EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 07:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
What happened to the Tesla Semi....it was being shilled here extensively, now silence....
All of the semi "marketing" is done through the media, like pretty much everything Tesla. It's still very early on, and I believe PepsiCo is their only customer during this phase. LINK

Old 02-29-24, 07:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 366 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Semi is still on. My nephew just got hired by Tesla on the Semi structural engineering team in Fremont. He starts March 18th
It's still an early phase product, so these commercial companies are (rightfully so) having to test these out to see if/how they fit into aspects of their strategy. Testing range, hauling capabilities on various routes, driver comfort + safety, real world mileage, real world charging times, etc. The video I posted mentioned Pepsi is testing them on "regional routes" which makes sense. They are likely determining the routes that would minimize charging times to maximize efficiency of the drivers. I would *assume they are also doing routes that allow the charging to occur when they switch drivers after an 8 hour shift - so the truck is brought back to Pepsi location to use the charger.

It'll take time before you start seeing these in massive quantities, but people shouldn't mistake that for it not being real.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 08:12 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Semi is still on. My nephew just got hired by Tesla on the Semi structural engineering team in Fremont. He starts March 18th
Now you will have insider information....I hope lol. But probably won't be able to share with us.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Tesla semi feedback from Pepsi, this is 1 month old. It's a video, no article available. https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...td-gr-orig.cnn

TLDR: Pepsi is actively testing 21 Tesla semi's at Sacramento location. Director of Fleet services is interviewed and mentions 500 miles of range on single charge, seeing 2 drivers using same truck get 1,076 miles on the truck in a day. Pepsi has 750 kW charging stations installed. Driver interviewed likes center driving position for visibility, says truck is significantly more quiet than traditional truck.
The point is, Musk said Semi ramp will be 2024 and expects 50,000 to be built. Who wants to wager 50,000 won't be built by 2026?

Originally Posted by Mike728
All of the semi "marketing" is done through the media, like pretty much everything Tesla. It's still very early on, and I believe PepsiCo is their only customer during this phase. LINK
The have other companies with preorders. Its not very early on, Semi was announced in 2017, Musk said production in 2019 (so no pandemic excuses). Released end of 2022. One of my point of my previous post was him over promising to pump the stock and under delivering. Supporters of Tesla will often say "that's Elon and we know by now not to follow his timeline"...famously called Elon time. Instead of criticized it should be accepted because that is just how he is. I am not saying the product isn't good, but you would think he would learn by now but still insist on making ridiculous deadlines / expectations. Now we will be getting a car that goes 0-60 in 1 second....a car that was supposed to be released 4 years ago.

It's still an early phase product, so these commercial companies are (rightfully so) having to test these out to see if/how they fit into aspects of their strategy. Testing range, hauling capabilities on various routes, driver comfort + safety, real world mileage, real world charging times, etc. The video I posted mentioned Pepsi is testing them on "regional routes" which makes sense. They are likely determining the routes that would minimize charging times to maximize efficiency of the drivers. I would *assume they are also doing routes that allow the charging to occur when they switch drivers after an 8 hour shift - so the truck is brought back to Pepsi location to use the charger.

It'll take time before you start seeing these in massive quantities, but people shouldn't mistake that for it not being real.
See above.

Starting March 1st, 2024 all my post on Tesla will be positive.....deadline might be pushed back until 2028 though .
Old 02-29-24, 08:28 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Now you will have insider information....I hope lol. But probably won't be able to share with us.

The point is, Musk said Semi ramp will be 2024 and expects 50,000 to be built. Who wants to wager 50,000 won't be built by 2026?

The have other companies with preorders. Its not very early on, Semi was announced in 2017, Musk said production in 2019 (so no pandemic excuses). Released end of 2022. One of my point of my previous post was him over promising to pump the stock and under delivering. Supporters of Tesla will often say "that's Elon and we know by now not to follow his timeline"...famously called Elon time. Instead of criticized it should be accepted because that is just how he is. I am not saying the product isn't good, but you would think he would learn by now but still insist on making ridiculous deadlines / expectations. Now we will be getting a car that goes 0-60 in 1 second....a car that was supposed to be released 4 years ago.

See above.

Starting March 1st, 2024 all my post on Tesla will be positive.....deadline might be pushed back until 2028 though .
Disagree - it is very early on for the semi. Pepsi wasn't even announced as a company to buy these for testing until 2022. I don't think they got them until 2023. This is a major change in how a company does business in delivering goods - the companies have to figure out if it works for them. I also believe that just because something is announced in 2017 doesn't make the product 6 years old. I view it as when it hits the market as to how "new" something is. Steve Jobs worked on the first iterations of an Apple AR/VR headset. Does that make the Vision Pro 12 years old?
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (02-29-24), LeX2K (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 08:41 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

One of my point of my previous post was him over promising to pump the stock.
At this point, I don't think anything he says is taken seriously. Maybe it was early on, but his more recent track record makes the case that he shouldn't be making any promises.

Where I work, there are similar type comments to his being made. They're called "stretch goals" but are kept completely internal, where they belong.
Old 02-29-24, 08:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

See above.

Elon Musk says stuff publicly that he probably shouldn't. That said, it garners excitement and free media attention. It doesn't really bother me the same as way when Chairman Akio Toyoda would talk about 700 mile range/10 minute charging SSB's, then in the next sentence say nobody really wants EV's. I wait for the product to come out in the real world before I get excited. Also, I'll never own a Roadster, nor a Semi, so I'm not really bothered by over promises

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-29-24 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-29-24, 10:21 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Disagree - it is very early on for the semi. Pepsi wasn't even announced as a company to buy these for testing until 2022. I don't think they got them until 2023. This is a major change in how a company does business in delivering goods - the companies have to figure out if it works for them. I also believe that just because something is announced in 2017 doesn't make the product 6 years old. I view it as when it hits the market as to how "new" something is. Steve Jobs worked on the first iterations of an Apple AR/VR headset. Does that make the Vision Pro 12 years old?
Again my whole point revolves around him over promising. In 2016 he said 2019 for the first semis to sent to customers. The stage they are at now they should have been in 2020.

How can you be the CEO of a company and be so off on when your product will be ready? I see members here say how much of a genius Musk is, maybe the greatest of them all, yet he can't make reasonable timelines.
Old 02-29-24, 10:36 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

I think you’re all vastly underestimating all the important things Musk has to do.

Those white hot memes absolutely don’t post themselves, and it takes way more time that mere mortals like us can appreciate to pretend to be someone else when commenting on your own posts and calling in to conspiracy podcasts as your alter ego…

Adrian Dittman truly is the modern-day John Barron!
Hameed (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 10:48 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Again my whole point revolves around him over promising. In 2016 he said 2019 for the first semis to sent to customers. The stage they are at now they should have been in 2020.

How can you be the CEO of a company and be so off on when your product will be ready? I see members here say how much of a genius Musk is, maybe the greatest of them all, yet he can't make reasonable timelines.
I definitely don't disagree with you that Musk has over promised many times. But to me that doesn't tie in to the fact that the semi truck is a real product that has been delivered, nor does it tie in to the maturity of semi truck for example. Musk over promised, semi is/was delayed, but it's still early on for it given the timing of when it was officially released.
Old 02-29-24, 10:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I think you’re all vastly underestimating all the important things Musk has to do.

Those white hot memes absolutely don’t post themselves, and it takes way more time that mere mortals like us can appreciate to pretend to be someone else when commenting on your own posts and calling in to conspiracy podcasts as your alter ego…

Adrian Dittman truly is the modern-day John Barron!
I stay off of social media, unless CL is considered social media...is it? The only Elon news and posts I ever see are reposted here on CL . Otherwise I would be totally in the dark, which is probably for the best. Example: I had no idea who Adrian Dittman is until doing a quick Google
swajames (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 11:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Lol, this has to be a joke......

Old 02-29-24, 11:08 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Ridiculous!
Spoiler

Originally Posted by Mike728
Where I work, there are similar type comments to his being made. They're called "stretch goals" but are kept completely internal, where they belong.
Everything I set out to do when exploring the unknown in my work always takes at least twice as long as I thought it would.

Very humbling on a daily basis. Lol

see members here say how much of a genius Musk is...
He is but he's not doing it alone.
​​​
​I'm guessing he has a team he trusts.

I stay off of social media, unless CL is considered social media...is it? The only Elon news and posts I ever see are reposted here on CL . Otherwise I would be totally in the dark, which is probably for the best. Example: I had no idea who Adrian Dittman is until doing a quick Google
I follow musk on X so I see all the new stuff now.
Old 02-29-24, 11:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
He is but he's not doing it alone.
​​​
​I'm guessing he has a team he trusts.
There are brilliant people working for Tesla, for example the Tesla Plaid motors had nothing to do with Elon. Musk frequently thanks "the Tesla team" when he talks about products but hardly anyone notices. Of course Elon gets blamed when things are late in reality the entire company is to "blame" just as they are all responsible for successes. I'd much rather products be late and excellent than be early and suck.

Not sure how anyone things the Tesla Semi is not real there are between 30-100 driving around. From 1 year ago

Old 02-29-24, 01:26 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

I definitely don't disagree with you that Musk has over promised many times. But to me that doesn't tie in to the fact that the semi truck is a real product that has been delivered, nor does it tie in to the maturity of semi truck for example. Musk over promised, semi is/was delayed, but it's still early on for it given the timing of when it was officially released.
Still unsure why you keep mentioning the Semi is a real product. I did not deny that fact. If I did please state where. I must be an idiot to think it isn't when it actually exist and a customer owns a bunch of them.

​​​​​​Again, Tesla semi was suppose to be taking over the industry 4 years ago. All other truck builders will be left behind. 50k suppose to be built this year. It was hyped for years by Elon and fans of Tesla. The genius could not give a realistic timeline and is off by years and counting.
Old 02-29-24, 01:30 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Elon Musk says stuff publicly that he probably shouldn't. That said, it garners excitement and free media attention. It doesn't really bother me the same as way when Chairman Akio Toyoda would talk about 700 mile range/10 minute charging SSB's, then in the next sentence say nobody really wants EV's. I wait for the product to come out in the real world before I get excited. Also, I'll never own a Roadster, nor a Semi, so I'm not really bothered by over promises
I remember Toyota was suppose to release a ssb vehicle that was suppose to demo at the 2020 Olympics I believe. It's now 2024 and we can't see that vehicle. Being off by months or a year sure, things happen. But being off by 3,4,5 years? Like either the CEO don't have a clue what's going on with that particular product or they are not the genius as people want others to believe or they are being intentionally deceptive.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread