ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Catalytic converters and general exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 09:03 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catalytic converters and general exhaust questions

Hello everyone,

Thanks for being so welcoming in my introductory post!:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...r-excited.html

So I've found a really clean engine that I've transported to my mechanic. He's begun disassembly of my vehicle and now we're getting a really good look at all of the adjacent parts that would be nice to replace so that my ES300 runs ultra tip top for the next 100K and beyond.

First thing up is the cats. There are 3 of them in case anyone doesnt know:

1. Primary - Radiator side. This one along with 2. are like a exhaust manifold/cat combo.
2. Primary - Firewall side.
3. Secondary - between downpipe and muffler (near middle of the car lenghwise).

Cat 3 must be replaced. In fact that have to cut the pipes to even remove it because after unbolting it they can't seem to get the thing off. They could just weld it back on after but if I wanted to replace it in the future it would be a huge pain in the ***.

Cat 1 and 2 came off no problem but I think they are quite beat up. Mind you my check engine light was on when my car broke down (see my post above) so this is a possible culprit (O2 Sensors, please correct me if I'm wrong).

So I've looked up both aftermarket cats and OEM. The latter is obv WAY pricer but my mechanic says they are definitely the best way to go, money aside.

What is everyone's option on this? I found some well-rated aftermarket stuff online that I think will do the job (Look at the reviews). Does anybody have experience with this?

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...FYWe4AodFTwAhw
Old 06-21-13, 12:07 PM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

To clarify there are 3 oxygen sensors (2 upstream and 1 downstream). As far as I know there is only one catalytic converter.
Old 06-21-13, 12:20 PM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

HomerJay,

Hey man. Well there's one stand-alone cat that is under the car, mid-way through the length of the car. That's probably the one you're talking about. The other two are a part of the exhaust manifold assembly, right off the engine: one on the radiator side and one on the firewall side.

Check out the pics of three pieces:
http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0&AID=10375065

As far as the oxygen sensors, you're probably right. I know there is at least 2. One for each exhaust manifold assembly.
Old 06-21-13, 12:46 PM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting, I did not realize those were cats. The price confirms it as well, thanks for the info.
Old 06-21-13, 08:27 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I only had some experience replacing the third main cat. It was a Walker unit and the part was built pretty well, but the fitment wasn't perfect. The firewall flange did not line up with the stock manifold, so the mechanic had to get creative and add some more washers and some sealant to try and stop any leaks.

OE parts are REALLY expensive, but they will fit much better and without any issues. It's up to you.
Old 06-21-13, 08:37 PM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I only had some experience replacing the third main cat. It was a Walker unit and the part was built pretty well, but the fitment wasn't perfect. The firewall flange did not line up with the stock manifold, so the mechanic had to get creative and add some more washers and some sealant to try and stop any leaks.

OE parts are REALLY expensive, but they will fit much better and without any issues. It's up to you.
Yeah, I hear ya man. OEM is like double the price =\

I saw your post on the Walker unit and that seems like it worked out for you. The reason I'm going with this Eastern set is because I'm gonna get all three parts... at least they'll line up to each other (hopefully). After reading all the reviews it seems like the fit is good and the only issue might be gaskets. I heard that OEM gaskets might be the way to go.

I'll keep everyone posted as to how this turns out.
Old 06-21-13, 09:23 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Druvius
Yeah, I hear ya man. OEM is like double the price =\

I saw your post on the Walker unit and that seems like it worked out for you. The reason I'm going with this Eastern set is because I'm gonna get all three parts... at least they'll line up to each other (hopefully). After reading all the reviews it seems like the fit is good and the only issue might be gaskets. I heard that OEM gaskets might be the way to go.

I'll keep everyone posted as to how this turns out.
Sounds good. I hope it works out better for you.
Old 07-01-13, 11:03 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Okay so I have the two new exhaust manifold assemblies in and the down pipe and cat. They didn't fit in as well as the product reviews said they would and the mechanics had to apply quite a bit of pressure. Now mind you, these were bolted on after a full engine swap so one must account for that. For instance, the new engine might not sit as precisely on the mounts as the old one. I hope this doesnt become an issue. After I get it up and running I'll report back.

One other thing is that the build quality is noticeable more crude than the OEMs. I will post some photos when I get a chance. This could lead to a sluggishness, loss of power, or shuttering. Once again I'll report back with photos. Stay "tuned"! =P
Old 07-01-13, 12:17 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

First thing up is the cats. There are 3 of them in case anyone doesnt know:

1. Primary - Radiator side. This one along with 2. are like a exhaust manifold/cat combo.
2. Primary - Firewall side.
3. Secondary - between downpipe and muffler (near middle of the car lenghwise).
I'm learning something new everyday. Thanks
Old 07-08-13, 09:02 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Okay so I have the two new exhaust manifold assemblies in and the down pipe and cat. They didn't fit in as well as the product reviews said they would and the mechanics had to apply quite a bit of pressure. Now mind you, these were bolted on after a full engine swap so one must account for that. For instance, the new engine might not sit as precisely on the mounts as the old one. I hope this doesnt become an issue. After I get it up and running I'll report back.

One other thing is that the build quality is noticeable more crude than the OEMs. I will post some photos when I get a chance. This could lead to a sluggishness, loss of power, or shuttering. Once again I'll report back with photos. Stay "tuned"! =P
So I drove the car to CT and back (from NY/NJ) and things were smooth to begin with. Heading up there everything was all good until I reached about 60mph. Then there was a noise from the drivers side of the engine bay. Sounded like a bit of a rattlling and vibration sound that was definitely audible above the radio but not deafening.

When I take my foot off the accelerator at 60 then sound continues (therefore I dont think it's an engine issue) until it my speed drops below 55 and the sound diminishes and disappears. Its kind of a medium-pitched vibration sound... I at first thought it was some aerodynamic issue, maybe even something with the intake, something vibrating only when reaching those speeds.

On the trip back, the sound was there again at the 60mph+ speeds but not quite as pronounced. Midway through my trip home I started to get stronger vibration and louder noise (even at the slower speed range) that I now believe to be the exhaust system. When I come to a stop, the noise and vibration disappear completely. I think the exhaust manifolds that were installed, in particular the radiator side, isnt fully sealed and after some hours of driving. Note, no noticeable loss of power at any of the speeds mentioned above.

As I mentioned previously, the fit and build quality I found really lacking on these exhaust units. Might be because of the engine swap that they don't completely align, but being a 1-to-1 swap i would think the difference would be minimal.

Lastly, I still have a check engine light that's on even though I replaced the O2 sensor. Still trying to figure that out, might be electrical.

Anyone have a similar issue or want to comment on O2 sensors?
Old 07-15-13, 01:52 PM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

So I drove the car to CT and back (from NY/NJ) and things were smooth to begin with. Heading up there everything was all good until I reached about 60mph. Then there was a noise from the drivers side of the engine bay. Sounded like a bit of a rattlling and vibration sound that was definitely audible above the radio but not deafening.

When I take my foot off the accelerator at 60 then sound continues (therefore I dont think it's an engine issue) until it my speed drops below 55 and the sound diminishes and disappears. Its kind of a medium-pitched vibration sound... I at first thought it was some aerodynamic issue, maybe even something with the intake, something vibrating only when reaching those speeds.

On the trip back, the sound was there again at the 60mph+ speeds but not quite as pronounced. Midway through my trip home I started to get stronger vibration and louder noise (even at the slower speed range) that I now believe to be the exhaust system. When I come to a stop, the noise and vibration disappear completely. I think the exhaust manifolds that were installed, in particular the radiator side, isnt fully sealed and after some hours of driving. Note, no noticeable loss of power at any of the speeds mentioned above.

As I mentioned previously, the fit and build quality I found really lacking on these exhaust units. Might be because of the engine swap that they don't completely align, but being a 1-to-1 swap i would think the difference would be minimal.

Lastly, I still have a check engine light that's on even though I replaced the O2 sensor. Still trying to figure that out, might be electrical.

Anyone have a similar issue or want to comment on O2 sensors?
Update: Okay my mechanic found the issue. Wheel bearing on drivers side needs to be fixed. And they are charging me $275 to replace it which I think is reasonable. I'll let you guys know what else is up. We still have to contend with the check engine light issue.
Old 07-15-13, 07:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Do you know the trouble code that you're getting?
Old 07-16-13, 08:42 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

My mechanic told me which code but I forgot, sorry. He said it was the O2 sensor that was acting up, which we then ordered and replaced. It turns out that it was the O2 sensor WIRING that was faulty and he didn't charge me to replace it because I paid for the new sensor.

Now the wheel bearing issue is solved and the check engine light is off too.. phew!

I hope everything is good to go now and I'm gonna baby this ride for a long time to come!
Old 07-29-13, 01:20 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

My CEL is back on....

Code is p0430... catalytic converter (radiator side)

As I mentioned above, both exhaust assemblies were replaced. As was the O2 on that side. Now I'm really scratching my head as to what it could be...

Also, the wheel bearings were repaired and the loud vibration sound is gone, BUT at high speeds (above 60) I still get a scratchy/scrapey noise from the driver side front of the car. It's more noticeable when i go over a dip or bump. Is it suspension related?
Old 07-29-13, 01:27 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

here is a pic of my ride!
Attached Thumbnails Catalytic converters and general exhaust questions-photo.jpg  

Quick Reply: Catalytic converters and general exhaust questions