ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

OMG I bought a car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 09:45 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OMG I bought a car!

I've been driving a '92 SC300 5-speed for the last 8 years, and needed to replace it as the old girl was getting a bit long in the tooth (needs some body work that far exceeds the value of the car and I'm not into project cars).

I just came home from Stevens Creek Toyota with a 2007 ES350. Ultra Lux package with panoramic roof, Mark Levinson audio, rear window shade and all that awesome stuff. Clean history, great condition, $24,996 out the door.

I need to buy some floor mats...
Old 06-26-12, 10:02 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats! Those UL ES's are awesome!
Old 06-26-12, 10:17 PM
chbow
Driver

Congratulations! I have the same and love it, just curious how many miles are on that? Enjoy

Last edited by chbow; 06-26-12 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 10:29 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

The mileage is pretty high -- 93,000 -- but the car's service history suggests that the previous owner drove it back and forth between California and Delaware on a regular basis. I guess the guy had 2 homes or something. But I'm not concerned. It's probably why the price is so good, but with a Lexus, that sort of thing really isn't an issue. Heck my SC300 has 220,000 miles on it now.
Old 06-27-12, 01:37 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the purchase!

93K miles isn't *that* much... I also have an '07 UL and it's got about 120K miles on it right now =) -it's still running just as good as day one.

I'm driving my '12 RX more nowadays so the ES is gaining miles slower
Old 06-27-12, 01:46 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did it also come with a senior card?

j/k congrats on the purchase...quite a jump in class if I might add
Old 06-27-12, 07:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Congrats on the car. Are you getting an extended warranty on it?
Old 06-27-12, 09:58 AM
bdar
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Congrats on the car. Are you getting an extended warranty on it?
LexBob2: This is the thing that I always wonder whether it's worth the money. I bought it when I purchased my 2010 ES UL. The car feels well built, that's why I wonder if extended warranty is ever needed.
Old 06-27-12, 10:02 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

^^^ I think it depends on the car. My friend's Audi S4 had some years on it when he got it, and he ended up saving himself the trouble of a $10,000 repair job on the car.

Originally Posted by Kaydee
did it also come with a senior card?

j/k congrats on the purchase...quite a jump in class if I might add
I know, right? I kept thinking "Crimony this is something my dad would have bought" (he was a Towncar owner).

But as much as I love driving my SC, having a stick shift is just a huge pain where I live. I finally got tired of it and decided to go back to an automatic after many years of manuals. I work for a car rental company so I've spent a few years now driving new automatics and it ain't so bad.

The combination of features that I decided I wanted in a car are features that are generally only found on luxury and near-luxury sedans. Plus I've admired the design change in the ES after '07. The handling is much tighter and the suspension gives more road feel than the previous generation (which I had occasion to drive).

My best friend (who owns an Audi S4 Avant and a track-modified Miata) has expressed his disappointment in my choice of an automatic. I'm sure he'll be even more disappointed that I bought an ES350. Of course, I find German cars to be uncomfortable (not just his, but the ones I've driven at work, too), so I think he's insane.

As for an aftermarket warranty, do you think that's necessary? My household is not strapped for cash. We can afford major expenses if they happen to come up, but I considered it pretty unlikely for this car. I may yet have the windshield replaced. It's got a lot of highway pitted miles on it.
Old 06-27-12, 12:35 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The windshield will cost about $1,200 as it has the automatic wiper sensor (when it rains, they come on and adjust speed of wipers to amount f water hitting windshield. Had 2 replaced on my 2007 Ultra via Allstate insurance from road rock crack. Had $50 deductible for it.
Old 06-28-12, 11:03 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by garsarno
The windshield will cost about $1,200 as it has the automatic wiper sensor (when it rains, they come on and adjust speed of wipers to amount f water hitting windshield. Had 2 replaced on my 2007 Ultra via Allstate insurance from road rock crack. Had $50 deductible for it.
Hmm at that price point I think I will just do a resin repair on the one rock chip and try to appreciate the fact that it isn't as pitted as my other car that has 220,000 miles on it.
Old 06-29-12, 09:15 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Originally Posted by Vulturedoo
Hmm at that price point I think I will just do a resin repair on the one rock chip and try to appreciate the fact that it isn't as pitted as my other car that has 220,000 miles on it.
The OEM ones are high priced. They now make aftermarket ones that works with rain sensors. I changed mine with aftermarket and rain sensing wipers works fine.
Old 06-29-12, 09:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusfan05
The OEM ones are high priced. They now make aftermarket ones that works with rain sensors. I changed mine with aftermarket and rain sensing wipers works fine.
I'm curious.
Did the installer tell you if that aftermarket an acoustic and UV protection windshield like oem?
An aftermarket is like 1/3 the cost.
Old 06-29-12, 10:41 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm curious.
Did the installer tell you if that aftermarket an acoustic and UV protection windshield like oem?
An aftermarket is like 1/3 the cost.
Actually the dealership advisor told me to look at aftermarket. My dealer body shop didn't take insurance and had to be a cash payment for windshield, the advisor said that they have hard time justifying the cost to insurance companies.

I don't feel a big difference in road noise, maybe a little bit but my tires are getting older too. Also my transition glasses don't turn dark, so I assume it's UV proof. But my car is older 05 ES330, so I didn't care too much and saved the hassle of going back and forth with the insurance.

It looks exactly the same, even the gradient tinting at the top is the same.
Old 06-29-12, 11:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusfan05
Actually the dealership advisor told me to look at aftermarket. My dealer body shop didn't take insurance and had to be a cash payment for windshield, the advisor said that they have hard time justifying the cost to insurance companies.

I don't feel a big difference in road noise, maybe a little bit but my tires are getting older too. Also my transition glasses don't turn dark, so I assume it's UV proof. But my car is older 05 ES330, so I didn't care too much and saved the hassle of going back and forth with the insurance.

It looks exactly the same, even the gradient tinting at the top is the same.
Good to know,thanks.
If I should take a windshield hit,I have $0 deductible but I don't think my insurance company would go for a oem windshield but I'd fight to get one.
A couple of months ago the wife's CR-V was hit and fortunately the chip could be filled.

Quick Reply: OMG I bought a car!