EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 07:30 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so, neat parlor trick that it is to display all the things the car recognizes ahead, but what really is the purpose/value of it? i mean you could also look out the giant pieces of glass around you.
better recognition of all the things around your vehicle is a necessary part of the evolution of self driving. This might be a cool feature on the one hand, but on the other think of all the vehicles getting massive amounts of object recognition data for Tesla to process.

edit - amirza786 beat me to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (11-10-23), Hameed (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

what's displayed on the screen has nothing to do with AI, it's a reflection of what the cameras/AI see. it's cool but i found it distracting when driving one. can it be turned off?
Old 11-10-23, 07:54 PM
swajames
Pole Position

what's displayed on the screen has nothing to do with AI, it's a reflection of what the cameras/AI see. it's cool but i found it distracting when driving one. can it be turned off?
It does. What Amirza and I said is exactly how Tesla operate. The “cool feature” is simultaneously gathering a ton of object recognition data and that data is getting pushed to Tesla.
AMIRZA786 (11-10-23), Mike728 (11-11-23)
Old 11-10-23, 07:59 PM
swajames
Pole Position

There was a post here a little while back about a Tesla showing that there were bicycles next to the car. What was actually next to the car were pictures of bikes on a wall. The car still recognized the object and highlighted the bikes on the UI.

AMIRZA786 (11-10-23), Hameed (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
better recognition of all the things around your vehicle is a necessary part of the evolution of self driving. This might be a cool feature on the one hand, but on the other think of all the vehicles getting massive amounts of object recognition data for Tesla to process.

edit - amirza786 beat me to it.
i GET that the car is gathering the data and analyzing it can use for fsd, etc., and the tesla collective also gains value from it. my point is it gains nothing from presenting that to the driver except for ooh and aahs.
Old 11-10-23, 08:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

There was a post here a little while back about a Tesla showing that there were bicycles next to the car. What was actually next to the car were pictures of bikes on a wall. The car still recognized the object and highlighted the bikes on the UI.
ok, i don't think that's of value to the driver either.
Old 11-10-23, 08:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

As @swajames already mentioned, object recognition is extremely important to the future of self driving. It used to render my trash cans as trucks. Imagine if the car is parking itself at the curb and it thinks a trash can on the sidewalk is a vehicle, so it will pass up available parking. Also recognizing things like bicycle lanes, types of vehicles etc is extremely important.

It also shows me how Tesla's are evolving through software updates. By seeing what Tesla can see gives me more confidence, and it will probably start seeing small details missed by the human eye. Pretty soon it will start picking up stuff like potholes, which can save us from tire damage
Old 11-10-23, 08:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

i GET that the car is gathering the data and analyzing it can use for fsd, etc., and the tesla collective also gains value from it. my point is it gains nothing from presenting that to the driver except for ooh and aahs.
I like oohs and aahs. But on a serious note, it does help because it renders images of vehicles and objects in my blind spots
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (11-11-23)
Old 11-10-23, 11:21 PM
swajames
Pole Position

ok, i don't think that's of value to the driver either.
The point is that it’s clearly beneficial to current and future self driving.
Old 11-11-23, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The point is that it’s clearly beneficial to current and future self driving.
if "it's" is presenting on the screen then that is of no value to the current and future self driving. but gathering and analyzing the data is. that was my point.

Old 11-11-23, 09:54 AM
swajames
Pole Position

if "it's" is presenting on the screen then that is of no value to the current and future self driving. but gathering and analyzing the data is. that was my point.
Well we may as well agree to disagree there as I could not disagree more. I think object recognition and the highlighting of detected objects in the UI for driver awareness is helpful, neat and cool. But it's also a safety feature. You might not, for example, notice the silent cyclist next to you at the lights - but the car will, and you will see that there's a cyclist around you on your display. I think that's a great feature.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Well we may as well agree to disagree there as I could not disagree more. I think object recognition and the highlighting of detected objects in the UI for driver awareness is helpful, neat and cool. But it's also a safety feature. You might not, for example, notice the silent cyclist next to you at the lights - but the car will, and you will see that there's a cyclist around you on your display. I think that's a great feature.
moving goalposts much - if it's helpful to drivers to avoid a cyclist, that's got nothing to do with self-driving.

not saying it can't be helpful but i think all the shapes moving, coming and going and often being wrong is like watching twich while driving. rather distracting
Old 11-11-23, 11:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

moving goalposts much - if it's helpful to drivers to avoid a cyclist, that's got nothing to do with self-driving.

not saying it can't be helpful but i think all the shapes moving, coming and going and often being wrong is like watching twich while driving. rather distracting
In 6 months of owning this car, it hasn't distracted me once. It's only helped me avoid cars and objects in my blind spots. It's also helped me maneuver through tight spots.

Of the numerous cars I've driven over the years, it's one of the most useful features I've ever had in a vehicle. If it could be turned off, it would always be on in my car
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
Hameed (11-11-23), swajames (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 11:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

life’s a lot easier when you can think laterally as well as literally

What is helpful information for a driver is also rather helpful information for a car that can drive itself.

There’s no goalpost-moving here. Both things can be (and are) simultaneously true.

Old 11-11-23, 12:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

There’s no goalpost-moving here. Both things can be (and are) simultaneously true.
and i don't think i said they couldn't both be true. i simply said presenting distracting (to some) traffic displays (that can't be turned off apparently) to 'help' drivers is a side 'benefit' to the gathering and processing of data for self driving.
now if the car had that display (or alerts from the analysis) in a heads up display or gauges in direct line of view, imo, it could be more helpful.

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black