EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 07:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice. he deserves a medal for daily suffering in a prius the new prius though seems to be an improvement.

had he ever driven an EV? i think anyone who drives an EV for the first time is likely to be blown away because the feel, response, and lack of noise is so different. my first time i wasn't blown away because i'd watched so many videos on it, but i did enjoy it!
Nope, his first EV, if you don't count his Prius driving 10 feet on battery .

He was a passenger in my Polestar earlier this year, but this was his first time driving a full BEV. He was blown away by the Polestar as well, but not the price
Old 11-14-23, 01:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Nope, his first EV, if you don't count his Prius driving 10 feet on battery .
haha

He was a passenger in my Polestar earlier this year, but this was his first time driving a full BEV. He was blown away by the Polestar as well, but not the price
he thought the price was high? or not high? assuming latter since he has a 911

grins per dollar is high on ev's.
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 02:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

haha

he thought the price was high? or not high? assuming latter since he has a 911

grins per dollar is high on ev's.
Polestar raised their prices, so it's around $54,700 MSRP pre options. It also doesn't offer much utility, since he's the facilities manager, he needs to sometimes haul stuff between our Bay Area offices. This makes the Polestar impractical for his needs. The Model Y Long Range on the other hand starts at $48,990, and is roomy, practical, and efficient, which checks all his boxes.

He hardly drives the 911 to the office, maybe twice a month. I'm assuming he's trying to keep it low mileage
Old 11-21-23, 09:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My insurance company rewarded both me and my wife's excellent driving record with...raising our rate

Old 11-21-23, 09:21 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

My insurance company rewarded both me and my wife's excellent driving record with...raising our rate

My insurance company showed me the same love and appreciation too...

I guess that's what I get for being a customer for 10 years and never filing a claim. Lol
Old 11-21-23, 09:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
My insurance company showed me the same love and appreciation too...

I guess that's what I get for being a customer for 10 years and never filing a claim. Lol
Insurance companies can care less about loyalty. I had to move my insurance from one company to another just to save $200. For insuring a Tesla...Tesla Insurance is the cheapest, by a mile. State Farm, which insures my other cars, is about $500 a year more expensive for the Tesla
Old 11-21-23, 09:40 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I know people start driving at difference ages, but does the extra 13 years of driving experience correlate with your wife being 13 years younger?

If so, well played my friend, well played.
AMIRZA786 (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 09:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
I know people start driving at difference ages, but does the extra 13 years of driving experience correlate with your wife being 13 years younger?

If so, well played my friend, well played.
LoL . She's about 8 years younger. She did have a North Carolina DL (where she lived), but didn't actually start driving and get her California DL until after we had our daughter. So she is younger than me, and started driving regularly in her later adult life. She comes from a wealthy family, so I guess a perk she enjoyed before we got married. Now she drives more than me
Old 11-27-23, 09:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This morning the temp was 37 degrees F, so the windows were iced up. I decided to use the remote "Defrost Car" feature in the app:

So I turned it on 20 minutes before I was leaving for work. It gives you a warning that it's turning it on full. And damn, did it! Not only did it turn on the front and rear defrosters, but it turned on the heated seats and heated steering wheel. When I opened the door of the car, it was like opening an oven! I had to drive to work with the windows open until the cabin cooled a bit. Where did it think I was, Canada??

So the lesson here is, turn it on 5 minutes before you leave, not 20. That said, the car was fully defrosted...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-27-23 at 09:29 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
BayeauxLex (11-28-23), bitkahuna (11-27-23), Mike728 (11-27-23)
Old 11-27-23, 10:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

haha, i see it coming, the tesla toaster oven option.
AMIRZA786 (11-27-23)
Old 11-27-23, 10:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

haha, i see it coming, the tesla toaster oven option.
I do wish I had some toast with me at the time
Old 11-27-23, 10:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla Model Y surprises by overtaking Jeeps in quick sand dune climb

There are things that Teslas are known to do. Winning drag races easily is one of them, and more recently, with the advent of the Model S Plaid with Track Mode, competing on the track has become another. Off-roading, however, has always been considered as something that would have to wait, at least until the Cybertruck starts its consumer deliveries.

This is not to say that Tesla has not put in any effort to develop its vehicles’ off-roading capabilities. When the Model Y was released, electric vehicle enthusiasts quickly observed that the all-electric crossover had a dedicated “Off-Road Assist” mode. Few looked at the feature very seriously, however, as the Model Y’s low ground clearance suggested that the vehicle would be an adequate “soft-roader” at most.

As per a recent video that was shared on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, it would appear that the Tesla Model Y’s off-road performance should probably not be dismissed. In the short clip, the Model Y could be seen starting at the same line as a couple of Jeeps. As the climb began, the Model Y proceeded to easily and authoritatively overtake its two combustion-powered peers.

At the end of the video, the Model Y could be seen driving all the way up to the top of the sand dune while the two Jeeps turned back near the top. Overall, it’s pretty difficult not to be impressed with the Model Y as it practically treated the sand dune as a drag strip. That’s quite an accomplishment for a city car like the Model Y.

The video, of course, only increases the excitement for the upcoming Cybertruck, which is starting its deliveries at the end of the month. The Tesla Cybertruck is designed from the ground up to be a tough vehicle that can take severe punishment, so when it comes to tackling sand dunes, the all-electric pickup truck will likely do quite a bit better than its crossover sibling.

Elon Musk has stated in the past that the Cybertruck should be able to perform well at Baja. Over the past months, Cybertruck release candidates were indeed spotted testing at the off-road location. The Cybertruck has also been seen testing at off-road areas like Hollister Hills in California.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...e-climb-video/
Old 11-28-23, 10:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The company I work for recently went through a minor restructuring, which led to a mass layoff in our San Antonio TX office. The company offered two of the engineers an option to relocate to our California office. I was talking to one them this morning asking if he's feeling the "sticker shock" of moving to Silicon Valley, and he told me he really feels it when he hits the gas pumps:

He mentioned that his last fillup before he left San Antonio was $2.30 LoL! The last time I saw gas prices like that was the 1990's . So naturally, I took him out to meet my Model Y
Old 11-28-23, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

nice for you with your ev but those high gas prices really hit those that can least afford it and certainly can't afford or charge an ev.
Old 11-28-23, 08:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

nice for you with your ev but those high gas prices really hit those that can least afford it and certainly can't afford or charge an ev.
I definitely feel bad for those who can't afford the high gas prices, but my coworker isn't among those. He's a highly paid engineer. I can assure you, his truck is almost 2x the cost of my Y

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black