EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The First Lexus BEV: Lexus RZ 450e First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 07:57 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
It doesn't appear that way or the bZ4x would be class leading.
My point, exactly. Surprising. Disappointing. Kinda like a good student turning in subpar work, but on a larger scale. I have to believe they could have done better. My question is, why didn't they? It's a mystery to me.

But I am waiting imapatiently for the Highland!
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
LeX2K (06-27-23), Margate330 (06-27-23)
Old 06-27-23, 08:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,755 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My point, exactly. Surprising. Disappointing. Kinda like a good student turning in subpar work, but on a larger scale. I have to believe they could have done better. My question is, why didn't they? It's a mystery to me.

It's really no mystery. I think they truly thought hydrogen was the answer, kinda of like how Sony bet on Betamax over VHS, which was actually better in some ways. When hydrogen turned out to not be as easy as they thought, they got caught off guard. COVID and supply chain shortages didn't help the situation and just made things worse
Old 06-27-23, 08:04 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

i like good analogies and that's a good one.

My grade on it is a C+ or B-, so far from what ya'll are saying.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-27-23)
Old 06-28-23, 12:07 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's really no mystery. I think they truly thought hydrogen was the answer, kinda of like how Sony bet on Betamax over VHS, which was actually better in some ways. When hydrogen turned out to not be as easy as they thought, they got caught off guard. COVID and supply chain shortages didn't help the situation and just made things worse
I don't think so, unless it was too far into development to halt. CEO Sato is changing the focus. But who knows? Regardless, results count.
Old 06-28-23, 12:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I don't think so, unless it was too far into development to halt. CEO Sato is changing the focus. But who knows? Regardless, results count.
Toyota was heavily invested in Hydrogen (still is), and if you think about it, it could have possibly been a winning strategy if the Model 3 had not taken off the way it did. Just my thoughts
Old 06-29-23, 03:15 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
We had similar type of problem before with diesels in Europe, where after dpf filters were 4-5 years old and started failing catastrophically, TMME started telling dealers that customers should not drive these cars in the cities, but on highways, where they can regenerate regularly before the problem happens (when it is too late) - but nobody told this warning to the customer before the purchase.

Since Toyota now started a separate BEV arm of the company, I hope they give them BEV cars to drive from different manufacturers (hopefully Tesla) so they can see what they are missing. It might be a new thing for Toyota, but BEVs are now several generations old.
It's not technically their first EV either, and it definitely isn't their first attempt at optimizing an electric drive path (all those hybrids). They don't really have an excuse for this. Maybe for the battery - and it's a very big maybe (and doesn't make sense to me but let's throw them a bone).

Re: their diesels - DPFs in general were and still are a problem for everybody if driven in city conditions - nothing to be done about it. People should not be buying diesels for city usage anyways for a lot of other reasons. As for failing - it's usually due to burning oil, fuel soot alone (assuming proper ULSD) shouldn't "permanently" clog a DPF. Anyways, the 2AD series aren't exactly known as very reliable engines for reasons other than the DPF :P
Old 06-29-23, 07:52 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Toyota was heavily invested in Hydrogen (still is), and if you think about it, it could have possibly been a winning strategy if the Model 3 had not taken off the way it did. Just my thoughts
Hydrogen is very expensive and there are virtually no filling stations. EV filling stations are everywhere.
Old 06-29-23, 08:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hydrogen is very expensive and there are virtually no filling stations. EV filling stations are everywhere.
It's a bet that didn't pay off because they didn't go big enough. If you believe in something, you bet big on it. Elon believed BEV's were viable and bet the house on them, which meant building out massive charging infrastructure and not just cars. From all the Googling I did, it looks like between Toyota and Shell they promised a $10B Euro investment, but I don't even think that panned out