EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 06:07 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Aegean
Why used Tesla Model 3 prices are crashing this month? I know the new model 3 just came out but 8% used car price drop in a single month is a huge loss. For example, in a $30,000 used Model 3 the depreciation cost was $2,400.00 just this month. It appears that anyone that leased is now way ahead than those that bought.
I would think it's because:

1. Demand is slowing for EVs
2. Hertz dumped 20,000 Teslas into the used car market as it weans itself from EVs
3. Tesla keeps lowering prices in order to try to keep its number of sales up. If new car prices go down, used car prices have to keep up with the change
The following users liked this post:
LexTess (02-23-24)
Old 02-23-24, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Because they just did a price cut on the Model Y, their best selling vehicle. I hope they keep dropping, next year I plan to replace my Polestar 2 with a used Model 3P
why would a model Y price cut lower model 3 resale prices?

seems obvious to me that highland has crushed resale value of used 3's.
Old 02-24-24, 12:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Tesla Optimus improvements

Old 02-25-24, 07:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Want

The following 3 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (02-25-24), Hameed (02-26-24), Mike728 (02-25-24)
Old 02-25-24, 07:20 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

LOL. That thing walks like it needs to poop really bad but doesn't want to run to the bathroom.
AMIRZA786 (02-25-24)
Old 02-26-24, 01:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla exec takes note of Supercharger improvements from customer

A Tesla executive noted Supercharger improvements suggested by a Tesla owner, revealing how much the company welcomes constructive criticism from its customers.

The Vice President of Tesla’s Investor Relations took the time to read some of Tesla owner DrKnowItAll’s suggestions to improve the Supercharger Network. He also gave DrKnowItAll’s list of suggestions to the Supercharger team.

The Tesla owner made three simple suggestions that he believes would make his Supercharger experience better. The first two suggestions related to his preferences and customization options regarding the Tesla battery pack.

of all, I would really like to be able to specify how much tolerance I have for how low the battery will get before my next supercharger stop. It seems to default to 10%, but I am comfortable going to 5%. I would like to be able to always prefer 250 kW chargers rather than 150 kW chargers,” noted DrKnowItAll.

His last suggestion related to the UI and how it counted down the minutes left when Supercharging. The Tesla owner preferred to see the actual clock time to better estimate when to return to his vehicle. Martin Viecha specifically liked DrKnowItAll’s last suggestion.

As an essential component of owning an electric vehicle, the Supercharger team is always open to listening to and implementing customer suggestions for Tesla’s charging network. Earlier this year, the team stated that “minor things matter” to a few small issues a Tesla owner pointed out about Supercharger V4 stalls.

The Tesla Supercharging team has been working nonstop to expand the charging network and implement improvements to maintain and increase customer satisfaction. Soon, the Supercharging team will also cater to more non-Tesla EVs in the United States as more North American car manufacturers adopt Tesla NACS.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supe...ustomer-notes/
Old 02-26-24, 05:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I think the biggest issue they'll have to address, at least based on the chargers I've seen, is towing. Now that Tesla has a truck on the market, you're going to have more need for pull-through charging stations where a truck with trailer can pull through and not block other vehicles.

AMIRZA786 (02-26-24)
Old 02-26-24, 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I think the biggest issue they'll have to address, at least based on the chargers I've seen, is towing. Now that Tesla has a truck on the market, you're going to have more need for pull-through charging stations where a truck with trailer can pull through and not block other vehicles.
awaiting the first fist fight at a charger on youtube.
Old 02-27-24, 09:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
awaiting the first fist fight at a charger on youtube.
Tesla drivers pretty much know the etiquettes when it comes to charging, I think those will be rare, but if you find them they will be in SoCal for sure. As you know I've travelled to SoCal several times, and the Tesla chargers near my brothers house (Eastvale, CA) are quite busy, yet people are very orderly, charge to what they need and leave. The EA chargers on the other hand near his house in Ontario Mills you have people queued up. There are 8 chargers, but every time I've been there at least one or two are offline or not working properly. People will actually get out of their cars and check the screen to see how much you've charged to and how much longer. You can almost feel the tension, and I can easily see a situation arising if someone keeps charging after 80 percent
Old 02-27-24, 09:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla Model Y secures 2024 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ award despite tougher metrics

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has raised the bar for its 2024 top safety awards, requiring improved protection for rear-seat passengers and pedestrian safety features for 2024 models. Despite the agency’s stricter criteria, 71 vehicles earned either the TOP SAFETY PICK or TOP SAFETY PICK+ awards for 2024.

Of the 71 vehicles that were selected, 22 managed to qualify for the IIHS’ highest safety designation, TOP SAFETY PICK+. One of these was the Tesla Model Y crossover. Another battery electric vehicle that received a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating in IIHS’ 2024 list was the Hyundai Ioniq 6 sedan.

The Rivian R1S SUV and Rivian R1T pickup truck also received awards, though both vehicles only qualified for the IIHS’ TOP SAFETY PICK list. Other EVs like the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Subaru Solterra, and Nissan Ariya, also garnered a TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the safety agency.

In a press release, IIHS President David Harkey noted that the safety agency is determined to push automakers to raise the bar in vehicle safety. “We continue to raise the bar for vehicle safety with another significant update to our award criteria. This year’s winners represent the pinnacle of automotive safety, demonstrating exceptional protection for both occupants and vulnerable road users,” he said.

Among the changes that were rolled out in the IIHS’ safety evaluations is a tougher side crash test, which now uses a heavier barrier traveling at a higher rate of speed. As per the IIHS in a post on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, its 4,200-pound deformable barrier is now closer to the weight of a conventional SUV today.

Vehicles that qualify for the organization’s safety awards are now also required to earn an “Acceptable” or “Good” rating in a revised version of the pedestrian front crash prevention test. The IIHS has also updated its moderate front overlap test with a second dummy seated behind the driver to evaluate back seat safety.

The IIHS describes its tougher metrics for 2024 in the video below.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...ty-pick-award/
Old 02-27-24, 10:08 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Apparently this is fake news...
Old 02-27-24, 11:09 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Apparently this is fake news...
Explain...
Old 02-27-24, 01:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The EA chargers on the other hand near his house in Ontario Mills you have people queued up. There are 8 chargers, but every time I've been there at least one or two are offline or not working properly. People will actually get out of their cars and check the screen to see how much you've charged to and how much longer. You can almost feel the tension, and I can easily see a situation arising if someone keeps charging after 80 percent
with so many people on free charging, they can't go over 80% anyway.
Old 02-27-24, 02:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with so many people on free charging, they can't go over 80% anyway.
With my EA plan, it's 30 minutes free, and you can go over 80 percent, but if there's a queue, it's probably not wise to. To get around the 30 minutes and not get charged, you just unplug and restart the session again
Old 02-27-24, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

With my EA plan, it's 30 minutes free, and you can go over 80 percent, but if there's a queue, it's probably not wise to. To get around the 30 minutes and not get charged, you just unplug and restart the session again
so when i first did the dc EA charging, it charged to 80%. next time i figured oh maybe the bluelink app has limited charging to 80% and i changed it to 90 (i'm pretty sure i did anyway) but it charged to 80% again so i figured EA was limiting it.

anyway, 80 is not mentioned in details so i'm sure you're right. apparently you can't get around 30 min limit as you stated because they require a 60 minute gap between sessions.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/202...an-disclosure/

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread