ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wanting to get a in-dash navigation (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 03:09 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wanting to get a in-dash navigation (Help)

I want to get a navigation for my car and was wondering if anyone know if it's hard for someone that isn't good with wiring. I don't want to buy it and screw up my car. Any recommendation anything less than $900?

Last edited by Benbendx; 08-26-10 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 07:50 PM
jeknight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in a Pioneer AVIC stereo /navigation systems, but a lot of other 2 DIN or even single DIN will fit in ( I recommend the 2 din- looks nicer); you will need a wiring harness which will let you use the old amp/ speakers and a Scotche DIN faceplate kit; it requires you to connect the wiring harness to the wiring that comes with the stereo (matching colors) and to power in the car, but it is not difficult. I would suggest going to Crutchfield because they will tell you everything you need and provide telephone support. Four side notes; 1) you need to connect the green wire the emergency brake ground (to be "safe" and not be able to enter destinations while driving,etc.) or just to any ground if you will be sensible and not do this anyway. 2) you optionally need to connect illumination wire (orange/white) to the wire that goes to the clock light if you want to signal the system that your lights are on (dims to "nite" display), 3) if you live far from strong radio stations, you may need some kind of antenna amplifier/diversity unit, since your new stereo will only have one input for an antenna and your car has two now (otherwise might not get weaker stations or will get fade)- to minimize this, make sure power ant lead on stereo (blue) connects to amp power (I think it is also blue) - I did have to move a wire on the harness, 4) I could not find a way to use existing CD changer so I use a usb iPod connection provided; I threaded that into the center console box ( easy) and now I connect my iPhone/ iPod etc and the AVIC controls it (I don't need CDs at all). See other forum threads on removing existing radio (not difficult) and these other details; if this scares you, then just pay a little more to have someone install it; should not be that much since you would use all your existing amp /speakers.
Old 10-09-10, 04:43 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

What size does the frame go up to?
Old 10-09-10, 08:49 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By frame are you refering to din size? If so like jeknight suggested you can fit either a single din or double din radio. I bought my kit from Best Buy and they offer a kit from their source www.bestkits.com which can fit a double or a single din kit with a pocket. There is a post in regards to what harness to pick if you get confused.

Last edited by xsh0tya; 10-09-10 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 11:06 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

I was thinking about getting this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n+Package.html what you think?
Old 10-09-10, 02:17 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

^^^ why get that when all their new nav units come with nav built in? I got the new avic-x920bt for $699 after rebate.

James
Old 10-09-10, 04:28 PM
Benbendx
Pole Position

But all them too expensive. What other things do I need to buy.

Last edited by Benbendx; 10-09-10 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-09-10, 04:39 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

watched for some used ones on here.
Old 10-09-10, 10:35 PM
Benbendx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
watched for some used ones on here.
ill try to keep an eye out
Old 10-10-10, 10:27 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

yea if u can black friday might hold some great deals for you... I know places like best buy and such usually have a 30 day price gaurantee so if u bought it the week before, you can make sure you get the item by buying it early and getting your money back either that day or the first day they do returns... just a suggestion if you got the extra money or the time.
Old 10-10-10, 08:54 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

also my friend might have a eclipse that could be for sale. ill ask and let you know.
Old 10-12-10, 09:27 AM
argy
Driver School Candidate

amp integration harness metra.com should have one same as the double din kit...

pioneer avic series are awesome but the bad thing is thtat their boot load time is sooo slow.....

kenwood is cool bcause they have garmin integrated on there nav interfaces and

jvc has a unit out there that has everything all in one

bluetooth hd radio and navigation but its like 1k also you can detach the faceplate
Old 10-15-10, 10:57 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

I just got my gps today and I'm going to attempt to do it, but my friend said there is a way to bypass watching dvds while driving anyone know about that?
Old 10-15-10, 12:44 PM
x69x442x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Benbendx
I just got my gps today and I'm going to attempt to do it, but my friend said there is a way to bypass watching dvds while driving anyone know about that?

Originally Posted by jeknight
....side notes; 1) you need to connect the green wire the emergency brake ground (to be "safe" and not be able to enter destinations while driving,etc.) or just to any ground if you will be sensible and not do this anyway.....
I'm guessing the etcetera includes watching dvds.
Old 10-15-10, 12:52 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

i have a eclipse AVN5510 im trying to get rid of. great unit

Quick Reply: Wanting to get a in-dash navigation (Help)