ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I did it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 11:16 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did it!!!!

I bought the new Dice SilverLine DUO Ipod Adapter for my ES350. My Lexus is a 2008 Lexus ES350 without Nav and with the standard radio. (with sat & text buttons) I printed and followed dreyfus' Nav/audio head unit removal steps. Everything went well except I managed to overlook step 5 showing that the left triangle trim piece on the drivers side also needed to be removed. When I had everything else taken out, the head unit would not budge. I realized that there must be a bolt on the left side. Taking that out did it. Hooking up the Dice splitter cable was a snap and the whole thing went back together very easily. I set up the dice unit as an MP3 player. (Dip switches = left off, right on). I tried to use it as a Sat setup but it had problems, so I reset it to MP3. It works Perfectly, including showing the song title on teh display.

A Great Thanks go to dreyfus for the incredible pictures that made this install very easy. Scary, but easy.
Old 04-27-11, 11:57 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad everything went well. This is what this forum is all about - making ownership easier and more enjoyable.
Old 04-27-11, 12:06 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default The final chapter.

I got back into my Lexus to route the Dice cable into the glove box. I had to take out the cabin filter and found a small opening on the extreme left of the glove box. (Almost hiddened by the Cabin filter cover)I threaded a stiff wire from the glove box down to the area where the Dice cable came from the headunit (Had to take off the passenger kick panel , the triangle one, to see into this area). When I got the wire down there, I wrapped it aropund the Dice plug and GENTLY pulled it up to the glove box. You have to jiggle it a few times to get it through. During this process, when I plugged back into my Ipod, I noticed the the Dip switch settings were in fact both OFF. That is the CD Changer setting and is working OK.
Old 11-29-11, 02:25 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Dice has been in for 7 months

My dice duo (Silverline) unit has been in for 7 months and is working just fine. I have tried all 'dip' switch' settings and like the MP3 the best. That is dip 1 (Left) off (up) and dip 2 (Right) on (down). the Manual says that this setting is for late model navigation units. My ES350 is NOT a nav unit, but this setting works the best. Also tried Sat settings and the text on my radio would flicker all of the time. Very distracting. The CD changer setting also works ok.
B-T-W, I have a 2008 ES350 w/o Nav and a base radio with a sat button. (Don't have a sat radio setup)
I can recommend this Ipod integration. I like it a lot.
Old 11-29-11, 06:52 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear it's still working out for you.

So if you use it in MP3 mode, how do you select it from the factory stereo? Aux button?

I have the non-ML Nav system and the factory XM tuner - the website says I can use it in MP3 mode. Just want to know if I lose any existing functionality.

The box looks to be a decent size - was it any trouble to mount/hide?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-11, 08:39 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Yes, my radio has a DISC-AUX button. If I push it once, it goes to the cd player, a second push and it goes to the Dice unit.
I do not know about the factory XM tuner. I don't use that.
I had no trouble hiding the unit itsself. It is in the glove box and All radio controls are working well, including the steering wheels controls.
Old 11-30-11, 09:49 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CompuMan
Yes, my radio has a DISC-AUX button. If I push it once, it goes to the cd player, a second push and it goes to the Dice unit.
I do not know about the factory XM tuner. I don't use that.
I had no trouble hiding the unit itsself. It is in the glove box and All radio controls are working well, including the steering wheels controls.
I, too, have the Disc/Aux button so I would imagine it would work just the same. The Sat button is shared with AM. Dice claims it doesn't affect the SAT function and frankly that wouldn't even matter much to me anyway.

I thought maybe you tucked the unit somewhere else. The glove box is kind of tiny and I wouldn't want it to take up any of that room. Ideally I would mount it behind the centerstack or behind some panels in the foot well.

Oh yeah - safe to assume this charges your iPod also?
Old 12-14-11, 12:00 PM
homerbrew
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the Dice Duo this past weekend. I have to admit it was a lot better than a Dice unit I used to have in my previous car (BMW). This one has none of the the negative issues I used to have, such as a lot of noise. I think that mostly had to do with they poor grounding involved with the BMW and their CD Changer wire. This unit installed easily (as easy as taking out the non-ML Nav and plug the unit into the back). I currently have it in my glove box, along with the iPod and my Sirius tuner in an SCVDOC1 doc. Since I have the Sirius tuner installed, I have the unit in the SAT mode. Everything is working great so far.

The only thing that I can complain about, is that the method to choose an input (SAT/iPOD/AUX) for the Dice could be a little better. I don't know yet what would be a better solution yet, but it leaves a little to be desired. You need to select the source within 5 seconds of selecting the DICE unit. So, if I were listening to Sirius, and wanted to listen to my iPod, I would have to change the input to AM/FM/CD/AUX and then select the DICE again (AM/SAT button), then select the source. It would be nice, to not have to select a different source then the DICE again to change the DICE input.

Other than that, the sound quality is great, and I have my Sirius PNP directly connected to the Nav screen. Dice was the only company that supported the iPod and Sirius with the SCVDOC1, which is why I went with this option. The other companies all only officially supported the SCC1 tuner. Since I have a lifetime sub on my Starmate and already owned the SCVDOC1, paying more to switch it to an SCC1 wasn't really an option. Plus I was able to get Fry's Electronics here to price match Amazon for the Dice unit, got it for $120 including tax, not too shabby.

I found a post where someone routed their Sirius antenna to underneath the third brake light. I did that too, and you can't even tell there it is there. I haven't had any more drop outs than I used to with the antenna mounted on my trunk, and I saved myself $50-60 on not having to buy the sharkfin adapter that I was tempted to do.
Old 12-14-11, 01:44 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From DICEs website:

The DUO also keeps the iPod and iPhone charged and ready to go.
Old 12-24-12, 05:40 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default An update on my Silverline DUE ipos adapter

Got into my car this last weekend and the Dice Electronics DUO unit was not working. I pulled the adapter in the glove box and tried all of the switch settings. Just would not detect the unit. So I brought the adapter into my home, attached it to my computer, went to www.diceelectronics.com and downloaded the latest firmware upgrade. Upgraded the firmware. Put it back into my car and all is OK now. It is working great, again.