EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 07:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Most successful businesspeople are ruthless, Elon Musk is pretty darn ruthless too, but you love him...if they weren't ruthless they would not be successful.
100% you don't get to make a giant omelette without breaking a lotta eggs.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 08:44 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Most successful businesspeople are ruthless, Elon Musk is pretty darn ruthless too, but you love him...if they weren't ruthless they would not be successful.
In Silicon Valley, so many C-Level execs are divorced and remarried with trophy wives; oftentimes much younger...
Old 03-07-24, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Oh no doubt
Old 03-07-24, 08:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Go back a few versions, Windows was trash. At one time I was running the beta of Windows 2000 because I couldn't take the blue screens anymore. Windows NT saved Microsoft.

I keep buying the dip and rarely selling during euphoria what's wrong with me. I keep saying it I have so much regret for not being able to see the future think I have a problem. I feel that way because on some level I know for example buying Nvidia stock. But I was too chicken to go all in.

Fun fact: in 2013 I was bitcoin mining back then it was an utter disaster. So much fraud and trying to connect to a node was iffy at best. I gave up after 5 coins and change I could have been insanely wealthy if I had just kept going. I think it took almost 2 years to mine 5 coin, a bunch of CPU cycles were wasted due to connection issues and other nonsense.
I ran Windows NT Workstation when everyone else was running Win 95/98. No plug and play, not a lot of driver support for high end video cards and other hardware, didn't support plug-ins like Flash and was not backwards compatible with 16 bit applications, but it was solid and I learned a lot getting PC games to run on it.

Back around the 2015-2016 era some of us started a company around mining Bitcoin. Electricity wasn't a problem because my friend lived at a co-op in SF with free electricity that was specifically setup for startups. The issue was hardware, we ordered equipment from a company called Butterfly Labs, but they never delivered and ended up going out of business. We did a bunch of calculations, and it turned out that we would just end up breaking even, so partners began pulling out. Good God, we would all be rich today had we just stuck to it....

I was going to execute on Nvidia a couple of weeks back when it was around $588, but decided not too. Now it's $917 . Life's just not freaking fair. But, I have a boatload of TSLA, and for the most part I've made money, I know if I sit on it everything will be fine. Or I'll sell it when it hits $300, then it will hit $500, which will just be my luck

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-07-24 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-07-24, 10:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

It is boloni that you have to be ruthless. Pushing extraordinary vision might be hard and demanding, building something that nobody did before.

But overall, if you look at lists such as top 100 companies to work for, they are full of huge companies who treat their employees well, usually owned by a billionaire.

Even for Musk or Steve Jobs, there are many people who love building something new and are willing to work 16hrs a day to do it. Anyone who ever worked in a startup will tell you that.
Old 03-07-24, 10:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Back around the 2015-2016 era some of us started a company around mining Bitcoin. Electricity wasn't a problem because my friend lived at a co-op in SF with free electricity that was specifically setup for startups. The issue was hardware, we ordered equipment from a company called Butterfly Labs, but they never delivered and ended up going out of business. We did a bunch of calculations, and it turned out that we would just end up breaking even, so partners began pulling out. Good God, we would all be rich today had we just stuck to it....
Back then I was doing power calculations thinking about potential profits lol. I know a guy that sold when BTC hit $300 or something like that he was so happy to pay for the electricity he burned. Good lord lol. I ran a stock AMD card that thing took a massive beating it never died. I still have it.
I was going to execute on Nvidia a couple of weeks back when it was around $588, but decided not too. Now it's $917 .
Why can't you see the future? Get it together.
Life's just not freaking fair. But, I have a boatload of TSLA, and for the most part I've made money, I know if I sit on it everything will be fine. Or I'll sell it when it hits $300, then it will hit $500, which will just be my luck
You either believe in Tesla or you don't. If not, sell when you're at least par.
Old 03-07-24, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is boloni that you have to be ruthless. Pushing extraordinary vision might be hard and demanding, building something that nobody did before.

But overall, if you look at lists such as top 100 companies to work for, they are full of huge companies who treat their employees well, usually owned by a billionaire.

Even for Musk or Steve Jobs, there are many people who love building something new and are willing to work 16hrs a day to do it. Anyone who ever worked in a startup will tell you that.
We’re not talking about companies, we’re talking about businesspeople. A company can be a great company to work for and treat their employees well and be founded by a successful person who is ruthless.

Some component of ruthlessness is required for success in business.
Old 03-07-24, 10:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Back then I was doing power calculations thinking about potential profits lol. I know a guy that sold when BTC hit $300 or something like that he was so happy to pay for the electricity he burned. Good lord lol. I ran a stock AMD card that thing took a massive beating it never died. I still have it.

Why can't you see the future? Get it together.

You either believe in Tesla or you don't. If not, sell when you're at least par.
Well, I must believe in TSLA as I've only sold once since 2021, and it was to payoff my Model Y
JeffKeryk (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 11:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Well, I must believe in TSLA as I've only sold once since 2021, and it was to payoff my Model Y
Except you said your sell price is $300.

It is a gut punch watching basically every other tech stock go to the moon and TSLA drift into the ditch.
Old 03-07-24, 11:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Except you said your sell price is $300.

It is a gut punch watching basically every other tech stock go to the moon and TSLA drift into the ditch.
I can set all the sell price numbers I want, the question is, will I sell? So far set numbers have come and past...and I haven't sold yet. If I sell I either have to reinvest it somewhere else or it's because I have a big purchase
Old 03-07-24, 02:20 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

I ran Windows NT Workstation when everyone else was running Win 95/98. No plug and play, not a lot of driver support for high end video cards and other hardware, didn't support plug-ins like Flash and was not backwards compatible with 16 bit applications, but it was solid and I learned a lot getting PC games to run on it.

I was going to execute on Nvidia a couple of weeks back when it was around $588, but decided not too. Now it's $917 . Life's just not freaking fair. But, I have a boatload of TSLA, and for the most part I've made money, I know if I sit on it everything will be fine. Or I'll sell it when it hits $300, then it will hit $500, which will just be my luck
I should've kept all that NVDA I bought on margin a few weeks back

I did sell a bunch when it first breached $300 to clear margin on my wife's request. I shouldn't listen to my wife
AMIRZA786 (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 02:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My brother in law just got back from test driving the Model X...and it's a hard NO. There are several reasons, but here are the two main ones

• Removal of stalks
  • Falcon wing doors

First on removal of stalks. He had a hard time using the turn signals, and secondly it began to rain. He hit the windshield wiper button, and his only choice was Auto. He could not figure out how to manually adjust the speed. Not a good start.

On the Falcon wing doors, he said that first of all they are cool, but impractical. They open too slowly, are extremely heavy, and they block the side pillars because of the extra support they need. He also mentioned that his wife would never drive it.

Overall he thought it was a cool car and an attention getter, but it took him way too much time to figure it out, it doesn't deliver value for its price like the Model Y, and removal of the stalks was "the stupidest move ever". He has an appointment to test drive a Kia EV9

The sad part, I'm not getting my Tesla referral points 😢
Mike728 (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 02:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I know continuing off topic but yea, I was buying NVDA end of 2022 around 150. Still have ALL of my shares. I want $1000, then I'm shaving. My only regret is that I didn't YOLO it all into NVDA. I put waaayy more into the semiconductor ETF, SMH during that time as I didn't want all that risk in one company. Played it safe, but I'm not mad at SMH's return over this time period either.
The following 2 users liked this post by GFerg:
AMIRZA786 (03-07-24), bitkahuna (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 03:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

that's because they're not really considered a tech company. i know, i know...

they can't make sell roof tiles.
they can't make sell semis.
they can't make sell many powerwalls.
their "full self driving" isn't.
their products are mostly for consumers, not business.
they're really the model 3/y company.
and they may become the cybertruck company too at some point, but that's probably a couple of years away.
that's just a reality check. nothing wrong with it, but it's hard to sustain giant p/e valuations.
they will need to have a bumper cybertruck quarter maybe, or a real fsd breakthrough to stair step again.
i do believe they will climb again at some point though. i didn't sell...

stocks like arm and nvidia are just positioned so well to meet the moment, with less capital needs, pretty much insatiable demand, in demand BY the big tech companies in a race, etc.
glad i have both of those too and the big techs for 'diversification'.
Old 03-07-24, 08:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

My brother in law just got back from test driving the Model X...and it's a hard NO. There are several reasons, but here are the two main ones
  • Removal of stalks
  • Falcon wing doors

First on removal of stalks. He had a hard time using the turn signals, and secondly it began to rain. He hit the windshield wiper button, and his only choice was Auto. He could not figure out how to manually adjust the speed. Not a good start.

On the Falcon wing doors, he said that first of all they are cool, but impractical. They open too slowly, are extremely heavy, and they block the side pillars because of the extra support they need. He also mentioned that his wife would never drive it.

Overall he thought it was a cool car and an attention getter, but it took him way too much time to figure it out, it doesn't deliver value for its price like the Model Y, and removal of the stalks was "the stupidest move ever". He has an appointment to test drive a Kia EV9

The sad part, I'm not getting my Tesla referral points 😢
Like anything, you have to get used to having no stalks. All the gripes are just not getting used to it because it’s only a test drive. You know I don’t like the buttons for turn signals and I still make embarrassing blunders more the two years in with them but I wouldn’t say it is hard to use them, just not ideal/dumb. As for the windshield wipers, he just didn’t know how to use them, there are several different modes besides auto. The rear doors I do agree with him on.
AMIRZA786 (03-07-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread