EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 10:16 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Bill Gates and his ilk was an actual programmer who founded MSFT and actually worked on his stuff and got his hand dirty (at least at first), and helped usher in personal computing. The world would be nowhere like it is today without that time period and those people in history. Such people tend to not just have tech acumen, but in his case, very good business acumen.
That's what a lot of people believe thanks to PR campaigns. Lol

He was a much more talented at grifting and using his connections than he ever was at programming. Lol
Old 04-20-24, 10:41 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
People who have such visceral hate for Tesla and EV'S should probably not post here, or anywhere in the EV subforum.
So I said I would love to have a stable Ocean, a BEV if there ever was one, so long as the conditions are right, and I hate BEVs?

As to Telsa, I think they're old in looks and were hyped, but they did participate in ushering BEVs mass adoption, and they are absolute tops in BEVs in terms of overall features...minuses for the strong dependence on screens and the spartan interior.

Musk I actually like that he likes Banks, but I would on the face of it not ascribe to him the entire rise of BEVs, which I think was inevitable. It was a combination of factors, a major one being the need to address climate change. He was lucky enough to ride the coming wave.

Old 04-20-24, 10:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Bill Gates and his ilk was an actual programmer who founded MSFT and actually worked on his stuff and got his hand dirty (at least at first), and helped usher in personal computing.
Here are the actual innovators
https://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/computers/
Bill Gates is about last of the list of ushering in or innovating anything.

Back on topic you can potentially get a Model Y for less than $30K (with gas savings, kinda slight of hand) and I bet this year sales will still drop.

Old 04-20-24, 11:03 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by Margate330
That's what a lot of people believe thanks to PR campaigns. Lol

He was a much more talented at grifting and using his connections than he ever was at programming. Lol
I'm not really a fan of Bill Gates (I'm a Java guy and Microsoft has always been a competitor), but I can't deny that he was very very smart programming wise based on people who have worked with him, and the history. He and Allen basically rewrote the BASIC interpreter during the 1970s, and he was allegedly tops when it came to theoretical CS.

I can at least acknowledge his technical intelligence without BS.

Saying that, he was also extremely good in business, cold and calculating.

Gates wrote his first software program at the age of 13.

In high school he helped form a group of programmers who computerized their school’s payroll system and founded Traf-O-Data, a company that sold traffic-counting systems to local governments.

In 1975 Gates, then a sophomore at Harvard University, joined his hometown friend Paul G. Allen to develop software for the first microcomputers. They began by adapting BASIC, a popular programming language used on large computers, for use on microcomputers.

With the success of this project, Gates left Harvard during his junior year and, with Allen, formed Microsoft.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Bill-Gates
Old 04-20-24, 11:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

So I said I would love to have a stable Ocean, a BEV if there ever was one, so long as the conditions are right, and I hate BEVs?

As to Telsa, I think they're old in looks and were hyped, but they did participate in ushering BEVs mass adoption, and they are absolute tops in BEVs in terms of overall features...minuses for the strong dependence on screens and the spartan interior.

Musk I actually like that he likes Banks, but I would on the face of it not ascribe to him the entire rise of BEVs, which I think was inevitable. It was a combination of factors, a major one being the need to address climate change. He was lucky enough to ride the coming wave.
You obviously do from most your posts, I'm not the only one to point this out. I could easily go through all your posts and just pull a few out, but I don't want to be petty. All I'm trying to do is save you the stress that BEV's seem to bring you.

Most people who post in the EV Chat sub forum are EV owners, some have been 5 years or more, so I would say that qualifies us in understanding the pros and cons of BEV ownership. This same group of people have owned ICE, hybrids and PHEV's, so we understand both worlds pretty well. You will just have to forgive us when we get a little irritated when our experiences are hijacked by non EV owners.

Other than that, I have no issues with you posting. Hopefully that is clear
Old 04-20-24, 11:11 AM
asj2024
Advanced

You will just have to forgive us when we get a little irritated when our experiences are hijacked by non EV owners.
I'll again respectfully point out for the umpteenth time that I AM an EV owner, so please don't keep saying I am not.

I own a PHEV, and have owned an HEV probably longer than many have owned EVs here. Both have electric traction batteries, both can go on electricity only, and both are classified as EVs in the general usage (if not here, where PHEV is one, but not HEVs)

The fact that I am not a rah rah rah, cis boom bah fan, but am skeptical at times does not make me a "basher".
Old 04-20-24, 11:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'll again respectfully point out for the umpteenth time that I AM an EV owner, so please don't keep saying I am not.

I own a PHEV, and have owned an HEV probably longer than many have owned EVs here. Both have electric traction batteries, both can go on electricity only, and both are classified as EVs in the general usage (if not here, where PHEV is one, but not HEVs)

The fact that I am not a rah rah rah, cis boom bah fan, but am skeptical at times does not make me a "basher".
OK, if you say so I'll take your word. I'll even stop arguing with you that you drive an EV. But I will tell you, there is a huge difference between driving a PHEV and BEV. And even a HEV, which is extremely underpowered (I've driven last years Mirai). A Huge difference. That's all I'm saying on the subject, moving on
Old 04-20-24, 04:52 PM
asj2024
Advanced

OK, if you say so I'll take your word. I'll even stop arguing with you that you drive an EV. But I will tell you, there is a huge difference between driving a PHEV and BEV. And even a HEV, which is extremely underpowered (I've driven last years Mirai). A Huge difference. That's all I'm saying on the subject, moving on
I drive an RX450h+. Not as a car type primarily, but as a make and model.

It is gorgeous, very luxurious, drives very well, and is hopefully historically reliable. If I ever cared to accelerate fast, which I rarely if ever do except to pass, it goes 0 to 60 mph between 5.8 to 6.2 sec, more than enough for situations.

It allows me to contribute to environmentalism when I go on short daily drives, but at the same time continues to be very convenient and gives me freedom during longer drives. No worries, no anxieties, no wasting time at charging lines or planning routes based on chargers.

I am extremely satisfied with the car so far.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-20-24 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-20-24, 04:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I drive an RX450h+. Not as a car type primarily, but as a make and model.

It is gorgeous, very luxurious, drives very well, and is hopefully historically reliable. If I ever cared to accelerate fast, which I rarely if ever do except to pass, it goes 0 to 60 mph between 5.8 to 6.2 sec, more than enough for situations.

It also allows me to contribute to environmentalism when I go on short daily drives, but at the same time continues to be very convenient and gives me freedom during longer drives.

I am extremely satisfied with the car so far.
I'm glad you are happy with it. If it suits your needs, I can't argue with that
Old 04-20-24, 05:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I would certainly never classify you as an EV fan, let’s just put it that way. Your posts are almost exclusively negative about EVs.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (04-20-24), LeX2K (04-20-24), swajames (04-20-24)
Old 04-20-24, 07:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Knock off the personal comments please, or do not post.
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks knock off the personal commentary please

asking yet again………. Move on or get the boot from this thread
Old 04-20-24, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

When I say marketing tool, I mean someone who's not really heavy into the actual tech creation, but the marketing hyberbole side.
So he made a good investment. Cool.
respectfully, these opinions about elon musk shows you know almost nothing about him.

the man slept on the fremont factory floor doing whatever it took to get cars produced so the company could make it. that's more than a 'marketing hyperbole' guy or 'good investor'. like gates, he worked hundred hour weeks for YEARS to make tesla (and other ventures like spacex) a success. he read a hundred books on rocket design so he knew what it took to build them. he also has a degree in physics. he was a founder of paypal and openai. i've not read walter isaacson's biography, but you might consider doing more fact checking of your own assertions. here you go. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

plenty of info there showing his brilliance but also impulsiveness and plenty of mistakes and backtracking.

that's incorrect too. gates wrote a BASIC programming language interpreter (in assembly language) used by millions of computers before he bought the underpinnings of DOS. i've read his code and had meetings with the man. like musk, he's uh, unusual, quirky, but obviously brilliant.

Originally Posted by Bob04
Steve Jobs was ALL marketing. Steve Woz was the tech brains behind Apple.
jobs was way more than marketing, he was a product ideas guy with a passion for design, aesthetics, consistency, and creativity.

wozniak was a great electronics engineer but only in the very early days of apple (apple II, maybe apple iii) was he relevant.
Old 04-20-24, 08:29 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
he also has a degree in physics.
I guess I do stand corrected.
Old 04-20-24, 08:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's incorrect too. gates wrote a BASIC programming language interpreter (in assembly language) used by millions of computers before he bought the underpinnings of DOS. i've read his code and had meetings with the man. like musk, he's uh, unusual, quirky, but obviously brilliant.
He wrote stuff in assembly, whoop de doo. Lol

He made his $$$ billions being the anti-trust king and was well connected 👑

His genius and $Billions was not from coding in assembly, feel free to disagree.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by Margate330; 04-20-24 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-20-24, 08:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Difference between Jobs, Gates and many others is they were confined to one area of expertise* they never ventured beyond. Jobs was always about compute devices and especially interfaces, Gates putting his software in every PC. Musk is heavily into AI, cars, rockets, satellite network, tunneling, robotics, neural implants etc

Even a guy like Jensen still only does one thing, make chips and the software stack to support it he won't be sending astronauts into space any time soon. Microsoft has branched out to an extent but they are still just a software company like Apple. We won't be seeing any Apple or Microsoft satellites.

Then there is Starship that is one insane project you have to have a very high tolerance for failure to attempt to orbit and land that thing.

* For clarity Jobs was more ambitious than Gates (and way smarter IMO) he did found Pixar and by extension NeXT. But that's still in the same general field.
His genius and $Billions was not from coding in assembly, feel free to disagree.

​​​​​​
Gates is not a person to be admired quite the opposite. He's taken on the role of being an expert in things we can't talk about here but he is no expert in those fields. His agenda now is well I can't say but you know what I'm talking about. And people somehow forget or don't know how viciously he tried to destroy any competition.

Last edited by LeX2K; 04-20-24 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread