EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 01:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

What vehicle out there is for everyone?
Old 08-19-23, 03:04 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I've said this to you many times, no one should be forced into buying anything they don't want to. And I totally agree, EV's are not for everyone. But the "green crowd" you refer to is a small vocal group that has nothing to do with why people buy EV's. I'm not going to get into politics here, but I'm not part of that crowd you mentioned, and neither is my co worker. I didn't transition into buying EV's because of politics, to save the earth, or to cut down on emissions...the last point just happens to be a side effect. It was purely for performance and driving dynamics, and I admit, no more visits to the gas station

I've always respected your views and always will, but you really shouldn't get into the heads and motivations of why people like me decided on buying EV's. It's like saying people who buy trucks have low IQ's and buy them to purposely pollute, I've just made a huge generalization, which is not fair to truck drivers as group
None of what I posted had anything to do with you personally or even anything to do with the motivations of why anybody decided on buying EVs. Sorry if you felt that was the case. I was just responding to Lex2K's comment "Emotions over facts for some." with the reason some push back so hard. And they aren't completely wrong. Somewhat wrong, but not completely.
Old 08-19-23, 03:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
None of what I posted had anything to do with you personally or even anything to do with the motivations of why anybody decided on buying EVs. Sorry if you felt that was the case. I was just responding to Lex2K's comment "Emotions over facts for some." with the reason some push back so hard. And they aren't completely wrong. Somewhat wrong, but not completely.
My friend's dislike of EVs is not based on logic, he thinks they require massive mining of materials I couldn't get him to consider what life cycle emissions means. Hence my comment.
Old 08-19-23, 03:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Got it. Even if it was, you would have to call me something like an SOB for me to take it personally . I know everyone has their view, and I do my best to respect them all.

I've gotten to know Lex very well, and he's a solid guy and speaks from the heart. I many times find his straightforward truthful advice to me to be very refreshing. We all have different ways of expressing ourselves, him and I don't always agree on everything, but we have a lot of mutually respectful conversations. I'll just leave it there

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-19-23 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-19-23, 03:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I think some people have a genuine fear that gas cars will go away and they'll have nothing to drive. Because they 100% will not drive an electric vehicle it's almost a phobia. Remember I live in Texas north we all about our big trucks and oil and gas.

Old 08-20-23, 05:39 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
My friend's dislike of EVs is not based on logic, he thinks they require massive mining of materials I couldn't get him to consider what life cycle emissions means. Hence my comment.
Those are two separate issues. I don't think it is entirely illogical for someone to be against strip mining but not that concerned about CO2.
Old 08-20-23, 06:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I think some people have a genuine fear that gas cars will go away and they'll have nothing to drive.
i've never met anyone who thinks gas cars are going away any time soon. now of course states like california have said no new ice cars from 2035 (i think) but a) that's a long time away, and b) that doesn't stop used car sales of tens of millions of ice vehicles for decades unless they're banned too.

what a lot of people do resent though is aggressive govt market coercion forcing more and more people to get an ev. hasn't really happened yet, but if a country like norway is any indication, it will be coming to more and more places. in norway, it simply doesn't make any sense not to buy an electric car (even with all the issues in that frigid climate) because of vast government subsidization.

but it is what is it, and individuals can't do anything about govt.

Because they 100% will not drive an electric vehicle it's almost a phobia.
i talk to a lot of people too and they either know absolutely nothing about electric vehicles (and thus aren't interested or even curious) or they aren't interested in charging at home or finding charging stations on the road. and yes, before someone chimes in again, we all know that in certain areas and situations, that's no an issue at all but it's not good everywhere yet.

although you consider me an anti-ev troll, lol, i am definitely looking at ev's to possibly replace my suv soon.
Old 08-20-23, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

amirza, just watched a 'y' review video and it said there's no homelink (garage/gate opener) in a y, really? said u have to have tesla come to you to install one for extra. pretty ridiculous.

he also says 'video' parking sensors don't work well.

Old 08-20-23, 07:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I think Homelink requires a retrofit, but MyQ is native to the Tesla and when the car gets close to your garage it'll automatically open. I'm not sure what "video" parking sensors are..? The Tesla shows you an animation of your car as you park (and as you drive) and it'll show you in inches how far you are away from something (car, curb, etc). I use it daily for parking in my garage so I don't hit a storage cabinet and it's wildly accurate.
Old 08-20-23, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm not sure what "video" parking sensors are..?
recently tesla did away with the ultrasonic parking sensors used by every other manufacturer relying instead on the car's video cameras.
in that youtube video they show the difference from their older model 3 to their new model y.
Old 08-20-23, 09:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Vision only park is rough around the edges but WAAAAAAAY better and continually improving. Remember when Tesla said they were going vision only for FSD and everyone lost their minds?
Old 08-20-23, 10:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
amirza, just watched a 'y' review video and it said there's no homelink (garage/gate opener) in a y, really? said u have to have tesla come to you to install one for extra. pretty ridiculous.

he also says 'video' parking sensors don't work well.

https://youtu.be/qhcfRUdO50E
Yep...no home link LoL. I think it's $399 to add it. As far as no parking sensors, I wish Tesla never removed them, but that said, optical parking sensors work well about 99 percent of the time. They are always improving them, so that's good.

On the other hand, our Ioniq 5 is full of sensors, and they can be totally annoying. My wife wants me to turn them off because they are always going off while she is driving 😭

Before I bought I already knew these issues, which are not issues to me. Tesla's strengths IMO outweigh these small omissions

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-20-23 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-20-23, 11:46 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

My Plaid had homelink, weird that the others don’t since it’s built in to the interface. As far as vision for parking being way better, how is that the case? Some people on the forums that have both say otherwise and that USS is more accurate and more consistent based on their personal testing. They do say that it is continuously improving but to say it’s better, I’m not so sure about that.
Old 08-20-23, 12:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
My Plaid had homelink, weird that the others don’t since it’s built in to the interface. As far as vision for parking being way better, how is that the case? Some people on the forums that have both say otherwise and that USS is more accurate and more consistent based on their personal testing. They do say that it is continuously improving but to say it’s better, I’m not so sure about that.
They should have never removed the parking sensors IMO. I drove a loaner 2018 Model 3 with the parking sensors, and it was way better, more accurate than "vision only". But that's what Elon decided on, and I just live it because vision works enough for my needs...most the time

As far as HomeLink not being available as a standard feature on the Model 3 and Y, that's also a head scratcher for me. But I love my Tesla enough that it doesn't really bother me. If I really needed it, I would just shell out the $350 (the cost of the hardware) and move on. The way I see it is like this: when I bought my IS350, it had numb steering and numb suspension. It was basically like a RWD Camry with squared tires, a sportier look and a more powerful engine and transmission. So I fixed it by changing out the bushings and sway bars (RCF bushings, F-Sport sway bars), swapping out the steering ecu and steering balancer for an ISF EPS ecu, and F-Sport suspension. Ended up with a way better handling car than I started with. I don't need to do any of this stuff with the Y, but if I feel it's missing something crucial, I'll fix it. So far, nothing I really need to fix or change
Old 08-20-23, 01:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Vision only park is rough around the edges but WAAAAAAAY better and continually improving.
"WAAAAAAAA better" than what? ultrasonic sensors? if that's what you mean, how so, and how can that be and 'rough around the edges'?

Remember when Tesla said they were going vision only for FSD and everyone lost their minds?
i believe the car still has front radar though?

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yep...no home link LoL. I think it's $399 to add it. As far as no parking sensors, I wish Tesla never removed them, but that said, optical parking sensors work well about 99 percent of the time. They are always improving them, so that's good.
thanks for clarity and honesty. so you don't need or want homelink?

On the other hand, our Ioniq 5 is full of sensors, and they can be totally annoying. My wife wants me to turn them off because they are always going off while she is driving 😭
ha, sounds can be turned off of course. on my santa fe, i don't find any of the noises i still get to be annoying. they're usually important.
like cross traffic alert... a great feature when backing out of parking spots and you can't see cars coming either direction behind you.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-20-23 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black