EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The First Lexus BEV: Lexus RZ 450e First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 12:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Default The First Lexus BEV: Lexus RZ 450e First Impressions

The First Lexus BEV: Lexus RZ 450e First Impressions

Old 06-24-23, 09:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

what a weak review of a weak ev offering. i'm sure it's fine it it's used around town and not on trips.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (06-24-23), ST430 (06-26-23)
Old 06-25-23, 12:42 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what a weak review of a weak ev offering. i'm sure it's fine it it's used around town and not on trips.
For that kinda money? I love my Toyotas, but no thanks.
Old 06-25-23, 01:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
For that kinda money? I love my Toyotas, but no thanks.
you love your tesla, and good for you. so this isn't for you. but i can see this being bought by someone who's had an nx or rx and wants to follow the ev trend. it will be familiar, but an ev.

it's certainly no home run, but at least it's a toe in the water.
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (06-26-23)
Old 06-25-23, 03:59 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

It's like they are trying to give the impression of huge wheel gaps on purpose with those massive black trim pieces around with wheel wells. Expensive, slow for an EV, low range, and not particularly attractive. Poor offering by Lexus.
Old 06-25-23, 08:43 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

I think Toyota will end up surprising everyone and then we eat humble pie for naysaying. Lol

I'm playing it safe and trying not to underestimate them.

I work on Japaneese electronics, they can do it, no sweat.

They already the leader in hybrids, so drop the ICE and add more battery for full EV?

Need long range, always have the hybrid option. Lol

Old 06-26-23, 10:27 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

you love your tesla, and good for you. so this isn't for you. but i can see this being bought by someone who's had an nx or rx and wants to follow the ev trend. it will be familiar, but an ev.

I see it a little differently. Toyota pretty much invented the hybrid and still makes the best hybrids, hands down. I've purchased 4 RX450h; they get the same (better?) mileage than our beloved 2006 Acura TSX. The Prius changed the world; it was the #1 selling car in CA for years. The RAV4 EV was a joint effort between Toyota and Tesla. My neighbors had one and loved it.
I fully expected Toyota, with their legendary engineering resulting in long running, problem free cars and trucks, to deliver that home run. I am a little disappointed, that's all. I love my Toyotas.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
AMIRZA786 (06-26-23), ST430 (06-26-23)
Old 06-26-23, 06:49 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I see it a little differently. Toyota pretty much invented the hybrid and still makes the best hybrids, hands down. I've purchased 4 RX450h; they get the same (better?) mileage than our beloved 2006 Acura TSX. The Prius changed the world; it was the #1 selling car in CA for years. The RAV4 EV was a joint effort between Toyota and Tesla. My neighbors had one and loved it.
I fully expected Toyota, with their legendary engineering resulting in long running, problem free cars and trucks, to deliver that home run. I am a little disappointed, that's all. I love my Toyotas.
As I've said before, Toyota isn't allocating everything they have into their first EV's. They are putting serious money aside for the next gen EV's. Those will be the home runs you expect.
Old 06-26-23, 07:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,755 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
As I've said before, Toyota isn't allocating everything they have into their first EV's. They are putting serious money aside for the next gen EV's. Those will be the home runs you expect.
I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but where is your proof in that statement? Other than press releases and half baked EV's to please their investors, where is the supposed investment? Where are the factories or even factory blueprints? Where is the SSD SSB battery effort they keep talking about? I can post financial statements, pictures of production lines, Battery packs designs, deals being made when it comes to Ford, GM, VW, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai/Kia and of course Tesla, but from Toyota/Lexus, all I've ever seen is press releases and non working prototypes.

Personally, I don't really care if Toyota/Lexus comes out or doesn't come out with an EV. I don't ever plan to buy anything from them. After this 1000 mile plus trip I just came back from today, there is no other EV I would ever buy that is not a Tesla

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-27-23 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-27-23, 08:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

gotta start somewhere, that is for sure. But it is very weak, and has many, many issues - at least BZ4x has, things like preventing you to quick charge more than 2x per day (road trip) or poor efficiency on highway are not easy to spot for the buyer.

We had similar type of problem before with diesels in Europe, where after dpf filters were 4-5 years old and started failing catastrophically, TMME started telling dealers that customers should not drive these cars in the cities, but on highways, where they can regenerate regularly before the problem happens (when it is too late) - but nobody told this warning to the customer before the purchase.

So even right now, dealers will not tell customers hey this $70k midsized CUV is not for highways, it is just a city car, and only if you have home charging. If you do not have home charging and you want to travel more than 100 miles with it, do not buy it.

Since Toyota now started a separate BEV arm of the company, I hope they give them BEV cars to drive from different manufacturers (hopefully Tesla) so they can see what they are missing. It might be a new thing for Toyota, but BEVs are now several generations old.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-27-23)
Old 06-27-23, 09:40 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by xjokerz
So Toyota wasted their world class engineering and tons of money delivering a sub par product? What kind of business decision is that? You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.
CEO Toyoda and his staff decided EV was not the future. They were wrong. CEO Sato is fixing this error.
Old 06-27-23, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

So Toyota wasted their world class engineering and tons of money delivering a sub par product? What kind of business decision is that? You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.
CEO Toyoda and his staff decided EV was not the future. They were wrong. CEO Sato is fixing this error.
as spwolf pointed out, toyota made horrible car diesel engines too. no company is perfect. sometimes it's lack of budget allocated. sometimes it's lack of talent on board. sometimes it's rushed product. sometimes it's all of those things.

we have no idea really if ceo sato is any better than ceo toyoda. it's just that sato (unless completely blind or in denial, which is possible ) now sees the competitive thread much more clearly.
Old 06-27-23, 11:44 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

as spwolf pointed out, toyota made horrible car diesel engines too. no company is perfect. sometimes it's lack of budget allocated. sometimes it's lack of talent on board. sometimes it's rushed product. sometimes it's all of those things.

we have no idea really if ceo sato is any better than ceo toyoda. it's just that sato (unless completely blind or in denial, which is possible ) now sees the competitive thread much more clearly.
Except Toyota has been making the best hybrids forever. One would expect that experience would lend itself to a great EV. Just my 2 cents... I believe CEO Sato is up to the job.
Old 06-27-23, 12:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts

Toyota hybrids haven't really innovated in a while. The Primes are nice, but the regular hybrid systems have been refined to perfection.
Old 06-27-23, 04:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Except Toyota has been making the best hybrids forever. One would expect that experience would lend itself to a great EV.
It doesn't appear that way or the bZ4x would be class leading.

Quick Reply: The First Lexus BEV: Lexus RZ 450e First Impressions