EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-24 | 12:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
Like JR said above, companies are going to be disclosing and CYA by over disclosing incidents because they don’t want to get second guessed but there have only been about 9 companies now that have disclosed breaches under the new rules so not as widespread as you think. I’ve been asked to look at many public companies specific cyber disclosures for compliance these days since this is the first time companies have to disclose their polices and I loath reviewing them because no one wants to over disclose their policies right now and everyone wants to benchmark against everyone else. Painful.
Back in the day I almost forked my path into networking but I'm so glad I didn't.

Too much stress for me, I can't handle stress very well
Old 02-19-24 | 06:07 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I went to my local showroom yesterday to see if they had a CT (they didn't unfortunately) and they had some small signs up at the counter showing the lease prices of the 3 and Y. I believe the 3 was $329/month and Y was $379/month. I think the base price is somewhere in the $40k range. That's really unbelievable pricing - for most drivers doing urban commutes each day, an EV in that price range provides an unbeatable value and a drastically improved driving and ownership experience over any ICE car of similar price. The showroom is small (it's in a mall) but it has 2 cars in it and there were probably 20 people looking at cars and waiting to ask questions.

I didn't even think to pay attention to the new model 3 - will have to go back and look closer at it. I was in and out quickly because I was just asking if the CT was available in any other showrooms nearby.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (02-19-24), LeX2K (02-19-24)
Old 02-19-24 | 02:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Love seeing this

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-19-24)
Old 02-19-24 | 03:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla auto wipers are about to get an update to fix their subpar performance

Tesla’s auto wipers are about to get an update to fix their subpar performance after owners have been complaining about the effectiveness of the feature for some time.

Tesla has included the auto wipers feature on its vehicles, and it aims to eliminate the manual control of windshield wipers by using cameras to determine what wiper speed will remove rain from the windshield at a proper rate.

However, they have been less-than-effective for some time, and it is one of the features that owners complain about the most.

Tesla is set to roll out a new update to the auto wipers that will increase their effectiveness, according to Yun-Ta Tsai, a Senior AI Engineer at Tesla, said.

This is far from the first time Tesla owners have complained about the auto wipers. Last year, one owner called the function “stupid and annoying” after the auto wipers activated while the vehicle was operating on Autopilot. There was no precipitation falling from the sky, and it was rather sunny outside.

However, the auto wipers could not be turned off.

CEO Elon Musk said that auto wipers were “one of the last neural nets to be updated to surround video.”

Auto wipers are easily one of the most complained-about features in Tesla’s vehicles, and improvements appear to be on the way to fix their subpar performance.

It is not guaranteed that this update will solve all of the problems that come with the auto wipers, however. In 2018, Musk said that the auto wipers would be fixed with a soon-to-be-released update, but this obviously did not remedy the issues that drivers had with the functionality.

Interestingly, Tesla has managed to improve some of the most complex features in its vehicles. Full Self-Driving has come a long way in the past few years, but it is still a far way off from allowing for fully autonomous travel. However, the auto wipers feature has stumped the company, and it has been a pain point for several years, evident from the promise Musk made in early 2018.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-auto...r-performance/
Mike728 (02-19-24)
Old 02-19-24 | 03:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

lol sure they will.
Old 02-19-24 | 03:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
lol sure they will.
They semi fixed it, than broke it. Anyway, manually setting the wiper speed works. They say 20 times is a charm 🤣
Old 02-19-24 | 03:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
They semi fixed it, than broke it. Anyway, manually setting the wiper speed works. They say 20 times is a charm 🤣
Yep good enough for me.

But damn Tesla you have a computer driving the entire car and still can't figure out rain?
Old 02-19-24 | 04:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yep good enough for me.

But damn Tesla you have a computer driving the entire car and still can't figure out rain?
It's not that simple. I have a lot of friends who work for companies who develop AI, and I was having this discussion with one of them last night, and the issue is that the AI has to interpret the images, and not only determine that it's raining, but how hard. It has to be able to differentiate between a dirty glass or lense, dust, and it has to do this in different light conditions. What Tesla should have done is just put an infrared moisture sensor behind the rearview mirror. My 2010 IS350 had rain sensing wipers which worked 99.9 percent of the time
Old 02-19-24 | 05:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As I'm writing this, my Model Y is installing 2024.2.3, which is suppose to address the auto rain sensing wiper issue. Fingers are crossed!
Old 02-19-24 | 05:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I won't get that for a few days or longer updates for me always lag behind you privileged Californians.
Old 02-19-24 | 05:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I won't get that for a few days or longer updates for me always lag behind you privileged Californians.

JeffKeryk (02-19-24)
Old 02-19-24 | 05:43 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

As I'm writing this, my Model Y is installing 2024.2.3, which is suppose to address the auto rain sensing wiper issue. Fingers are crossed!
2024.2.3 only shows it adds a reminder to charge at home when low, and some security improvements. We've been on 2024.2.6 for about a week. It added cold weather charging tips and changes the estimated range algorithm. I see no mention of a wiper update with either.
Old 02-19-24 | 05:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
2024.2.3 only shows it adds a reminder to charge at home when low, and some security improvements. We've been on 2024.2.6 for about a week. It added cold weather charging tips and changes the estimated range algorithm. I see no mention of a wiper update with either.
Sorry, I just read an article (posted it earlier) from Teserati that they are about to release a wiper update. I guess they are still working on it
Old 02-19-24 | 05:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Auto wipers will be solved around the same time FSD is solved lol.
Old 02-20-24 | 05:31 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Tesla auto wipers are about to get an update to fix their subpar performance

Tesla’s auto wipers are about to get an update to fix their subpar performance after owners have been complaining about the effectiveness of the feature for some time.

Tesla has included the auto wipers feature on its vehicles, and it aims to eliminate the manual control of windshield wipers by using cameras to determine what wiper speed will remove rain from the windshield at a proper rate.

However, they have been less-than-effective for some time, and it is one of the features that owners complain about the most.

Tesla is set to roll out a new update to the auto wipers that will increase their effectiveness, according to Yun-Ta Tsai, a Senior AI Engineer at Tesla, said.

https://x.com/YunTaTsai1/status/1759...212620143?s=20

This is far from the first time Tesla owners have complained about the auto wipers. Last year, one owner called the function “stupid and annoying” after the auto wipers activated while the vehicle was operating on Autopilot. There was no precipitation falling from the sky, and it was rather sunny outside.

However, the auto wipers could not be turned off.

CEO Elon Musk said that auto wipers were “one of the last neural nets to be updated to surround video.”

Auto wipers are easily one of the most complained-about features in Tesla’s vehicles, and improvements appear to be on the way to fix their subpar performance.

It is not guaranteed that this update will solve all of the problems that come with the auto wipers, however. In 2018, Musk said that the auto wipers would be fixed with a soon-to-be-released update, but this obviously did not remedy the issues that drivers had with the functionality.

Interestingly, Tesla has managed to improve some of the most complex features in its vehicles. Full Self-Driving has come a long way in the past few years, but it is still a far way off from allowing for fully autonomous travel. However, the auto wipers feature has stumped the company, and it has been a pain point for several years, evident from the promise Musk made in early 2018.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-auto...r-performance/
If they can't solve auto wipers I am not sure why people have so much confidence of them solving full FSD. Imagine asking me to figure out 10+5 and I am unable to but you believe I can do integration and differentiation lol.
LexTess (02-20-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread