EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24 | 03:18 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I tried creep one time when I first got the car and put it in hold and never looked back. I can time everything perfectly to where I never touch the brake unless it is something sudden. I do make sure I use the brakes at least once when I drive because I’ve had an Oh sh.t moment once and the brakes didn’t grab right from the lack of use.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (01-11-24), Hameed (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24 | 10:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I tried creep one time when I first got the car and put it in hold and never looked back. I can time everything perfectly to where I never touch the brake unless it is something sudden. I do make sure I use the brakes at least once when I drive because I’ve had an Oh sh.t moment once and the brakes didn’t grab right from the lack of use.
With my Polestar, they suggest turning off or lowering Regen every now and then to keep the brakes clean. I haven't seen that advice with Tesla, but it's probably a good idea
Old 01-11-24 | 10:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
With my Polestar, they suggest turning off or lowering Regen every now and then to keep the brakes clean. I haven't seen that advice with Tesla, but it's probably a good idea
It might be, if that was a possibility. There is no way to reduce regen, except when it does it for us when the battery is either too cold, or has a high charge level. There used to be, but they removed it back around 2022. At least on the MY.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24 | 01:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I can't lower regen on my S (unless there was an update recently that I didn't know about or check for). I've read/heard that Teslas apply the brakes lightly in some instances so that it keeps the brakes clean but I just remember driving for days without touching the brakes and when I hit the brakes one time it didn't bite like it normally does so I just use the brakes every so often just in case.
AMIRZA786 (01-11-24)
Old 01-12-24 | 06:29 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Anyone have an opinion on tires for Model Y (performance if possible) between Pirelli and Michelin? Mine came with Pirelli. Time to replace so I'm shopping.
Old 01-12-24 | 08:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

your tesla will do that for you occasionally.
AMIRZA786 (01-12-24)
Old 01-12-24 | 09:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
your tesla will do that for you occasionally.
Yes, thanks. I read that it also applies the brakes when needed
Old 01-12-24 | 09:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Anyone have an opinion on tires for Model Y (performance if possible) between Pirelli and Michelin? Mine came with Pirelli. Time to replace so I'm shopping.
The Michelin Pilots are really good, but they are a bit noisy. I really like the Continental ProContacts. Good grip, not too loud and cheaper than the Michelin's
Old 01-12-24 | 12:59 PM
simonasj
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I changed my MYP Pirelli's to Hankook Ion Evo All Season recently, I am really happy with them: more quiet, softer - just what I was looking for, will see how long they will last, I think it might be longer than Michelins or Pirellis. It was also much cheaper.
Old 01-12-24 | 01:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by simonasj
I changed my MYP Pirelli's to Hankook Ion Evo All Season recently, I am really happy with them: more quiet, softer - just what I was looking for, will see how long they will last, I think it might be longer that Michelins or Pirellis.
I was going to mention Hankook. I've heard good things about the brand
Old 01-12-24 | 03:21 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by simonasj
I changed my MYP Pirelli's to Hankook Ion Evo All Season recently, I am really happy with them: more quiet, softer - just what I was looking for, will see how long they will last, I think it might be longer than Michelins or Pirellis. It was also much cheaper.
Interesting, thank you. I don't know that these would have been on my radar but I will add them to the list to research.

The Michelin Pilots are really good, but they are a bit noisy. I really like the Continental ProContacts. Good grip, not too loud and cheaper than the Michelin's
. I'm looking for as quiet as I can get. I was hoping the Michelin would be less noisy.
AMIRZA786 (01-12-24)
Old 01-21-24 | 06:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Got back from a weekend trip with the Y, and this one was an adventure. I visited my Aunt and Uncle who live in a small town in the Sierra Foothills, just East of Visalia called Three Rivers. This town is remote, has only one cell tower, and internet that is so spotty that you would think you were in the late 90's. And best of all, the closest Fast chargers are about 36 miles from our hotel, and only two Level 2 Tesla destination chargers in the whole town, both not easy to get to:

I only used them once, charging for about an hour. Thankfully the car is so efficient, it lasted me the whole trip. And because it's a mountain road, I generated a lot back when heading back to our hotel, which is down the mountain from my Aunts house. The trip, which was almost 500 miles only required two supercharger stops total. 20 minutes the first stop and 20 minutes heading home. I charged to 80 percent when I was about 100 miles from my aunts house, and 77 percent heading home, got home with 14 percent SoC.

There is basically only one road in and out of Three Rivers, a two lane road called Sierra Way. But man is it gorgeous. And I was totally impressed how the Y handled the winding mountain roads. My Aunt who would always lecture me if I drive to fast on the winding roads didn't even notice I was hitting 70 mph The Tesla is so balanced, even my daughter who is prone to car sickness was fine. It hugs the road perfectly, taking every curve thrown easily. It hit the steep inclines effortlessly

It probably would have been easier to take our Sienna, but what's the fun in that? We had no issues with charging, and if I was in a pinch, I would have just plugged into my Aunts 110v, or headed to my cousins ranch down the mountain who has a 240v circuit. At no point was I worried, nor did I at any time had range anxiety. Anyway, so more pics:

The following 4 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bowser (01-22-24), LeX2K (01-22-24), Mike728 (01-22-24), mike995134 (01-22-24)
Old 01-21-24 | 09:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

More pics of Three Rivers

I'm not sure if I would attempt this same trip with either my Polestar or Ioniq 5. Possibly if I was by myself and didn't have my family with me. BTW, didn't see any other EVs up there except Tesla's...
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
LeX2K (01-22-24), Mike728 (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24 | 09:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I forgot to mention this, but I discovered something interesting coming home yesterday. As we were driving on the highway, a giant tumbleweed rolled across the highway. I was using Traffic Aware Cruise control, and the Y spotted the tumbleweed and slowed itself down just enough to let the tumbleweed roll across the highway before speeding up. It timed it perfectly!

Another thing which was a little annoying was my aunts house is built on a hill, so her driveway snakes up the hill. It's very narrow, and there is grass on both sides. The Y's parking assist kept complaining because the driveway is so narrow, it set the grass as boundaries, and you can't help but go a little on the grass, so the Y kept beeping warnings at me going up and down. It was pretty annoying and I kept telling it to "shut up". My aunt was pretty amused at how the car was complaining, she has an over 10 year old Toyota Yaris (which is tiny) and just zips up and down the driveway
Old 01-30-24 | 12:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

10,600 miles and 8 months later, it's time for a mini update.

So far, this has been a solid, no nonsense vehicle. I cannot overstate it's efficiency, it's been a pleasure to own and drive over the last 8 months. It's only gotten better over time as Tesla pushes software updates, adding new features and continually refining and fine tuning it's driving dynamics. The infotainment system continues to be responsive, and has not glitched even once since taking delivery. If I have any complaints about my Y, it would be this:

Rain sensing Windshield wipers don't work properly
Occasionally Bluetooth phone key will disconnect

That's it. As a complete package of service centers, and Tesla's Supercharger network, it's so far been the best vehicle I've owned. And due to the continued software updates, I think it's only going to get better over time
bitkahuna (01-31-24)

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black