EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 07:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
2013 LS 460 factory 19 inch wheels on a road trip

Cruise control set 81-82mph road-trip

I get around average 110 MPGe, and I have AWD, 425 HP to the wheels (also factory 19" wheels), can hang with a lot of high performance cars. Plus I never have to visit another gas station unless we drive our Sienna. I prefer where I'm sitting, but thanks for sharing.

I love the LS 460 BTW, one of my top favorite cars. If I ever went back to ice, it would be one I wouldn't mind owning

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-31-23 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-31-23, 09:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've been trying to get the wife to take the Y, but she is highly resistant to new stuff, and to change. She drove it over the weekend, but she is nervous about the screen and says she needs more time. This has always been the case with her. When she totalled our 2004 Sienna and I replaced it with a 2013 Sienna, she wouldn't drive it, and I had to almost force her, which took about a month. The button layout was different, it had different controls for the HVAC, it has an "information screen", all that made her nervous. So when I told her this morning that I'll take the Ioniq and leave her the Y, she said not yet, and I said OK and took it to work. Again.

I have a confession to make: as I'm sitting behind the wheel this morning heading to work, I'm thinking, OK, I'll just push her into taking the Polestar instead and I'll keep driving the Y . She's not fully comfortable with the Polestar either (she's been driving the 2020 Ioniq, my son has been driving the Polestar), but it's more familiar to her, the infotainment screen has less stuff in it. There are only two things with the Polestar that make her uncomfortable, the first is it's 476 HP (she's afraid of the instant power/torque) and the second is that there is no key or push button to start it. You just sit in it, put it in gear and drive, then get out and lock the doors. Not sure why that makes her nervous, but I'm thinking she's not the only wife that doesn't like change
Old 05-31-23, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

why do you want her to drive the Y? why does it matter what she drives from your fleet?

since you like the Y, makes sense for you to drive it. if she likes the ioniq, fine, let her drive that?
Old 05-31-23, 09:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why do you want her to drive the Y? why does it matter what she drives from your fleet?

since you like the Y, makes sense for you to drive it. if she likes the ioniq, fine, let her drive that?
It doesn't really matter, although she does need the cargo space more than I do as she does the grocery shopping. The only time I need the extra cargo space is when I do the occasional Lowes or Home Depot runs, or when I travel to SoCal. Also, the Ioniq is going away in few months when the lease ends....
Old 05-31-23, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

how much groceries does she get in a run?

i used to be able to get weekly groceries in my miata.
Old 05-31-23, 11:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

also, imagine the trunk on the P* is pretty decent too?
Old 05-31-23, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

how much groceries does she get in a run?

i used to be able to get weekly groceries in my miata.
You'll be surprised how much two young adults eat. She shops bi-weekly. She buys a lot of bulk stuff from Costco and stores them in the garage. We also have a fridge/freezer in the garage. Without getting into any details, my grocery bill is pretty big
Old 05-31-23, 11:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

also, imagine the trunk on the P* is pretty decent too?
The Polestar trunk is pretty small

If you put the rear seats down, you have more room, but it's still pretty small
Old 05-31-23, 12:10 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I've been trying to get the wife to take the Y, but she is highly resistant to new stuff, and to change. She drove it over the weekend, but she is nervous about the screen and says she needs more time. This has always been the case with her. When she totalled our 2004 Sienna and I replaced it with a 2013 Sienna, she wouldn't drive it, and I had to almost force her, which took about a month. The button layout was different, it had different controls for the HVAC, it has an "information screen", all that made her nervous. So when I told her this morning that I'll take the Ioniq and leave her the Y, she said not yet, and I said OK and took it to work. Again.

I have a confession to make: as I'm sitting behind the wheel this morning heading to work, I'm thinking, OK, I'll just push her into taking the Polestar instead and I'll keep driving the Y . She's not fully comfortable with the Polestar either (she's been driving the 2020 Ioniq, my son has been driving the Polestar), but it's more familiar to her, the infotainment screen has less stuff in it. There are only two things with the Polestar that make her uncomfortable, the first is it's 476 HP (she's afraid of the instant power/torque) and the second is that there is no key or push button to start it. You just sit in it, put it in gear and drive, then get out and lock the doors. Not sure why that makes her nervous, but I'm thinking she's not the only wife that doesn't like change
My coworker was in the same situation as your wife, but now she love it, she is getting used to the tablet, and after driver profile set up, she doesn't do anything with it anymore, lol, and she so happy for not going to gas station, charge it up daily. With the base model 3, she is never get it lower to 25%, she said.
Old 05-31-23, 12:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Longevite1
My coworker was in the same situation as your wife, but now she love it, she is getting used to the tablet, and after driver profile set up, she doesn't do anything with it anymore, lol, and she so happy for not going to gas station, charge it up daily. With the base model 3, she is never get it lower to 25%, she said.
I really don't mind if she doesn't take the Y...I absolutely love it! The thing is I want to remove her "block" so that she can drive it on demand without hesitation. There is going to be situations where we have switch cars. I had this problem with her with my IS350...she never wanted to drive it because of how it was low to the ground and had a lot of kick
Old 05-31-23, 02:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

if fsd actually worked, she could take the y and have it drive her.
Old 05-31-23, 02:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

if fsd actually worked, she could take the y and have it drive her.
Even if I paid for it (which I didn't) and it did work 100 percent, she wouldn't use it. She doesn't even use the smart cruise control (it keeps the car centered in the lane) in the Ioniq, which actually works very well
Old 05-31-23, 03:49 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

absolutely, and i agree totally that the tesla model y is an excellent all rounder, which is why it's the highest selling vehicle on earth! i posted years ago after driving the model 3 that i was amazed how normal and appliance like it was. like the maytag car. the model y is just an even more practical version. as much as i dislike many tesla details, i could easily see me replacing my sanfe fe with a model y. just not sure i want to not have physical controls, heads up display, ventilated seats (does the y have those?), and many other features. everything's a compromise though.
At first, the tablet interface can be a pain. Unless oyu are young like my grand nieces who take to it like nothing... But once you get the jist of it, traditional dashboards become old skool. Not bad, just old skool. Afrer driving the Model 3, I find the GS350 pretty confusing. I never touch the Tesla screen; everything is voice commands or steering wheel controls.
HUD and outside mirror warnings are better. But the tablet has similiar functionality. Still not as good.
Old 05-31-23, 08:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Got her first wash today. Nice and clean

Old 05-31-23, 08:52 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

Beautiful car. You bought well...

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black