EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 02:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Damaged tire was changed today

Shout out to my super cool mechanic, who refused to charge me for the labor. So anyone here who lives in the San Jose area and you need an honest mechanic....AM Automotive on Old Bayshore Hwy!
Old 08-29-23, 06:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Damaged tire was changed today

Shout out to my super cool mechanic, who refused to charge me for the labor. So anyone here who lives in the San Jose area and you need an honest mechanic....AM Automotive on Old Bayshore Hwy!
very nice! hope you tipped him anyway. i keep a few gift cards also for things like this.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

looks like the new tire came from this guy before the spray paint.

LeX2K (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 07:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like the new tire came from this guy before the spray paint.

Lol 🤣. Luckily I ordered mine directly from Tire rack 😀
Old 08-29-23, 07:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Painting tires? That's a first never seen that before not funny but it is at the same time.
Old 08-29-23, 08:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Painting tires? That's a first never seen that before not funny but it is at the same time.
When I was overseas, they would continue to repair tires, they never get disregarded until they either can't be repaired anymore or shred. And even then, the rubber is reused either as slippers, bottom of shoes, or even roofing.

Come to think of it, there's a mechanic shop near my house, every morning I see as I'm passing it a guy in a truck is unloading old tires and stocking them at the side of the shop. I never thought about it, but they are probably repairing them and reselling them. The truck has "Garcia's Tires" painted on the side

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-29-23 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-29-23, 08:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

There are a bunch of companies that retread tires
https://www.tirerecappers.com/produc...ry/semi-tires/

I'm all for recycling and reusing but not for tires even if the failure rate is 0.1% that's too high.
Old 08-30-23, 11:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

At nearly 5,000 miles and 4 months of ownership, I've now spent enough time behind the wheel of the Model Y to give it a more thorough summary. I've talked a lot about what I love about it, so let me mention a few deficiencies I wish Tesla would address:

No blind spot warning lights on the side mirrors
No lighting on the hidden door handles
Small noticeable interior rattles, mostly from seatbelts

Features and options I wish Tesla would offer for the Model Y:

Air suspension
HUD

The Model Y has been a pleasure to drive, it has instant power on demand, a very smooth drivetrain, second to none software, an infotainment screen that's not only buttery smooth and lightning fast, but also setup very intuitively with fast and easy access, and comfortable seats that are durable. It does 0 to 60 around 4.4 seconds, yet averages around 115 MPGe based on my particular driving style. Frequent software updates (more than 8 since I've owned it) keep making it better, and lastly the insanely huge and ultra reliable Tesla fast charging infrastructure makes long distance travel a no stress, no brainer non ordeal.

How does this car compare to others? As far as gasoline powered cars I've owned and driven (and driven in as a passenger) over the years, the Model Y is the best driving car I've experienced, IMO. I've driven other cars with better suspension feel, better road isolation, better seats etc, but as far as drivetrain smoothness, instant torque etc, hands down the Y. Comparing it to other EV's I've driven or driven in, the EQS, the i4, and the Model X (in that order) feel smoother, probably down to better suspension setup and road isolation materials used. The EQS and Model X I rode in both had Air suspension, so road feel over uneven roads was much better. Even our Hyundai Ioniq 5 has better suspension and road isolation than the Y does. The Model Y is definitely not the quietest car, nor does it have the cushiest suspension. And there is absolutely nothing luxurious about it, other than comfortable seats.

One thing I will say is that it's not cheaply built, Tesla doesn't cobble it together with cheap materials, and it's a premium built vehicle, and I stand by that 100 percent and will happily defend that statement. Tesla has faced quality issues for sure, but as long as they address them, It's not a deal breaker. Tesla's current focus is to get as many cars built and out to their customers to meet demand, so occasionally you have deliveries that have issues like panel gaps, paint problems, and other minor issues. Recently I've been looking at a lot of Tesla's to see if I can spot quality issues. I usually see 30 to 60 Tesla's a day in my daily commute, and so far haven't seen problems like Panel gaps or paint problems. I know they are there as I've seen a few, but I'm just not seeing this as a wide spread problem.

One last thing before I conclude, I've been seeing a lot of what I feel are BS reviews from professional reviewers from C&D, Road & Track, and others. I Googled "2023 Model Y Long Range Review" and looked at three different reviews, and it was as if they plagiarized each other. All three reviews made the same points pretty much in the same order. They even had the same Pros and Cons bullet points. I'm a very straightforward person...I'm willing to admit any shortcomings, and I've been around enough cars to know what is cheap and what is premium. The car they reviewed is 100 percent not the car I own and have been driving for 4 months. So either they are all sharing and reviewing a defective vehicle they are passing between each other, or they are just full of it and using a copy and paste template and changing a few words here and there to make the review look slightly different. Anyway, I have no respect for these people and their review is valueless to me.

I certainly hope this thread has been helpful!
The following 4 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
Allen K (08-30-23), bitkahuna (08-30-23), JeffKeryk (09-06-23), Mike728 (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 02:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It looks like charging 4 EV's, and hot weather (lots of AC useage) is eating up my solar LoL

Hopefully I can make up more between Oct-Nov then again April through June when I actually produce most of my energy. But it now looks like I may have to get more panels
Old 08-31-23, 10:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This weekend, my wheels are getting some love

The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (09-01-23), Bob04 (09-01-23)
Old 09-06-23, 06:58 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

My MYP has a recommended charge limit: 90% since I got it in May. There was software update last night and now the recommended charge limit is 80%??? OP, does yours change?
The following 2 users liked this post by grabber2:
AMIRZA786 (09-06-23), BayeauxLex (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 07:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grabber2
My MYP has a recommended charge limit: 90% since I got it in May. There was software update last night and now the recommended charge limit is 80%??? OP, does yours change?
Yes, two software updates back, it changed "recommended" to 80 percent. It doesn't really change anything for me because 1) I charge it at home every 3 or 4 days and 2) It doesn't really change things when going on a long trip. If I set it to 90 percent or 100 percent when I go to SoCal, the map planner still sends me to the same superchargers. Maybe it will route me to the next one, but because Tesla has so many of them, it may just send me 30 miles more. But I still set it to 90 percent anyways when going on trips
Old 09-06-23, 07:43 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 535 Likes on 364 Posts

Our Mid Range now recommends 80%. Used to be 90%.
Old 09-06-23, 08:19 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yes, two software updates back, it changed "recommended" to 80 percent. It doesn't really change anything for me because 1) I charge it at home every 3 or 4 days and 2) It doesn't really change things when going on a long trip. If I set it to 90 percent or 100 percent when I go to SoCal, the map planner still sends me to the same superchargers. Maybe it will route me to the next one, but because Tesla has so many of them, it may just send me 30 miles more. But I still set it to 90 percent anyways when going on trips
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Our Mid Range now recommends 80%. Used to be 90%.
OK, sounds like a global change. I thought my battery was degrading so quickly that the system sensed it and switched it to a lower charge limit to avoid further degradation. We have that issue with the iPhone.....lol

I set the charge limit: 95% on my recent Quebec road trip. That allowed me to one less stop from Quebec City back to Long Island, NY.
AMIRZA786 (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 08:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grabber2
OK, sounds like a global change. I thought my battery was degrading so quickly that the system sensed it and switched it to a lower charge limit to avoid further degradation. We have that issue with the iPhone.....lol

I set the charge limit: 95% on my recent Quebec road trip. That allowed me to one less stop from Quebec City back to Long Island, NY.
Yes, for the 2170 NCA Lithium Ion battery packs. The 4680 Lithium Phosphate recommended is 100 percent. You won't have to worry about degradation. I think it's just Tesla being conservative and or figuring out how to further prolong the life of the battery pack. 80 percent is the recommended standard for other automakers. My Polestar's is 90 percent, but our Ioniq 5 is also recommended 80 percent. I think setting at 90 percent is perfectly fine
JeffKeryk (09-07-23)

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black