EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 09:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Beautiful car. You bought well...
Thanks. I'm learning new things about it every day. Like how big the accessory market is for Tesla's. It's mind boggling
Old 06-01-23, 03:41 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Thanks. I'm learning new things about it every day. Like how big the accessory market is for Tesla's. It's mind boggling
For the 3 and the Y I bet the market is much better than the S due to volume. The one thing a lot of S owners, including me, really want are aftermarket tailights like the more recent versions of the S. It seems so simple that someone could make a nice aftermarket set but no one has and the new lights can’t be retrofitted. The old tailights look so outdated and it’s the one thing that bother me most but not enough to trade my car in for a new one.
Old 06-01-23, 03:44 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

One more thing I thought you would appreciate. One Model S owner went to pick up his car recently and I kid you not, they put the wrong trim/door panel on one of the front doors. The door had carbon fiber trim and the rest of the car had wood. I don’t even know how that would not be noticed because the trim wraps around from the door to the dash. Maybe they didn’t have any more wood trim and said scare it, I’ll just grab something else and put it on.
Old 06-01-23, 04:04 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Got her first wash today. Nice and clean

Very nice. I disliked the Y when it first came out, but it has grown on me. Well designed car that obviously checks the boxes for a lot of folks.
Old 06-01-23, 04:11 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Beautiful ❤️.
My coworker right next to me just placed an order for MY yesterday.
Old 06-01-23, 04:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

looking good! black is definitely the best color (hides the black wheel cladding ).

question: how is the road/wind noise in the Y compared with your other cars?
Old 06-01-23, 04:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
One more thing I thought you would appreciate. One Model S owner went to pick up his car recently and I kid you not, they put the wrong trim/door panel on one of the front doors. The door had carbon fiber trim and the rest of the car had wood. I don’t even know how that would not be noticed because the trim wraps around from the door to the dash. Maybe they didn’t have any more wood trim and said scare it, I’ll just grab something else and put it on.
if production incentives are around quantity and not quality, that's what you get...

could also be that trims are put on the doors before the doors are put on cars, and maybe the doors are put on by robots that can't see the trim.
Old 06-01-23, 07:06 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Looking good. Enjoy your five minutes of shine. I'm glad they let you wash your car at home.
Old 06-01-23, 08:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

LOL that's funny, although probably not to the owner. They just don't seem to pay as much attention to Model S and X.

Here's one I heard from a friend of mine where his co-worker bought a Y. He went to the Fremont factory to pick up his Y, inspected it, everything was fine. Accepted delivery, and as he was driving off, the rear bumper cover fell off . He said this happened around January. LOL at least it came off before he got home! Thank God I got a Monday Y and not a Friday Y. I literally got a Monday car because it was delivered on Tuesday
Old 06-01-23, 08:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
Very nice. I disliked the Y when it first came out, but it has grown on me. Well designed car that obviously checks the boxes for a lot of folks.
I used to dislike them as well when they first came out, but they made some minor tweaks to them over the last couple of years. It will hopefully serve my family well as our hauler and commuter
Old 06-01-23, 08:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looking good! black is definitely the best color (hides the black wheel cladding ).

question: how is the road/wind noise in the Y compared with your other cars?
Because there is no engine/transmission sounds, you do notice some wind noise, but it's not bad, but you do get some echo due to all the thick glass. Due to the tires being over inflated (42 psi), you do get some road noise, but that is also not bad as it has good insulation and the battery also cuts some of the road noise out.

My IS350 did let in less road noise, but that is also due to the thicker insulation around the wheel wells and underbody, and tires inflated to 34 psi. Compared to other cars, there is definitely a bit more wind and road noise, but the lack of engine sounds makes it pretty quiet overall. Now if I had opted for the 20" tires, road noise (and feel) would be pretty bad
Old 06-01-23, 08:45 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

LOL that's funny, although probably not to the owner. They just don't seem to pay as much attention to Model S and X.

Here's one I heard from a friend of mine where his co-worker bought a Y. He went to the Fremont factory to pick up his Y, inspected it, everything was fine. Accepted delivery, and as he was driving off, the rear bumper cover fell off . He said this happened around January. LOL at least it came off before he got home! Thank God I got a Monday Y and not a Friday Y. I literally got a Monday car because it was delivered on Tuesday
I literally LOL'd when I read this even though I shouldn't be because it's so ridiculous . The guy that had the two different door trims rejected delivery for that and a couple other issues which is why most S owners say to not make payment until the car is inspected.

The Tesla business model seems to be opposite of other car manufacturers where they take better care/more pride in the cars that are more expensive vs. the lower priced volume models. Maybe that's why they are more successful LOL.
Old 06-01-23, 08:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Looking good. Enjoy your five minutes of shine. I'm glad they let you wash your car at home.
I actually took it to a car wash! At home I just use the waterless car wash (Chemical Brothers) between washes
Old 06-01-23, 08:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I literally LOL'd when I read this even though I shouldn't be because it's so ridiculous . The guy that had the two different door trims rejected delivery for that and a couple other issues which is why most S owners say to not make payment until the car is inspected.

The Tesla business model seems to be opposite of other car manufacturers where they take better care/more pride in the cars that are more expensive vs. the lower priced volume models. Maybe that's why they are more successful LOL.
It is ridiculous, but if you live near a Tesla service center like I do, they fix issues really quickly. In a lot of cases they send a tech to your work or home. As far as payment is concerned, at least in my case, full payment had to be made before delivery. The finance company sent payment to Tesla, then I had to pay the remaining balance (down payment) before moving to the final delivery steps. When the car was delivered to my house, my son inspected it with me on a What'sApp conference call, when everything looked fine, I accepted the delivery in the app and the car unlocked so he could move it into the backyard
Old 06-01-23, 09:26 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

AMIRZA leave that beautiful car alone! Just drive that bad boy! Just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black