EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 03:51 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I saw one the other day, looks great
Drive one. The Model 3 has grown up.
Old 04-12-24, 06:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Honestly, the new model is pretty common here in Philly already. Surprised at how quick they have been hitting the streets. They do look so much better!
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 06:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Also FSD is now $99 per month!
AMIRZA786 (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Drive one. The Model 3 has grown up.
Sat in it tonight, I posted my thoughts in the Highland thread.
AMIRZA786 (04-12-24)
Old 04-13-24, 07:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Also FSD is now $99 per month!
Well that's a more compelling reason to get it but I still don't think I would pay for it. After trying it out a lot this past week I think it is a great parlor trick, I just don't think I would use it a lot. It still gets confused a lot and has almost taken me way off course. It also doesn't know sometimes the right lane to be in, like a turn only, until the very end and has to get over or a Michigan u-turn where the nav showed where it was supposed to go but it just didn't get in the correct lane for it. It also gets very close to the curb on right hand turns but no mishaps yet. It is still super impressive and significantly better than the old version I tested.

I know some people say it is much safer than humans driving it and the accident rates are much lower and I can see that if everyone on the road had it but the way it is now, you still have the human factor of the other drivers and if I just let it do it's thing the whole time it would **** most of the other drivers off because it still drives like someone learning how to drive and could cause accidents around it due to it doing the wrong thing at times.
Old 04-13-24, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd pay $99 a month because having some feature my car doesnt have bugs the **** out of me (I'm the guy who has all the channels on cable but never watches any of them)
Old 04-13-24, 09:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Does anyone else this Tesla's 8/8 ' announcement' on robotaxis will be a big nothing?

https://futurism.com/tesla-robotaxi-...ulator-permits

Remember how Musk announced that one million robotaxis will hit the road by 2020?

​​​​​​​
LexTess (04-13-24)
Old 04-13-24, 10:02 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Does anyone else this Tesla's 8/8 ' announcement' on robotaxis will be a big nothing
Yeah, it will likely be a big nothing. He announced it simply to redirect attention away from that Reuters article. The timing was pretty coincidental lol.

Originally Posted by patgilm
Well that's a more compelling reason to get it but I still don't think I would pay for it. After trying it out a lot this past week I think it is a great parlor trick, I just don't think I would use it a lot.
This is almost what Savage geese mentioned. In order to get truly autonomous and safe driving, you'll need networked cars.

To me, it's kinda like self parking. It's cool to watch when I have my car park by itself, but I have yet to actually use it for real. I told my wife it's cool, but a gimmick. I can park much faster than the software, and won't get bad looks and yells from other drivers. But at least self parking is unlikely to kill or maim people.

Toyota looks like it's also trying for it with allegedly this software below, but I'm thinking it'll also try to charge customers for it, AND it's another gimmick that is pretty useless for real autonomous driving. Another pass from me. I mean, if you have to touch the steering wheel at times, AND keep alert for it, what the hell is the point? Might as well drive the darn thing yourself (different than highway adaptive cruise control and traffic jam assist which are limited and safer).

Last edited by asj2024; 04-13-24 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-13-24, 01:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Does anyone else this Tesla's 8/8 ' announcement' on robotaxis will be a big nothing?
Your usual trolling and "I know better than Elon" aside, why do you think this?
Old 04-13-24, 01:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I fixed your post 😂
DaveGS4 (04-13-24)
Old 04-13-24, 04:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Not trolling, it's because as I posted, "dear Elon" already said a million Robo taxis would be on the road 4 years ago. Reality: zero.

did you read the article? Mentions Tesla has not applied for permits anywhere apparently.

and as you conveniently ignore, I consider Elon musk a genius. except when it comes to tact and staying out of most political and societal commentary.

Old 04-13-24, 04:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Not trolling, it's because as I posted, "dear Elon" already said a million Robo taxis would be on the road 4 years ago. Reality: zero.
Not for lack of trying. What value is there in saying over and over again FSD is late, Elon said this. Broken promise, space man bad. Why do you do this?
did you read the article? Mentions Tesla has not applied for permits anywhere apparently.
That's about the last thing Tesla needs to worry about.
and as you conveniently ignore, I consider Elon musk a genius. except when it comes to tact and staying out of most political and societal commentary.
You can use this disclaimer as many times as you like doesn't change the fact you have predicted failure of every single Tesla product. It's become very tiresome.
Old 04-13-24, 04:21 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

https://futurism.com/tesla-robotaxi-...ulator-permits
​​​​​​​
My guess is a prototype of the "Robotaxi" with no steering wheel, extra cameras...possible reintroduction of sensors, with an announcement that it will be on the road picking up passengers by 2026. We will be discussing it here how its now 2030 and the Robotaxi still doesn't exist, it will get bashed by some as vaporware and excuses made by others that we shouldn't have believe Elon in the first place and it will be here soon.
Hameed (04-13-24)
Old 04-14-24, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not for lack of trying. What value is there in saying over and over again FSD is late, Elon said this. Broken promise, space man bad. Why do you do this?
Why does this bother you so much? He's just a billionaire CEO, don't take what people say about him so personally. He doesn't even know who you are or care that you exist, don't frustrate yourself trying to defend him.

I promise you he doesn't care what people say about him, you should not care more than he does.
FrankReynoldsCPA (04-15-24)
Old 04-14-24, 09:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why does this bother you so much? He's just a billionaire CEO, don't take what people say about him so personally. He doesn't even know who you are or care that you exist, don't frustrate yourself trying to defend him.

I promise you he doesn't care what people say about him, you should not care more than he does.
I decide what I care about not you.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread