Rough Idle and WARNING LIGHTS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 07:46 AM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle and WARNING LIGHTS!

Folks,

All of a sudden, my 43k mi 2007 ES350 had three lights came on: Check Engine, Check VSC, Skid Warning. I have since checked the oil and filled the car with gas (thereby opening and re-closing the gas cap.)

This happened Friday (just before I filled it up and checked the oil) and I didn't drive it this weekend. This morning the lights are still on and after 35 minutes of mixed-speed driving it is now also idling slow and rough. Plus, now the engine light is starting to blink, then goes back to solid, then blinks for a while....

Any suggestions before I take it into the dealer for an out of warranty diagnosis and repair?

Many thanks.

Andrew
Old 06-06-11, 05:36 PM
dman00001
Rookie

I had something similar recently and it was one of the coils went bad. You should be able to get the computer codes pulled to tell which one. I hear it's a fairly easy fix although I ended paying for mine as I wasn't sure what it was at that time.
Old 06-06-11, 05:57 PM
tnguyen600
Driver School Candidate

Same thing just happened to my parents car. I've read that it really varies so a scan needs to be done to determine what it is exactly.

I'm going to bring it to auto zone tomorrow for a complimentary scan. I'm out of warranty as well so the dealership is the last place I want to bring it too.
Old 06-09-11, 07:05 AM
mortirius
Driver School Candidate

it def sounds like the coils the front 3 are easy to replace but the back ones require u to remove the intake manifold which is kinda tough to remove i would recommend changing the rear 3 if your going to remove that manifold check this post for more info

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...cylinders.html
Old 06-13-11, 07:54 PM
WNCcruiser
Driver School Candidate

My 09 did the very same thingn (VSC, skid warning, rough idle, etc.) It did this for about 3 days as I did not have time to take it to the shop. Then one day, these lights went off and the rough idling stopped!! Just like that! It has been running fine for about a month now since this happened. I don't understand what happened, but hope it continues.
Old 06-14-11, 06:34 AM
GoingHaam
Driver

Originally Posted by dman00001
I had something similar recently and it was one of the coils went bad....
x2 happened to me too
Old 06-20-11, 06:31 AM
mortirius
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the typical ignition coil problem. Depends on how handy you are but my advise to you would be to first goto the local auto parts store and ask them to read the error codes, auto zone or advance auto does this for free Lexus charges you 80$. Once you have the codes I would check this forum (i posted a link to the cylinder numbers) to see which cylinders need to have the ignition coils replaced. If its any of the front 3 you can do that yourself all you need is a ratchet and its only one screw with a difficulty rating of about 1 out of 10 and can take less then 5 min ( but lexus will charge 1 hour of labor and the part @156$/hr). On the other hand if its one of the three cylinders in the back then I would goto a mechanic (unless you pretty handy) and replace all 3 ignition coils since they all gonna start going 1 by 1 and every time you need to replace one it takes about 2 hours of labor I rate the difficulty of the rear ignition coil replacement at 6 out of 10, since you need to remove the intake manifold. You might also want to consider changing the spark plugs since you got that intake manifold out but thats totally up to and not necessary until about 100k. But keep in mind they gona charge you for labor on removing the manifold again. Also I would keep the 2 coils from the back that are still ok and save them for when the front 3 go and you can replace them yourself. I know at my Lexus dealer the ignition coils go for about $90 each and if you replace 1 with labor its about $350. If you remove the manifold theres also some gaskets you will need to replace which go for about 20$ you can also check online and buy afterm market coils for about 40$-60$ BUT idk the reliability of them. Well good luck and keep me posted.

All of a sudden, my 43k mi 2007 ES350 had three lights came on: Check Engine, Check VSC, Skid Warning. I have since checked the oil and filled the car with gas (thereby opening and re-closing the gas cap.)

This happened Friday (just before I filled it up and checked the oil) and I didn't drive it this weekend. This morning the lights are still on and after 35 minutes of mixed-speed driving it is now also idling slow and rough. Plus, now the engine light is starting to blink, then goes back to solid, then blinks for a while....

Any suggestions before I take it into the dealer for an out of warranty diagnosis and repair?

Many thanks.

Andrew[/QUOTE]
Old 06-20-11, 08:38 AM
WNCcruiser
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty question

I purchased 6 yrs./100/000 mile extended warranty. Would this type of problem not qualify for warranty work?

Thanks