although the dome light isn't too bright? Or is it just the picture?
----
JTS06Z06 Use my link for full retrofit.
\/ below in my sig.
Old 07-07-10, 12:26 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Thanks for the post! Very informative to both GoodRevs and 01LEXPL. I've already replaced most of my interior lights with LED's, but I was searching for the interior map light and vanity lights. These posts have helped me a lot.

Although, I'm going a different route for the trunk light. I'm going to do a cold cathode light conversion for the trunk like the ones they use in computers, coming soon.
Old 07-07-10, 12:59 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I want to do my license plates. Not sure about everywhere else though. I dont drive around with my interior lights on, it's not that important. Looks good though
Old 07-07-10, 01:58 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If I change the License plate OEM bulbs to LEDs, would that trigger the Burned out bulb light indicator in the dash?

Thanks

Phil
Old 07-07-10, 03:17 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

I'll get additional pictures up this weekend for you James. I'll do my best but I'm never able to get pictures that accurately represent things at night, I should really borrow my friends DSLR camera sometime.

The LED dome lights are just as bright as the incandescent were. I attribute that to having gone with a 9-LED bulb for both domes. The trunk is a 6-LED because I wasn't able to find any 9-LED bulbs that I thought would fit in there. If you look at the bulb list in my first post the number's x6, x9 etc. represent the number of LED's on each bulb (the glovebox bulb is a single LED and thus says xHP). I didn't want the interior to light up like a christmas tree, I wanted the same brightness as the incandescent but with LED white light, and in my opinion it seems what I did achieved that.

I haven't got any type of bulb out warnings Phil. I suspect you too should be ok assuming you use the same bulbs I did.
Old 07-07-10, 08:58 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PFB
If I change the License plate OEM bulbs to LEDs, would that trigger the Burned out bulb light indicator in the dash?

Thanks

Phil
Nope.

Having played around with my reverse lights as LEDs [don't do this btw, ****ty light output no matter what bulb is in there!!!] I can confirm these won't throw the warning.

I mean, i did the whole car, down to the shifter... and it's been over a year.

GL!

-Mike
Old 07-08-10, 06:15 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Nope.

Having played around with my reverse lights as LEDs [don't do this btw, ****ty light output no matter what bulb is in there!!!] I can confirm these won't throw the warning.

I mean, i did the whole car, down to the shifter... and it's been over a year.

GL!

-Mike
Thanks GoodRevs and 01LEXPL for answering my question. Now all I have to figure out is how to purchase those two license plate LEDs for a grand total of $6.00 without having to pay the suppler $25.00 shipping charges to ship them to Montreal Canada (LOL).

Phil
Old 07-08-10, 09:15 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Phil,

I can assure you the seller i used off eBay is the best, and most recognized by countless car forums.

Most importantly, shipping is cheap and quick, as you can see, i'm in Ottawa.

Also i have bought over 100$ worth of bulbs from him and yet to be disappointed.

Just refer to my thread once more for the seller. I am not a fan of superbirghtleds.com, since they are a ripoff [after shipping] and i feel as if their product isn't the 'greatest' to begin with... if not on par with the generic ebay bulbs for 0.20$...
Old 07-09-10, 06:55 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Phil,

I can assure you the seller i used off eBay is the best, and most recognized by countless car forums.

Most importantly, shipping is cheap and quick, as you can see, i'm in Ottawa.

Also i have bought over 100$ worth of bulbs from him and yet to be disappointed.

Just refer to my thread once more for the seller. I am not a fan of superbirghtleds.com, since they are a ripoff [after shipping] and i feel as if their product isn't the 'greatest' to begin with... if not on par with the generic ebay bulbs for 0.20$...
Thanks, I'll give him a call and see if he will be willing to mail me for the cost of a postage stamp in a regular envelope, those the two License Plate LED's, as that's all that I want so far. Unfortunately I can't find anyone here in Montreal that carries them.

Thanks again

Phil
Old 07-09-10, 09:58 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ I have a hard time believing that! Its a 194 bulb -> the most common bulb ever.
Old 07-09-10, 12:52 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Does anyone have any pictures of the license plate lights with LED and also the lights that come on when you open the doors? Close ups i mean
Old 07-09-10, 04:54 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I don't have any pics, but they're pretty simple to replace. For the door lights, you can get a flathead (with a towel on it) and just pry out the light. It helps to unplug it in the back. Pop off then lens and replace the bulb.

With the license plate lights, get something small and pointy (paperclip or small screwdriver works) and push into the middle of the tab on the side of the housing. Then use a flathead and pop off the light; pull the bulb off the back, then replace.
Old 07-09-10, 05:01 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the interior, license plate and door courtesy lights. Anything else?

Quick Reply: LED Conversion - Straightforward with Links