EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

MM Condensed-Review/Test-Drive: 2023 Ford Mach-E Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23 | 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That would be very odd for the government to intervene here given all standards were met.

Looking at the design, First, I'm not quite sure they were met. That rigid door-handle tab could, in some cases, be a hazard to pedestrians. Second, maybe there are no specific Federal requirements for door-handles....that's why we so many different designs.
Old 06-14-23 | 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
So I'm curious....if a buyer could qualify for the $7500 tax credit, effectively bringing the price of this car down to $40K, would you then think it's a decent value?
Good question......I didn't really consider that in the write-up. Obviously, it would make it a somewhat better value than without the credit......but dealerships might nullify some of that if they ask a significant mark-up. The chances of mark-ups, though, seem to be lessening as Ford puts more Mach-Es into production and dealerships stock more of them. There was a decent number of them in stock when I looked at them a couple of days ago.

It's still difficult, though, to beat the Bolt and Bolt EUV when it comes to value in a pure-electric vehicle....even more so with the tax-credits. That is why they are selling.
Old 06-14-23 | 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmckinley​
​​​​Good review, I have a couple of friends who own this and none of them are thrilled with it. One of my buddies is very anti-Tesla and he actually said "I should've just gotten the Model Y."
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I wonder why you compared it to the Model 3 instead of the Model Y?

I didn't directly compare it to the Model Y because I have not sampled or driven one...but I have sampled the Model 3, which has a lot of similarities.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-23 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-14-23 | 09:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I didn't directly compare it to the Model Y because I have not sampled or driven one...but I have sailed the Model 3, which has a lot of similarities.
If you are ever in my part of the woods, my Model Y LR is all yours for a drive and review! I've never driven, but have driven as a passenger in my friends Mach-E, and I don't like it. He ended up buying a Model Y and selling his Mach-e
Old 06-14-23 | 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If you are ever in my part of the woods, my Model Y LR is all yours for a drive and review! I've never driven, but have driven as a passenger in my friends Mach-E, and I don't like it. He ended up buying a Model Y and selling his Mach-e

Thanks for the offer...but I don't travel much anymore.

Seems like several commenters here, including you, agree with me that they don't like the Mach-E.
Old 06-14-23 | 09:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

First time I've seen anyone say the interior is cheap with poor materials. Random YT vid, interior looks good to me.

Old 06-14-23 | 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
First time I've seen anyone say the interior is cheap with poor materials.
Several posters here agree with me.
Old 06-14-23 | 09:57 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Several posters here agree with me.
About the interior? None of them have been in the car. The people mentioned that owned one didn't like the overall experience, nothing about a cheap interior.
Old 06-14-23 | 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

In their compilation from various reviews (10 used for the Ford) US News and World Report ranks the Mach E #3 in the segment just behind the Kia EV6 and Kia Ioniq 5. Surprisingly the Mach E interior is rated higher than the Kia and Hyundai.

Best Electric SUVs for 2023 | U.S. News (usnews.com)
Old 06-14-23 | 09:59 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Thanks....glad you liked it.

If you think the interior is bad, just wait till you try those exterior door-handles. I don't know if you sampled them or not, but they are a trip.

What you see there is just a piece of black-finished hard-metal, solidly-attached to the door-trim, that doesn't move at all. You can barely even grip it with a thumb and two fingers. I suspect the NHTSA may (?) force a redesign soon, because it also looks to me like a safety-hazard to a pedestrian who gets sideswiped...it could cause added injury.

That carbon fiber sticker is beyond tacky.
Old 06-14-23 | 12:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
First time I've seen anyone say the interior is cheap with poor materials. Random YT vid, interior looks good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgZG_lJv338
Well if Beth + Matt say so.....

I was in a Mach E Lyft. Interior was fine; not great; not cheap.
Old 06-14-23 | 12:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
$2500 mandatory mark-up package for that.....
Old 06-14-23 | 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
The whole handle-tab itself is ridiculous...check it out yourself next time you are at or near a Ford shop.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-23 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-14-23 | 01:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Looking at the design, First, I'm not quite sure they were met. That rigid door-handle tab could, in some cases, be a hazard to pedestrians. Second, maybe there are no specific Federal requirements for door-handles....that's why we so many different designs.
If they're close enough to get hit by the grab handle they're going to get hit by the sideview mirror too
Old 06-14-23 | 01:41 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Good review as always.

I can see someone accidently kicking that ridiculous tablet and breaking it in half. You know, when you have to jump from driver's side to passenger's side.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed-Review/Test-Drive: 2023 Ford Mach-E Mustang