EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 02:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
My first post in this thread, so a belated congrats! This vehicle is in consideration for us, so I was hoping you could give me some insight.

How long did it take to get comfortable with using the tablet for controlling almost all basic functions of the vehicle? I've gone to our local Tesla (dealer?) a few times recently and feel like I'm on my own. They just walk me to a vehicle, make sure its charged and running and say come back in 30 minutes. No training, except how to open the doors properly. After the initial visit, I learned on my own how to do some basic things, like adjust the temp and turn off Chill mode. I'm hoping it gets less distracting over time if we purchase one.
Hey, thanks! I actually got comfortable with the tablet playing around with my brother in laws Model 3 when he got it last November. Coming from buttons, ***** and switches myself (several Toyota Camrys, two Toyota Sienna's and an IS350...which actually used a screen for a lot of stuff like HVAC), I thought the adjustment would be hard, but got used to it pretty quickly, in about 20 minutes or so. When you first order the Tesla, a series of "how to" videos can be played from the app. Pretty much everything you need to know. And it does get less distracting because once your Tesla is delivered, you create a profile, all your settings are stored in the profile, which auto detects you from your phone. Someone messed with your seats and mirrors? They auto adjust back to your settings when you open the car.

I can truly say from a driver's perspective, it's the best car I've ever owned. Although it's cabin layout is simple, everything is well thought out. From the storage spaces, to the sun visors. Like why doesn't everyone use strong magnets instead of clips? If I could ask Tesla for any additional features, there would only be two requests: a sunshade for the glass roof (you can actually buy one from Tesla for $150) and Air Suspension. The Y Long Range rides pretty comfortably, but because of the recommended tire pressure being between 40 and 45 psi, Air suspension would make the ride way better
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (06-20-23)
Old 06-20-23, 03:01 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Hey, thanks! I actually got comfortable with the tablet playing around with my brother in laws Model 3 when he got it last November. Coming from buttons, ***** and switches myself (several Toyota Camrys, two Toyota Sienna's and an IS350...which actually used a screen for a lot of stuff like HVAC), I thought the adjustment would be hard, but got used to it pretty quickly, in about 20 minutes or so. When you first order the Tesla, a series of "how to" videos can be played from the app. Pretty much everything you need to know. And it does get less distracting because once your Tesla is delivered, you create a profile, all your settings are stored in the profile, which auto detects you from your phone. Someone messed with your seats and mirrors? They auto adjust back to your settings when you open the car.

I can truly say from a driver's perspective, it's the best car I've ever owned. Although it's cabin layout is simple, everything is well thought out. From the storage spaces, to the sun visors. Like why doesn't everyone use strong magnets instead of clips? If I could ask Tesla for any additional features, there would only be two requests: a sunshade for the glass roof (you can actually buy one from Tesla for $150) and Air Suspension. The Y Long Range rides pretty comfortably, but because of the recommended tire pressure being between 40 and 45 psi, Air suspension would make the ride way better
You don't have to keep it at 45. I keep mine at 41 psi
AMIRZA786 (06-20-23)
Old 06-20-23, 03:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
You don't have to keep it at 45. I keep mine at 41 psi
I keep them inflated to 42 psi. I was just listing the recommended ranges. I'm sure you already know this as a former GS owner, but for context my IS350 which ran 18" (squared) was 34 psi front and 36 psi rear tires. So road impacts were much softer
Old 06-20-23, 07:28 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

I swear I have a love/hate relationship with my Plaid. My autopilot and autosteer doesn’t work even after the two button reset and it’s been like that for two days. I did a search on the Tesla forums and found no solution other than make a service appointment. So I do that and it doesn’t give me the option to have someone come to my house to look at it. So frustrating when all I ever hear from other people is about is how service comes to your house but I can’t get someone to come to my house. I’ve had someone come out twice since I’ve owned the car to replace the door panel when new. Other than that I have spent more time at the service center than any of my previous cars.

Amirza - can you see if your friend that works for Tesla has any suggestions before I waste half a day at the service center to hopefully fix the issue?
Old 06-20-23, 08:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I swear I have a love/hate relationship with my Plaid. My autopilot and autosteer doesn’t work even after the two button reset and it’s been like that for two days. I did a search on the Tesla forums and found no solution other than make a service appointment. So I do that and it doesn’t give me the option to have someone come to my house to look at it. So frustrating when all I ever hear from other people is about is how service comes to your house but I can’t get someone to come to my house. I’ve had someone come out twice since I’ve owned the car to replace the door panel when new. Other than that I have spent more time at the service center than any of my previous cars.

Amirza - can you see if your friend that works for Tesla has any suggestions before I waste half a day at the service center to hopefully fix the issue?
​​​Hey @patgilm , unfortunately my son's friend no longer works for Tesla...got himself fired for driving a customers Tesla too fast bringing it into the service area. Probably not the first time he did that . Anyway, I'm sure he still has contacts at Tesla or may know what the issue is. I'll ping him tonight. BTW, There was just a software update, could that be the cause? I just updated my Y last night. If this started right after this update, maybe that's the cause. It sounds like it could be software related unless maybe one or more of your cameras are not working properly.

Just to make you feel better (or not), Tesla is not sending out techs anymore, even here. I have a minor rattle in the backseat area...let me just emphasise minor. My kids think I'm being overly picky taking it in, but I want the car perfect. I also had to make an appointment and bring it to the closest service center, which is actually very close to me on June 28.

You seem to have had a lot of issues with your Plaid. Maybe consider selling and replacing it with a Model 3P? I know more people than I can count that have Model 3's and Y's with no issues. Just a thought
Old 06-20-23, 08:09 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

After you've booked the appointment, go to the appointment and you can send a message in the chat section and ask for a mobile tech. I've done that on several occasions when the system doesn't choose a mobile tech to begin with.

So long as the issue doesn't actually require a visit to the service center, they will change it to a mobile visit (sometimes it has taken longer than the appointment you get at the SC).
The following 2 users liked this post by Hameed:
AMIRZA786 (06-20-23), LeX2K (06-20-23)
Old 06-20-23, 08:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
After you've booked the appointment, go to the appointment and you can send a message in the chat section and ask for a mobile tech. I've done that on several occasions when the system doesn't choose a mobile tech to begin with.

So long as the issue doesn't actually require a visit to the service center, they will change it to a mobile visit (sometimes it has taken longer than the appointment you get at the SC).
So that's the trick
Old 06-20-23, 08:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

LOL no I am definitely not selling it unless I got a newer Plaid with the updated tailights which is my only cosmetic complaint. Don’t care about HW4 and I like my parking sensors.

I did get a software update a day or two ago so I hope that is the case and it’s fixed soon. Also I didn’t realize they weren’t sending out mobile techs anymore, I thought maybe it was just because I was out of range or something.
AMIRZA786 (06-20-23)
Old 06-20-23, 08:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Thanks Hameed, just sent a message through the app and hope it works!
AMIRZA786 (06-20-23)
Old 06-20-23, 08:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

LOL no I am definitely not selling it unless I got a newer Plaid with the updated tailights which is my only cosmetic complaint. Don’t care about HW4 and I like my parking sensors.

I did get a software update a day or two ago so I hope that is the case and it’s fixed soon. Also I didn’t realize they weren’t sending out mobile techs anymore, I thought maybe it was just because I was out of range or something.
Can't live without that 1000 HP huh? 😂 See @Hameed comment. Apparently he knows all the tricks 😉

It sounds like software, as there was just an update. Software issues are easily fixed
Old 06-20-23, 08:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Can't live without that 1000 HP huh? 😂 See @Hameed comment. Apparently he knows all the tricks 😉

It sounds like software, as there was just an update. Software issues are easily fixed
Definitely can’t live without it now. I make sure I’m fully charged every morning so I start the day with full power.
Old 06-20-23, 08:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Definitely can’t live without it now. I make sure I’m fully charged every morning so I start the day with full power.
I don't think I'll ever test drive a Plaid because than I know I will want one. I know what you mean. When I have to drive a regular car, it feels so sluggish I keep feeling like something is wrong with it....
Old 06-20-23, 09:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

beginning to sound like one of my company's IT calls...

customer: (yeah i already rebooted it )
... doesn’t work even after the two button reset ...
us: (ok then make sure you have the latest software )
There was just a software update, could that be the cause?
Old 06-20-23, 09:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
beginning to sound like one of my company's IT calls...

customer: (yeah i already rebooted it )

us: (ok then make sure you have the latest software )
EV's are basically computers on wheels....so yes, the occasional help desk call 😁

The good news is, Tesla software mess ups are not common. Now Polestar is a different story...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-20-23 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-20-23, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

good thing ev's aren't running microsoft windows.
AMIRZA786 (06-20-23)

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black