ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

DIY for cabin air filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 08:25 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY for cabin air filter removal

Anybody has the instructions to remove it, i've searched the forum without any success.

thank you, i have an HEPA filter to try to fit in the OEM one.
Old 03-05-10, 05:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
Anybody has the instructions to remove it, i've searched the forum without any success.

thank you, i have an HEPA filter to try to fit in the OEM one.
I believe there are instructions with pictures in the owners manual.
Old 03-05-10, 05:48 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Open the glove box and stick your hand in there and remove the cover. Pull the filter out and replace it with the new filter. Make sure the flow arrow goes the same way as the old one. put the cover on and you're done.
Old 03-05-10, 07:57 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacement is the easiest I've ever seen in any car, and it is in the manual.
Don't just "try" to fit any filter. Buy one specifically designated for the car off Ebay.
Old 03-05-10, 09:18 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

In my Honda Odyssey you have to remove the glovebox which means you have to empty it out. Lots of fun. And those things do get nasty.
Old 03-05-10, 02:08 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

wow, that easy, wonder why on google most people say it is pita to remove it, like yaking it with brut force ??! ! thanks to all, i will try to replace it. I got a big sheet of HEPA filter that i was hoping to cut to size to fit.
Old 03-05-10, 09:53 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Use a flashlight and take a look at the filter cover before removing it.
Manual just says "pull it out". But in my recollection, there is a plastic tab that you have to push to easily remove the cover.
You can pull and yank it out (I did the first time), but there is a chance that the plastic latch would break off.
No brute force, it is really a piece of cake procedue.
Not sure if HEPA sheet filter would do it.
What is in there is just a pleated filter like the one in the heater furnace.
Cost me about three bucks on Ebay.
BTW, replacing the engine air filter is very easy too.
Old 03-06-10, 06:17 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, I can't BELIEVE I actually paid my dealership to replace this thing at my 15K service. I did it myself at 30K rather than paying them $100 to do it. Took me maybe 5 minutes.

But it clearly does its job. It was trashed!
Old 03-06-10, 07:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin
OMG, I can't BELIEVE I actually paid my dealership to replace this thing at my 15K service. I did it myself at 30K rather than paying them $100 to do it. Took me maybe 5 minutes.

But it clearly does its job. It was trashed!
I did the same thing only in reverse. On my previous '07 ES I changed the filter myself @ 15K, and when I took it in for the 30K service I forgot about it, and the dealer changed it. I think it was around $60.
Old 03-06-10, 04:21 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOYOTA-CAMRY-V6-C...item1c0f19bad2

Will this fit a ES350 2008 since i think it is a good deal. I've heard that the camry V6 has the same filters than the ES350. For the engine filter, i'm not sure that i should go for better since the engine is way more precious.
Old 03-06-10, 05:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueshark
http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOYOTA-CAMRY-V6-C...item1c0f19bad2

Will this fit a ES350 2008 since i think it is a good deal. I've heard that the camry V6 has the same filters than the ES350. For the engine filter, i'm not sure that i should go for better since the engine is way more precious.
I used the filter for a Camry V6 in my '07 and it fit fine. Got it a a Toyota dealership for about the same price as shown on the link.
Old 03-06-10, 05:45 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

thanks for the info, for future reference, which year of camry V6 or Avalon can i compare to the ES350 08 ? And, i've order a cabin filter from ebay, apparently 8 sold to ES customers with 100% of satisfaction, so we'll see. Came out for 11.00us
Old 03-14-10, 09:38 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes.. was a piece of cake.. but some comments. in my 07 Es350. there is a black FLAP.. u need to push it upward. then it comes out... then u see the white filter cover and it clearly has 2 hooks which can be flexed and then it pops out... now the filter which I removed was DIRTY.. mine is 32K.. maybe not changed for 15 K miles... and one thing I noticed, it had 2 plastic intertwined lines to support the zig zag hepa paper.. the cheap one I picked up from ebay for 8$ delivered did not have those plastic tie lines to support it.. also my grooves went in perpendicular, while the original one had grooved parallel to the slot. Should not matter. .but the make/construction of the original looked far better than the cheap one I got from ebay.. 8$ to DIY..
now how about some advice to do the engine filter..

I have to take my car in for 30K servicing.. so I should explicitly mention that cabin /air filters have been changed and dont gouge me for that ?

what else from the 30K servicing can we DIY.. .he he.. need to get that lexus 600$ bill trimmed down.. he he
Old 03-14-10, 10:49 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

got the ebay cabin air filter for 12.00can, well made IMO, but again, i haven't seen the oem one yet, i will install it soon, great diy, thank you.
Old 03-19-10, 11:55 AM
Nukejr
Driver School Candidate

It should also be noted that the arrows on the OEM filter can be misleading if you intend to replace with an aftermarket filter. The OEM filter has "UP" arrows, whereas aftermarket filters show air flow arrows.

If using an aftermarket filter, the airflow arrow should be pointing DOWN.

This will make sense to you when you pull out the old filter and notice that all the debris (leaves, bugs, etc.) are on top of the filter. Therefore, the airflow travels downward, through the filter and into the blower vanes

Quick Reply: DIY for cabin air filter removal