EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-23 | 12:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm seriously considering getting PPF done on my Y for the front area. I was thinking about doing it myself, but I watched a couple of DIY videos, and it's pretty tedious...and messy. I found a shop near me that quoted $1800 to do the front, hood and mirrors. They use XPEL PPF and give a 10 year warranty on the materials. I don't know, should I do it? I'm on the fence right now...
Old 09-12-23 | 12:25 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm seriously considering getting PPF done on my Y for the front area. I was thinking about doing it myself, but I watched a couple of DIY videos, and it's pretty tedious...and messy. I found a shop near me that quoted $1800 to do the front, hood and mirrors. They use XPEL PPF and give a 10 year warranty on the materials. I don't know, should I do it? I'm on the fence right now...
I looked into it, but once I saw the cost I forgot all about it. No way am I paying that on a run of the mill vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23 | 12:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
I looked into it, but once I saw the cost I forgot all about it. No way am I paying that on a run of the mill vehicle.
You're probably right. I want to do it because I travel a lot to SoCal, the trip is brutal on the front...bugs, small rocks, trucks etc. But I guess I can clay bar it after my trips....$10 vs $1800

If I do it myself, the material is $300, but the labor is like more than an hour
Old 09-12-23 | 12:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

100% get it done it's way better than trying to fix rock chips and scratches several years later. I'm not up to speed on the best brand of films though.
BayeauxLex (09-13-23)
Old 09-12-23 | 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You're probably right. I want to do it because I travel a lot to SoCal, the trip is brutal on the front...bugs, small rocks, trucks etc. But I guess I can clay bar it after my trips....$10 vs $1800

If I do it myself, the material is $300, but the labor is like more than an hour
wow, good luck if you try it yourself. i'd shoot myself due to frustration.

obviously it depends how much areaparts you ppf, but on my lexus for example, i think the guy said he had to cut a dozen pieces for EACH headlight alone. so it's very labor intensive to do it right. that's why it's not cheap. i'm very glad i had it done.

since you plan to keep the y a long time and do those trips, i'd say it's a good investment to get it done. unless you don't care about cosmetic issues.
AMIRZA786 (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23 | 01:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, good luck if you try it yourself. i'd shoot myself due to frustration.

obviously it depends how much areaparts you ppf, but on my lexus for example, i think the guy said he had to cut a dozen pieces for EACH headlight alone. so it's very labor intensive to do it right. that's why it's not cheap. i'm very glad i had it done.

since you plan to keep the y a long time and do those trips, i'd say it's a good investment to get it done. unless you don't care about cosmetic issues.
The kit I would buy already has the proper cut outs, but as you mentioned, it's labor intensive. I watched a pro do it, and it took him nearly an hour (cuts in the video, so probably longer). And he must of used two bottles of spray, had to keep pulling film to readjust....I don't think I have that kind of patience.

I don't really care that much about cosmetics, but the road between NorCal and SoCal can be very brutal, especially with trucks throwing small pebbles all over the place. My last trip in my Polestar ended with a cracked windshield
Old 09-12-23 | 02:00 PM
1111GS

In my area, there is only one available in inventory, and it's $1000 more:

It’s more for the paint. So no discount.
Yeah, those are the ones people either rejected or backed out of all together. If you were allowed to check it out ahead of time, that would make it less stressful. You have to put $250 down and roll the dice!
With est delivery a month and factory has to run, I highly doubt they’re all customer rejected cars. They just don’t want inventory to build up IMO.
AMIRZA786 (09-12-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 06:36 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Yeah, those are the ones people either rejected or backed out of all together. If you were allowed to check it out ahead of time, that would make it less stressful. You have to put $250 down and roll the dice!
before my friend picked up his Y, they wouldn’t send him any pics. I told him sound like it’s a blind date. I don’t know if I would like that.

PPF is a piece of mind especially if you do a lot of traveling. We PPF every vehicle we have. If I purchase out of town, I will trailer it home before putting it on the highway without PPF.
Old 09-13-23 | 06:40 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Tesla keeps poking everyone's eyes with their price cuts. Back in January, if you wanted to even buy a Camry you had to deal with crazy ADM's. There were absolutely no deals. Now look:

You won't find any interests rates that low, even from a credit union. Right now the best you can get is 6.09 percent, so you know Toyota is eating some of that interest
the price of the Camry didn’t change to my knowledge. Everyone dealt with higher interest rate. A Camry for MSRP or lower could be had, maybe not at your local dealer but at another dealership. I paid MSRP for my RAV4 Prime but I traveled 4hrs one way to get it.
AMIRZA786 (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 09:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
the price of the Camry didn’t change to my knowledge. Everyone dealt with higher interest rate. A Camry for MSRP or lower could be had, maybe not at your local dealer but at another dealership. I paid MSRP for my RAV4 Prime but I traveled 4hrs one way to get it.
I don't know if you can get it below MSRP, but you can get it for sure for MSRP. Also that interest rate they are offering is a cash rebate under a different name....you will never get near 3.99 no matter how good your credit is, so Toyota is eating the cost by giving you that rate, which is thousands of dollars over the life of the loan. One of the reasons I paid off my Model Y quickly was the 5.49 percent interest rate loan, which was the best I could get at the time.

The only vehicle Toyota won't budge on is the Sienna, because that van is hot
BayeauxLex (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 09:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I just wanted to mention a few things that were on my mind

Last night my wife wanted take the Y to go to her brothers house. She's driven it a few times, but never at night, so she wanted me to stand there in case she had any questions. As she's sitting in the car, she opens the window and motions to me to come over. She then proceeds to ask me "why is the dash dark?" Sigh......

There are people that have this impression that Tesla putting everything in the infotainment screen complicates and makes things hard to get to. Completely not true
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WVLAMxr4f9n7nuQQ7

This morning driving to work, I saw another truck full of Rivians. This is the same area where I usually see trucks full of Tesla's, so there must be a Rivian distribution center, which is near my work. I wasn't able to get a pic, but if I locate the dist center I'll take some pics

And finally, the new Sienna is actually the best looking minivan on the market! Kudos to them!

BayeauxLex (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Last night my wife wanted take the Y to go to her brothers house. She's driven it a few times, but never at night, so she wanted me to stand there in case she had any questions. As she's sitting in the car, she opens the window and motions to me to come over. She then proceeds to ask me "why is the dash dark?" Sigh......
i don't get it. she didn't undetstand the screen would go to dark mode at night? or was she expecting ambient lighting? or was she confused there's no gauges behind the steering wheel?
Old 09-13-23 | 10:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't get it. she didn't undetstand the screen would go to dark mode at night? or was she expecting ambient lighting? or was she confused there's no gauges behind the steering wheel?
No, she didn't see the gauges in the dash behind the steering wheel. She's only driven it in the day and forgot that all the gauges like speedometer are in the screen . It was frustrating and funny all at the same time
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
BayeauxLex (09-13-23), bitkahuna (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 02:26 PM
1111GS

Originally Posted by ST430
Yup, you have the 2170 NCA battery! 👍

I had the LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) as well in my M3 SR+...it liked to be charged to 100% on a daily basis, but it's not as energy dense as the NCA, hence you it had less range and less mileage compared to the NCA SR before...
I’m confused too. You seem to have a deep knowledge about tesla products. Do you mind explaining why 2170 is better? Is it because it’s lighter? Or something else.
Old 09-13-23 | 03:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I’m confused too. You seem to have a deep knowledge about tesla products. Do you mind explaining why 2170 is better? Is it because it’s lighter? Or something else.
The NCA 2170 is the newest generation Lithium Ion battery pack used by the Model 3 Long Range and Performance, as well as the Model Y Long Range and Performance. The 4860 LFP battery pack is the latest gen battery pack that uses Lithium Ferrous, or Iron and uses less rare earth minerals and is used in the Model 3 and Model Y base models. As you know, Iron is abundantly available.

2170 is more energy dense (can store more energy) but is less durable and more expensive to manufacture. The 4860 is less energy dense, but cheaper to manufacture, more durable and lasts longer. Also, you can charge the 4680 up to 100 percent, while the NCA 2170 recommended charging is 80 percent for regular use and 90 to 100 percent for long distance travel.

Eventually the 4680 will be end up in all Model 3's and Y's, as I understand it.

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black