EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 09:18 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm not blaming you at all. In fact, I'm fine personally with the way the current optical sensors work, but that said, they are a HUGE step down, not up. Now I'm talking parking sensor here only. There was absolutely no reason to remove them, and many Tesla owners are not happy about that. When an older product works better than the newer one....that's not progress.
There is a reason they were removed, to force vision only to be developed without baggage. Same thing happened with FSD, it got worse before it got better. It sucks in the short term and pisses off a bunch of people. I am fully aware of this and accept it if I didn't I would not own a Tesla.
One reason I don't own even one Apple product except stock. Steve Jobs said MY way or the Highway, I basically told him in my head to kiss me where the sun don't shine and took the Highway and never looked back. Android Baby! He also said he died with lots of regrets and wasn't a happy man at the end. So much for all that money he made
I have never bought any Apple products especially the iPhone I can't deal with the walled garden. BUT, the original iPhone was pure genius what we have now is still iterations of it. Brazen disregard for norms is what built Apple into an industry giant.

As for money it can't buy time, or your health which is the most important thing you own.
Old 08-21-23, 09:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There is a reason they were removed, to force vision only to be developed without baggage. Same thing happened with FSD, it got worse before it got better. It sucks in the short term and pisses off a bunch of people. I am fully aware of this and accept it if I didn't I would not own a Tesla.

I have never bought any Apple products especially the iPhone I can't deal with the walled garden. BUT, the original iPhone was pure genius what we have now is still iterations of it. Brazen disregard for norms is what built Apple into an industry giant.

As for money it can't buy time, or your health which is the most important thing you own.
I know why they are doing it, but they have also made it so you can't fully rely on it. The other day I curbed my Y and scrapped the sidewall because the estimate was off...the information on the screen showed I had 12" but in actuality I had 0". The Polestar and or the Ioniq would never have made that mistake and err on the conservative side. Anyway, for me not a big deal.

No doubt Apple is a very innovative company and the iPhone disrupted the whole industry, but they did it in a way where they turned off a lot of people, like me. One thing Steve Jobs was good at was creating "sheep", which was probably the most essential aspect of getting people to adopt their products. Sorry, I won't be anyone's sheep, no matter how disruptive the product is
Old 08-21-23, 09:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

One thing Steve Jobs was good at was creating "sheep", which was probably the most essential aspect of getting people to adopt their products. Sorry, I won't be anyone's sheep, no matter how disruptive the product is
Am I the only one that finds the vibe inside an Apple store extremely disturbing? But let's not pretend Android is total freedom Google knows everything you do on your device.

Anyway, vision only park assist will ultimately be a piece of the entire vision only whole that does everything. Right now I wouldn't trust it.

Old 08-21-23, 09:46 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Elon is a pretty good sheep herder himself, don't you think?
I prefer iPhone and Polestar. You prefer android and Tesla. It's all good!
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

In fact, I'm fine personally with the way the current optical sensors work, but that said, they are a HUGE step down, not up. Now I'm talking parking sensor here only. There was absolutely no reason to remove them, and many Tesla owners are not happy about that. When an older product works better than the newer one....that's not progress.
there was a reason... to save a few bucks in production.

Android Baby!
i'll just leave this here...
https://www.phonearena.com/news/andr...teens_id149896

I have never bought any Apple products especially the iPhone I can't deal with the walled garden.
the irony here is overwhelming.

i wasn't a big apple fan until the iPad, which is an amazing device (there's a reason no competitor has even come close to being a competitive threat. i've used a mac off and on also (in addition to many windows computers) but not as my main computer. recently i switched to a macbook pro for my main computer over windows... i love it. my 'transition' (lol) will be complete next month most likely if i get an iPhone 15 Pro or whatever. bring on the walled garden and blue text imessages, rofl. yes apple should support rcs but i can see why they don't.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-21-23 at 09:55 AM.
AMIRZA786 (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 09:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDlexus
Elon is a pretty good sheep herder himself, don't you think?
I prefer iPhone and Polestar. You prefer android and Tesla. It's all good!
It's all good . iPhone's a great product, I just don't like being locked into an ecosystem that forces you into buying more into it to make things work.

Speaking about Polestar, have you noticed a dramatic decrease in range? The estimated range at 90 percent has dropped from 240 to 220. I'm hoping this is is just from the latest software update making some corrections and not battery degradation. Probably doesn't matter anyway, as I'm leasing the Polestar
Old 08-21-23, 09:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Do you think a computing device is the same as a car with the same consequences if software screws up?
Old 08-21-23, 09:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

there was a reason... to save a few bucks in production.

i'll just leave this here...
https://www.phonearena.com/news/andr...teens_id149896

i wasn't a big apple fan until the iPad, which is an amazing device (there's a reason no competitor has even come close to being a competitive threat. i've used a mac off and on also (in addition to many windows computers) but not as my main computer. recently i switched to a macbook pro for my main computer over windows... i love it. my 'transition' (lol) will be complete next month most likely if i get an iPhone 15 Pro or whatever. bring on the walled garden and blue text imessages, rofl. yes apple should support rcs but i can see why they don't.
I feel sorry for all those dumb teens
Old 08-21-23, 10:05 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

It's all good . iPhone's a great product, I just don't like being locked into an ecosystem that forces you into buying more into it to make things work.

Speaking about Polestar, have you noticed a dramatic decrease in range? The estimated range at 90 percent has dropped from 240 to 220. I'm hoping this is is just from the latest software update making some corrections and not battery degradation. Probably doesn't matter anyway, as I'm leasing the Polestar
I don't believe I have, but I will take a closer look. I have 9 mos left on my lease. I may extend lease (if I can), buy or look at the EX30.
AMIRZA786 (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 10:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Anyway now that we've gotten parking sensors (or lack of them ) out of our blood, I want to mention that the Y has handled the heatwaves we've been having like a champ. Yesterday was not only hot as hell, but it was unusually humid due to a tropical storm off of Southern California. Days like yesterday you really appreciate the cabin pre-cooling feature. The glass roof wasn't an issue at all (except possibly when the car was sitting parked), the AC kept the cabin nice and cool. As far as how it drives in the heat...perfectly fine. Teslas do a great job at keeping the battery pack and motors cool so they work efficiently regardless of ambient temp
Old 08-21-23, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Do you think a computing device is the same as a car with the same consequences if software screws up?
ah, moving goalposts. tesla is obviously a walled garden. even more restrictive than apple.
and a tesla IS a computing device. just happens to have motors and wheels.
as for your question, well if a phone isn't secure then a person might lose all their life savings or be blackmailed, or other things, but apart from that...
teslas are cloud connected to their data centers, completely controlled in configuration/use, highly tracked with telemetry, does OTA updates, has authentication, has a phone app... gee, just like apple.

to be clear, i have NO objection to what you refer to as a walled garden. some things are too important to not be. people "side loading" apps on android phones, and "jailbreaking" iphones (and now teslas) deserve it if they get hacked or worse.
Old 08-21-23, 11:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

ah, moving goalposts. tesla is obviously a walled garden. even more restrictive than apple.
and a tesla IS a computing device. just happens to have motors and wheels.
as for your question, well if a phone isn't secure then a person might lose all their life savings or be blackmailed, or other things, but apart from that...
teslas are cloud connected to their data centers, completely controlled in configuration/use, highly tracked with telemetry, does OTA updates, has authentication, has a phone app... gee, just like apple.

to be clear, i have NO objection to what you refer to as a walled garden. some things are too important to not be. people "side loading" apps on android phones, and "jailbreaking" iphones (and now teslas) deserve it if they get hacked or worse.
Also just to make my position clear, I have no issues with Tesla being a "walled garden". And I'm glad it's software is very Apple like....in fact you would think it's running OS X seeing how everything is laid out in the infotainment screen. Also, all the Tesla service people carry Macs, and their show rooms only use Mac's. Anyway the removal of parking sensors is pretty much my only gripe...not a big gripe though as vision does work about 99 percent of the time
Old 08-21-23, 05:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

New Aero covers have arrived:

​​​​Let me know how they look!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-22-23 at 08:41 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (08-21-23), JeffKeryk (08-21-23), LeX2K (08-21-23), Mike728 (08-21-23), signdetres (08-22-23)
Old 08-21-23, 05:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

They look much better.
AMIRZA786 (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 07:05 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Much better! They look very similar to our stock 20's.

AMIRZA786 (08-21-23)

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black