EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 03:03 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Another reason is used EV prices have plummeted so much lately. My buddy just took a trade in for a 2023 Y performance 2k miles with FSD for $4,1000. Those not qualify for the $7,500 tax rebate find it a better deal to get used EV. I just check my trade in value, Tesla is offering me $37,xxx for my one Y performance with 11k on the odo.
Tesla's offer is a joke but it's fairly reasonable on your case and your friend's. One not qualifying for the rebate can not change the real value of the car.
Old 04-02-24, 03:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’m the same way, I hate most social media except a few forums I frequent based on cars I own or have owned to learn about them or prospective cars I’m considering. Seems most social media is about “look how great I am” or just a bunch of do gooder virtue signaling, no thanks.
while there's way too much "look how great i am" content i tend to focus on pages/accounts that make me laugh or educate me and there's tons of good ones.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Wonder if there was any insider trading and short selling.
is the pope catholic?

We will know for sure if they come out with new & better incentives or something that gives the stock a push upwards.
They love to makes stocks go up and down. Lol
i think the renaming of full self driving software from 'beta' to 'supervised' was meant to show they're closer and to soften the bad news of lower sales. i don't think it worked, but who knows.

and despite politicians having pushed for 'green' policies to promote and give incentives for ev sales, they can also completely be bought by fossil fuel interests making big campaign donations and just like that they quickly backpedal from previous policies stated as critical to avoid an 'existential threats'.

and since people can't do math and have been 'scared' by media about ev range and charging, they'll keep paying out the *** for gas vehicles and phev's with giant margins for makers.

the breakthrough will come one day when the value prop, convenience, and features undeniable - better batteries, more charging infrastructure, and lower prices than ice/hev/phevs.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's why when my Polestar's lease is up in Jan I'm going to pick up a used Model 3 Performance
won't want a highland version?
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 03:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while there's way too much "look how great i am" content i tend to focus on pages/accounts that make me laugh or educate me and there's tons of good ones.

is the pope catholic?

i think the renaming of full self driving software from 'beta' to 'supervised' was meant to show they're closer and to soften the bad news of lower sales. i don't think it worked, but who knows.

and despite politicians having pushed for 'green' policies to promote and give incentives for ev sales, they can also completely be bought by fossil fuel interests making big campaign donations and just like that they quickly backpedal from previous policies stated as critical to avoid an 'existential threats'.

and since people can't do math and have been 'scared' by media about ev range and charging, they'll keep paying out the *** for gas vehicles and phev's with giant margins for makers.

the breakthrough will come one day when the value prop, convenience, and features undeniable - better batteries, more charging infrastructure, and lower prices than ice/hev/phevs.

won't want a highland version?
I do, but I don't want to spend new car money. My son currently drives the Polestar, and I don't want to get a new car for him. BTW, might not be a Performance, I'll also be looking at a used Long Range
Old 04-02-24, 03:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Gjeebs reviews FSD

LeX2K (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 09:08 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Just watched it, I’m impressed. When I last tried it a few times with a loaner it was actually dangerous to use where I was going. It was like a teenager learning to drive for the first time. I just got back in town and need to see if I have FSD on my S.
AMIRZA786 (04-02-24)
Old 04-04-24, 06:37 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Tesla's ability to create a great user experience is unmatched in car industry (my experience and opinion of course).

Got a warning message in my MYP Monday saying the 12V battery was low. Open the Tesla app, click the "Service" icon. There's a blue dot next to that indicating some type of alert. Instead of having to search for "battery replacement" the blue dot alerts me to the battery issue and says "is this why you're scheduling service?" Yes. Takes me to a calendar to schedule. Schedule it for Wednesday. Guy shows up, finishes in 20 minutes. No payment necessary (covered under warranty) but if there was payment needed it just flows through the card I have saved in the app.

Seamless transaction. Love it.
The following 3 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (04-04-24), LeX2K (04-04-24), Mike728 (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 06:45 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Tesla's ability to create a great user experience is unmatched in car industry (my experience and opinion of course).

Got a warning message in my MYP Monday saying the 12V battery was low. Open the Tesla app, click the "Service" icon. There's a blue dot next to that indicating some type of alert. Instead of having to search for "battery replacement" the blue dot alerts me to the battery issue and says "is this why you're scheduling service?" Yes. Takes me to a calendar to schedule. Schedule it for Wednesday. Guy shows up, finishes in 20 minutes. No payment necessary (covered under warranty) but if there was payment needed it just flows through the card I have saved in the app.

Tesla has definitely nailed the software experience in terms of the app.
Old 04-04-24, 07:21 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Tesla has definitely nailed the software experience in terms of the app.
Yep, the app is very well executed and obviously an extension of the car itself. I like software products where you can tell they've really thought through the user experience to minimize clicks and maximize use of information that may already be "known" by the system and think about how to present that to the user. Tesla really excels here.
Old 04-04-24, 07:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Servicing your vehicle with Tesla is a no brainer, at least where I live. Needed a tire rotation, just scheduled it in the app, a tech showed up to my work and did the job. The only thing issue was I have aftermarket Aero covers, he didn't want to touch them. They are not hard to remove, but you need to use a flathead to remove the center caps that hold them and use some force to pull them off, but they are tough, he said he didn't want to be held liable if they break. I had to convince him that if they break I won't hold him or Tesla liable...they are only $80 if I need to replace one. After some convincing, he agreed. I went back inside to work, he rotated the tires and when he was done, it showed up in the app, I didn't have to interact with him, he just left
JeffKeryk (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 10:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

The experience goes off the rails though when there is a more complex or serious issue. I know lots of people with Teslas, and several have had absolute nightmare experiences with service dealing with issues. One of which says as much as she loves her Model S she will go back to a legacy carmaker next time just because of the service experience.
Old 04-04-24, 10:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I'll take the word of verified owners over "I know lots of people with Teslas".
Old 04-04-24, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'll take the word of verified owners over "I know lots of people with Teslas".
He had a simple repair, not a complex repair and they came to his home. The people I know are "verified owners" of Teslas too. This is also well documented...quick Google brought this up:

My experiences have been horrible. Car is 2019 Model X.

Hole in tire turned into week long ordeal as almost zero shops near me both had the tire and had the proper lift for a Tesla. The earliest appointment was 1 week at a service center (not the closest).

Car went into limp mode and took it to the nearest service center. A bad HV battery heater was suspected and they estimated 3-5 hours to fix. I was sent home with an uber. 3-4 days later I got the car back. No loaner.

Then HV battery died a few months later. It was replaced under warranty but it only took them like 6 days and the performance is suspiciously similar to the battery that was replaced (I use an app that monitors battery health and not a single blip on any stats). When I got the car back, the falcon wing doors no longer detect obstacles when opening or closing (not an issue prior to this service). I put a service request for that and they want me to pay for replacement parts.

The car itself is great but service is embarrassing considering service for other cars in this price range.
The friend of mine who said although she loved the car she wouldn't get another one had a similar issue with a tire, she had a flat on the side of the road and the car was towed to a Tesla service center, it took 3 weeks to get it back with a replacement tire.
Old 04-04-24, 12:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He had a simple repair, not a complex repair and they came to his home. The people I know are "verified owners" of Teslas too. This is also well documented...quick Google brought this up:

The friend of mine who said although she loved the car she wouldn't get another one had a similar issue with a tire, she had a flat on the side of the road and the car was towed to a Tesla service center, it took 3 weeks to get it back with a replacement tire.
I can tell you, Tesla will give you a temporary tire the same day if they don't have a new one, they even paint it so you don't keep it. They will never keep your car in the shop for 3 weeks without giving you a loaner. They even give you a loaner if the repair takes a few hours. No way her car sat in the service center for 3 weeks without them giving her a loaner. They had my car in the service center for two hours to check for a rattle and they gave me a loaner
LeX2K (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That may be how it works out there, but my friend isn’t lying.

She had a loaner, that doesn’t excuse the 3 weeks.
Old 04-04-24, 02:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That may be how it works out there, but my friend isn’t lying.

She had a loaner, that doesn’t excuse the 3 weeks.
Well I certainly can't speak for service centers outside of California, but that is not how they do things here. That's not to say there are no people who've had bad experiences, @patgilm certainly had a few

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread