EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-23, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Yes long time friend of mine.
just wondering, why did your friend want to sell the model y with so few km/mi. on it?
Old 07-30-23, 07:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just wondering, why did your friend want to sell the model y with so few km/mi. on it?
PM me if you want to know the story is personal.
Old 08-01-23, 09:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Amirza - How do you all feel about the blind spot camera in Teslas? Me personally, I still don’t feel comfortable using those alone and the camera quality isn’t great. At night it is even worse with car headlights.

Have you gotten used to them? I have tried to use them but then find myself looking over my shoulder really quick.
Old 08-01-23, 09:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Amirza - How do you all feel about the blind spot camera in Teslas? Me personally, I still don’t feel comfortable using those alone and the camera quality isn’t great. At night it is even worse with car headlights.

Have you gotten used to them? I have tried to use them but then find myself looking over my shoulder really quick.
I do find the blind spot camera's useful, but I still use my mirrors and look over my shoulder, so I don't fully rely on them. I think in HW4 the image is vastly improved, but like you, I have HW3 so the image is can be a bit low quality in certain conditions
Old 08-01-23, 09:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

I'll share my opinion,

It took a bit of getting used to at first. The vehicle we traded for the MY would alert you audibly if you signaled and someone was in the lane. I wish all cars had that. With the Y, the camera took some getting used to, but I first look at the screen to see if it shows anyone in the area. I had to reposition the camera display over to the right to get it off the same side as the vehicle overlay. That said, I still look over my shoulder if I'm not 100% sure.
Old 08-01-23, 09:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'll share my opinion,

It took a bit of getting used to at first. The vehicle we traded for the MY would alert you audibly if you signaled and someone was in the lane. I wish all cars had that. With the Y, the camera took some getting used to, but I first look at the screen to see if it shows anyone in the area. I had to reposition the camera display over to the right to get it off the same side as the vehicle overlay. That said, I still look over my shoulder if I'm not 100% sure.
The other cool thing is it will build a virtual map of cars around you, and it will flash them red if you turn on your signal and they are next to you, or if they begin to wonder in their lane

One time I was parking in my backyard, and my dog walked next to my daughter, and it displayed a person walking a dog LoL
The following 3 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (08-01-23), bowser (08-01-23), Mike728 (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 01:16 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

I use the pop up camera image when changing lanes; I've gotten used to it. But our Lexi BSM warnings are are far better. Tesla needs to add this to the side mirrors and a HUD. That's my opinion.
I would imagine an aftermarket retrofit of some kind would be well received.
Old 08-01-23, 02:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'll share my opinion,

Thanks, I welcome others opinions on this as I was just curious if I was the only one that didn't rely on just the cameras alone. I also thought about the virtual maps of cars around me but for the same reason I am not fully trusting of these things for whatever reason. As a result, instead of looking at the camera or virtual map, I just do a quick shoulder check since it seems easier to do one task instead of two to change lanes.
Old 08-01-23, 02:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I welcome others opinions on this as I was just curious if I was the only one that didn't rely on just the cameras alone. I also thought about the virtual maps of cars around me but for the same reason I am not fully trusting of these things for whatever reason. As a result, instead of looking at the camera or virtual map, I just do a quick shoulder check since it seems easier to do one task instead of two to change lanes.
It has on occasion mistaken my recycle bin as a truck. Perfectly understandable

It also saw my daughter trying to sneak up from behind trying to snoop on me (see the back area)

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-01-23 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 05:42 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LOL, I have a ladder in my garage that sometimes shows as a truck.
AMIRZA786 (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 05:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i personally don't want my car 'guessing' what's around me as my only input.

i do love the hyundai/kia/genesis feature of in gauge camera display when you turn on a turn signal...

even doug demuro has said over and over it's a fantastic feature he wishes all cars had.

bowser (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 06:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i personally don't want my car 'guessing' what's around me as my only input.

i do love the hyundai/kia/genesis feature of in gauge camera display when you turn on a turn signal...

even doug demuro has said over and over it's a fantastic feature he wishes all cars had.

It's not the only "input". You have five altogether 1) Blind spot camera 2) side view mirror 3) virtual mapping 4) alert sound and 5) glancing sideways

Even if it renders the object wrong (like mistaking a pickup for a big truck), you still know there is an object there and you need to avoid it. And if any of the cameras are dirty or blocked, you get a warning to clean the lense
Old 08-01-23, 08:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

It also saw my daughter trying to sneak up from behind trying to snoop on me (see the back area)
That’s pretty cool you can park a semi like that in your driveway without your neighbors complaining.
Old 08-01-23, 09:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That’s pretty cool you can park a semi like that in your driveway without your neighbors complaining.
It's actually in my backyard next to the detached garage. How it thinks an object that small is a semi is beyond me 🤣. Although it was night time...
Old 08-02-23, 04:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It's not the only "input". You have five altogether 1) Blind spot camera 2) side view mirror 3) virtual mapping 4) alert sound and 5) glancing sideways
1, 3, 4 are all based off the same cameras.
2 and 5 are you

i don't trust camera based detection for such things which i still believe tesla only went that way for cost reduction. "virtual mapping" sounds cool except when it's wrong.
signdetres (08-02-23)

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black