EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 11:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Nope. EVs just need to be at 50% if being stored for a period of time.

It’s bad for an EV to be stored and unused at high states or charge or low states of charge. 50% is recommended. Doesn’t need to be plugged in (as long as you know you won’t have vampire drain where it’s at. If so, then yes, plug it in and set the charge limit to 50)
This is what Tesla says in the manual:

Charging Best Practices

• Avoid allowing the Battery to get too low (the Battery icon turns yellow when the capacity remaining in the Battery drops to 20% or below).
  • Refer to the information on the vehicle touchscreen (navigate to Controls > Charging) or the mobile App (touch the Charging icon) for recommended daily and trip charging limits.

High Voltage Battery Information

About the High Voltage Battery

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks
Old 09-21-23, 11:27 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

If you’re storing it for several weeks, then yes obviously plug it in. If you’re storing it for several days, you don’t need to plug it in. 50% charge is enough.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-21-23)
Old 09-21-23, 11:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

If you’re storing it for several weeks, then yes obviously plug it in. If you’re storing it for several days, you don’t need to plug it in. 50% charge is enough.
I totally agree. I've left it with 40 percent for about 4 or 5 days
Old 09-21-23, 07:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

What happens if you don't drive a Tesla for 6 months? On a hybrid it will brick the car there is no way to charge the hybrid battery. The engine will not start.
Old 09-21-23, 07:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What happens if you don't drive a Tesla for 6 months? On a hybrid it will brick the car there is no way to charge the hybrid battery. The engine will not start.
It will lose about 1 percent a day from the HV battery. If the Low voltage battery dies, you would have to jump it with a portable jumper and probably reset it. If it's going to sit for 6 months, you set it to 50 percent SoC and leave it plugged in. Even a regular car, you would put it on a trickle charger
signdetres (09-22-23)
Old 09-22-23, 07:55 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you had any issue with your car? I was talking with a friend and he said his had random issues, weird noises under body and parked location not updated. He said others have reported too.
Old 09-22-23, 12:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Have you had any issue with your car? I was talking with a friend and he said his had random issues, weird noises under body and parked location not updated. He said others have reported too.
No issues so far except a front seat belt that rattled, which was fixed. Other than that, the car is actually better than it was due to multiple software updates
Old 09-22-23, 01:36 PM
signdetres
Racer

No one asked me but...

We're at 18 months and almost 25,000 miles and the only issues we had were within the first month or two of ownership. These were:
- a rocking drivers seat that would shift back and forth a little bit when accelerating from a stop
- a side camera that failed
- driver's rearview door mirror was slightly loose and would vibrate a little bit at highway speeds

We had a really great service experience. They fixed all 3 issues at once. It was all scheduled through the app, they were friendly when we got there, gave us a loaner Model S to drive around while they fixed the issues and had the car ready to be picked up way sooner than they said it would take. It was one of the best service experiences I've had at any dealer.

It's been perfect since up until a couple of weeks ago when we started developing a really awful smell from the A/C (which is apparently common on 3s and Ys). It just needed the cabin air filter swapped. I was able to schedule a mobile service appointment through the Tesla app. This time, they came to our house, did the maintenance in my garage in under 10 minutes and it only cost $50 or $60. Did I mention I'm 2 hours away from the nearest Tesla service center?

Like @AMIRZA786 said, it has gotten way better over time with updates overall. It is so much better at so many things now than when we first got it. It has gained so many features and capabilities in a short time.

That said, I don't feel that Tesla's software is perfect. There are some things that have gotten worse. There are some things that drive me a little crazy and I hope will be fixed in future updates. But overall, I would still say it's been a great experience and a great car. I'm just happy we got one with really great build quality/alignment inside and out. I can live with the little software quirks here and there but awful build quality I could not.
AMIRZA786 (09-22-23)
Old 09-22-23, 06:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

No one asked me but...

We're at 18 months and almost 25,000 miles and the only issues we had were within the first month or two of ownership. These were:
- a rocking drivers seat that would shift back and forth a little bit when accelerating from a stop
- a side camera that failed
- driver's rearview door mirror was slightly loose and would vibrate a little bit at highway speeds

We had a really great service experience. They fixed all 3 issues at once. It was all scheduled through the app, they were friendly when we got there, gave us a loaner Model S to drive around while they fixed the issues and had the car ready to be picked up way sooner than they said it would take. It was one of the best service experiences I've had at any dealer.

It's been perfect since up until a couple of weeks ago when we started developing a really awful smell from the A/C (which is apparently common on 3s and Ys). It just needed the cabin air filter swapped. I was able to schedule a mobile service appointment through the Tesla app. This time, they came to our house, did the maintenance in my garage in under 10 minutes and it only cost $50 or $60. Did I mention I'm 2 hours away from the nearest Tesla service center?

Like @AMIRZA786 said, it has gotten way better over time with updates overall. It is so much better at so many things now than when we first got it. It has gained so many features and capabilities in a short time.

That said, I don't feel that Tesla's software is perfect. There are some things that have gotten worse. There are some things that drive me a little crazy and I hope will be fixed in future updates. But overall, I would still say it's been a great experience and a great car. I'm just happy we got one with really great build quality/alignment inside and out. I can live with the little software quirks here and there but awful build quality I could not.
Thankfully I've had no issues after more than 5000 miles. Just drove it over 400 miles to SoCal and it was smooth and quiet as silk, even on some of bad roads I drove on. I'm guessing I got a "Monday" car
Old 09-22-23, 07:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Just drove my Y over 400 miles to my brothers house in SoCal (for the second time), and I'm just going to mention some things about the drive. This time I paid special attention to everything from road and wind noise, to suspension feel. My hope was to get out of the house by 8am so that we could avoid most of SoCal's epic traffic, but that was foiled by my wife who lives in her own time zone. I was a little lucky, I managed to get her out and in the car by 9am, but unfortunately that added two extra hours to our drive because to beat SoCal traffic, you must leave no later than 8:30am. We didn't, so there's that.

I want to note that I have never seen this many Tesla's on the road as I saw today. When we stopped at the Kettleman City Tesla Superchargers, all sixteen 250 kW chargers were taken, and only 8 out of the twenty four 150 kW chargers were available! Luckily the mapping software is smart enough to re-route you to alternate charging locations nearby. Because I used a 150 kW charger, it took 25 minutes, which we took advantage of an ate a quick lunch (it was after 12).

So back to road and wind noise...there wasn't much of it. at 80 MPH, the cabin was quiet, tire and wind noise was very faint. Even on the rougher roads. As far as suspension feel, the suspension easily handled the rough roads. It's not exactly a luxury ride, but I would more describe it as compliant and comfortable. As far as handling, the Y feels extremely stable at high speeds, and the steering is very precise.

But what really surprised me was Autopilot. It's extremely accurate, reacts quickly to sudden braking in front of us, and picked up on someone drifting in my lane. And it saved me when we hit SoCal traffic. I just left it in Autopilot, and I didn't have to even touch the brake. Occasionally I had to hit the accelerator to get it to move faster, but mostly I didn't have to touch either. It's brilliant driving in stop n go traffic!

It's such an amazing and relaxing car to drive on a long trip, I would suggest to anyone to rent one if you can and take it for a trip to see for yourself
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
LeX2K (09-22-23), Mike728 (09-22-23)
Old 09-23-23, 01:07 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

It's such an amazing and relaxing car to drive on a long trip, I would suggest to anyone to rent one if you can and take it for a trip to see for yourself
my friend who is a recent MYLR owner just told me a gas car is a better road trip car. He didn’t elaborate on why but could be because of the frequent/extended SC stops.

I’ve personally rented a Model 3 twice (standard and performance) and one time I had to make a decision whether to turn on the heat because it was cold and stop at a charging station in an unfamiliar location around midnight or use the seat warmer to save enough juice to make it home and to the closest SC the following morning.

I chose the seat warmer vs stopping but after a while I had to turn on the heat once I exited the highway🥶. I believe I arrived at the SC with less than 20% of charge remaining the following morning.
Old 09-23-23, 05:58 AM
signdetres
Racer

Just drove my Y over 400 miles to my brothers house in SoCal (for the second time), and I'm just going to mention some things about the drive. This time I paid special attention to everything from road and wind noise, to suspension feel. My hope was to get out of the house by 8am so that we could avoid most of SoCal's epic traffic, but that was foiled by my wife who lives in her own time zone. I was a little lucky, I managed to get her out and in the car by 9am, but unfortunately that added two extra hours to our drive because to beat SoCal traffic, you must leave no later than 8:30am. We didn't, so there's that.

I want to note that I have never seen this many Tesla's on the road as I saw today. When we stopped at the Kettleman City Tesla Superchargers, all sixteen 250 kW chargers were taken, and only 8 out of the twenty four 150 kW chargers were available! Luckily the mapping software is smart enough to re-route you to alternate charging locations nearby. Because I used a 150 kW charger, it took 25 minutes, which we took advantage of an ate a quick lunch (it was after 12).

So back to road and wind noise...there wasn't much of it. at 80 MPH, the cabin was quiet, tire and wind noise was very faint. Even on the rougher roads. As far as suspension feel, the suspension easily handled the rough roads. It's not exactly a luxury ride, but I would more describe it as compliant and comfortable. As far as handling, the Y feels extremely stable at high speeds, and the steering is very precise.

But what really surprised me was Autopilot. It's extremely accurate, reacts quickly to sudden braking in front of us, and picked up on someone drifting in my lane. And it saved me when we hit SoCal traffic. I just left it in Autopilot, and I didn't have to even touch the brake. Occasionally I had to hit the accelerator to get it to move faster, but mostly I didn't have to touch either. It's brilliant driving in stop n go traffic!

I'm curious as to how much better the ride is with the comfort suspension and 19" wheels instead of the 20" wheels we have. We just got back yesterday from the Detroit Auto Show, about 1100 miles there and back with the Model Y. There were so many times throughout the drive that I kept trying to figure out what words I'd use to describe the ride quality and kept coming up with words like: busy, unforgiving, harsh, rough, etc.

Also, I'm beginning to strongly prefer road trips in our EQS instead of the Model Y because of the charging situation. The Tesla charging stops felt like they took forever. The Model Y charge curve is very slow compared to the EQS. We just took a 1200 mile road trip a week prior to Ohio in the EQS and every time we had to charge, the EQS was ready to go before we were. In the Model Y, it felt like we were just sitting there waiting forever to get the range we needed to make it to our next stop. The stops in the Model Y took about 30 minutes each time. The EQS is usually done in 15-18 minutes.

For comparison, at 85%, EQS is still charging at 103 kw. Model Y is at 46 kw, less than half. The Model Y charges to 45ish% quickly, anything after that takes forever (or at least feels like it compared to the EQS).

The ride quality was so bad that my partner and I talked about it multiple times throughout the road trip and eventually came to the conclusion that the Model Y was all-around a great car, but the ride was so bad that it's not a car we could keep long-term. We'll replace it with a Cybertruck when it's finally available which should fix a lot of the issues we have with the Y (it'll have air suspension and chunky tires to fix the ride, 10+ degree rear-wheel steering and ambient lighting which I'm spoiled with in the EQS, and faster charging as it'll be on a 1000 volt architecture)
Old 09-23-23, 11:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
my friend who is a recent MYLR owner just told me a gas car is a better road trip car. He didn’t elaborate on why but could be because of the frequent/extended SC stops.

I’ve personally rented a Model 3 twice (standard and performance) and one time I had to make a decision whether to turn on the heat because it was cold and stop at a charging station in an unfamiliar location around midnight or use the seat warmer to save enough juice to make it home and to the closest SC the following morning.

I chose the seat warmer vs stopping but after a while I had to turn on the heat once I exited the highway🥶. I believe I arrived at the SC with less than 20% of charge remaining the following morning.
I'm sorry to report, your friend is incorrect. I've been making this trip back to SoCal since 2001, as that's when I moved to the Bay Area (for a job offer), and my family all live there. I've driven over the years everything from several Camry's (both inline 4 and V6), two different Sienna's, ES350, my IS350, a few rented cars including a Lincoln MKZ with the TT 3.0L V6, and by far the two best cars I've travelled in are the Model Y, followed by the Polestar. The IS350 was also a great trip car, but the Y is so much better the way it drives.

It was in the 90's so I had the AC blasting. Only two stops, the first was 25 minutes only because there were no 250 kW chargers that were free (the majority were 150 kW), since it was lunch time, we grabbed a quick bite. Since 250 kW chargers are double the speed, I could have just waited for one, but we were hungry. The second stop was 12 minutes, barely enough time for me use the bathroom.

I understand people have this misconception and fear that travelling in an EV means you have to turn off the heater or the AC or you run out of range, it's just absolutely not true. And if you travel in a Tesla (at least in California), it's pretty much like driving a gas car, it maybe takes you 20 minutes longer. As someone who has owned and driven gasoline vehicles since I was 16 (1984), I will personally never go back
Old 09-23-23, 11:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm curious as to how much better the ride is with the comfort suspension and 19" wheels instead of the 20" wheels we have. We just got back yesterday from the Detroit Auto Show, about 1100 miles there and back with the Model Y. There were so many times throughout the drive that I kept trying to figure out what words I'd use to describe the ride quality and kept coming up with words like: busy, unforgiving, harsh, rough, etc.

Also, I'm beginning to strongly prefer road trips in our EQS instead of the Model Y because of the charging situation. The Tesla charging stops felt like they took forever. The Model Y charge curve is very slow compared to the EQS. We just took a 1200 mile road trip a week prior to Ohio in the EQS and every time we had to charge, the EQS was ready to go before we were. In the Model Y, it felt like we were just sitting there waiting forever to get the range we needed to make it to our next stop. The stops in the Model Y took about 30 minutes each time. The EQS is usually done in 15-18 minutes.

For comparison, at 85%, EQS is still charging at 103 kw. Model Y is at 46 kw, less than half. The Model Y charges to 45ish% quickly, anything after that takes forever (or at least feels like it compared to the EQS).

The ride quality was so bad that my partner and I talked about it multiple times throughout the road trip and eventually came to the conclusion that the Model Y was all-around a great car, but the ride was so bad that it's not a car we could keep long-term. We'll replace it with a Cybertruck when it's finally available which should fix a lot of the issues we have with the Y (it'll have air suspension and chunky tires to fix the ride, 10+ degree rear-wheel steering and ambient lighting which I'm spoiled with in the EQS, and faster charging as it'll be on a 1000 volt architecture)
A quick fix is to move to 19" tires. I'm telling you, we have pretty crappy roads here and the ride was great. I have Continentals and they are very quiet. Suspension handled everything perfectly. Both my wife and daughter slept like babies. The cabin was so quiet, I could hear them snoring LoL. As far as charging, as long as I'm able to hit a 250 kW charger, it's pretty fast. It does slow down as it's getting to 80 percent, but that's just expected with the 400v battery pack.

For sure it will never match the EQS in noise dampening and road isolation, I won't even try to compete with you there . Nor the 800v charging, but if I don't have to use EA, I'm happy with that
Old 09-23-23, 12:49 PM
signdetres
Racer

A quick fix is to move to 19" tires. I'm telling you, we have pretty crappy roads here and the ride was great. I have Continentals and they are very quiet. Suspension handled everything perfectly. Both my wife and daughter slept like babies. The cabin was so quiet, I could hear them snoring LoL. As far as charging, as long as I'm able to hit a 250 kW charger, it's pretty fast. It does slow down as it's getting to 80 percent, but that's just expected with the 400v battery pack.

For sure it will never match the EQS in noise dampening and road isolation, I won't even try to compete with you there . Nor the 800v charging, but if I don't have to use EA, I'm happy with that
There's no way the 19s will "fix" it. They'll improve it somewhat but fundamentally, it is what it is which is just stiff and unrefined. It makes it a hoot to throw around corners, it's so sharp and responsive and keeps the body very flat, but in a straight line on some of the awful highways out here, not to mention with all the road construction, it was just not a pleasant experience. Our dogs were along for the ride and they weren't having the best time either. Every bump and impact kept disturbing them between the actual impact and the sound/boominess of it.

EQS is 400v architecture like Tesla.

It might not always be worth waiting for the 250 kW charger. You might as well just use the 150 kW charger (assuming no one else is there halfing the speed). Check out this Model Y charge curve and you'll see what I mean. Tesla Model Y slows down WAY before 80%.
  • It only charges above 200 kW between 6-15%
  • Above 15% and you're charging under 200 kW
  • Above 30% and you're charging under 150 kW

AMIRZA786 (09-23-23)

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black