EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 09:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is the whole point of Teslas dynamic pricing guys…this is why they are so hard for a legacy carmaker to compete with.
You would not be saying that if you bought a new Tesla 2yrs ago and now its worth so much less bec of discounts on msrp.

Plenty of Tesla Owners are NOT happy and will not buy one again.
Smart play is only to lease EVs until market determines resale value which will take years of data.
Old 04-21-24, 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

haha, i needed this today...

Old 04-21-24, 09:51 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asj2024
The way this is going, Tesla won't need a $25k econobox car

NBC: Tesla cuts U.S. prices on its Model Y, S and X vehicles after a difficult week
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...eek-rcna148693

The Y is now around the price of a Prius Prime XSE if you add in the tax creds, and cheaper than the premium.
Turns out it may help to have Dealers and Professional Sales People push your products and “convince” people to buy your junk lol

Its always great when products sell themselves but when they are stale you need sales folk that can close deals.

Lowering prices is much worse than offering discounts as it has worse effect on depreciation. If I bought a BMW that has msrp of $65k for $60k, on paper its still was $65k car when i go to resell it. Not so with Teslas.

Also Tesla should focus on leasing to drive volume.

They desperately need service people and sales people. Not everyone wants to talk to an app…
Old 04-21-24, 10:01 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
They desperately need service people and sales people. Not everyone wants to talk to an app…
^^^This
Dealer networks?

Maybe some more models to choose from?
Old 04-21-24, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

You would not be saying that if you bought a new Tesla 2yrs ago and now its worth so much less bec of discounts on msrp.

Smart play is only to lease EVs until market determines resale value which will take years of data.
sucks for those people, but Tesla is in the market of selling new cars not preserving value for others.

Tesla has some of if not the highest customer retention in the business. I don’t think this will be an issue for them.
The following users liked this post:
Hameed (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 10:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
^^^This
Dealer networks?
Absolutely not THAT. Their current model is the way of the future. Eliminate the middlemen that add frustration to the process.
Old 04-21-24, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

The concept that car salespeople use sales skills to sell anybody anything is totally foreign to me from what I have seen, and I’m a professional salesperson.
Hameed (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 10:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

You're using anecdotal evidence to support this - owners on forums and perhaps people you know.

These groups don't make up the vast majority of Tesla owners or potential owners.

This is not going to hurt Tesla whatsoever.
Old 04-21-24, 11:01 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

The concept that car salespeople use sales skills to sell anybody anything is totally foreign to me from what I have seen, and I’m a professional salesperson.
They are basically 'commission chasers" skilled in the art of making you feel like you're getting a great deal while quietly counting the dollars stacking up in their commission check.
Old 04-21-24, 11:16 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
They are basically 'commission chasers" skilled in the art of making you feel like you're getting a great deal while quietly counting the dollars stacking up in their commission check.
The way I see it, anyone who willingly pays dealership mark-ups are chumps, to put it lightly. Doesn't mean you are a bad person, just means you may need to rethink your financial priorities. Like the chumps that paid $10k mark-ups on the Ioniq 5 N, every dealership around me sold their allocations. A real head shaker. Tesla sold over 1.8 million EV'S last year without one dealership, and I'm confident they will continue this trend
Old 04-21-24, 11:21 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

You're using anecdotal evidence to support this - owners on forums and perhaps people you know.

These groups don't make up the vast majority of Tesla owners or potential owners.

I think we all know quite a few owners will be pissed. Some are fans to the core, but many people no matter what vehicle they own, don't like it when the resale or trade in value of their asset drops significantly and quickly. Resale and trade in value is almost always a top topic when discussing used cars.

Old 04-21-24, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
I think we all know quite a few owners will be pissed. Some are fans to the core, but many people no matter what vehicle they own, don't like it when the resale or trade in value of their asset drops significantly and quickly. Resale and trade in value is almost always a top topic when discussing used cars.
used cars help dealers, not manufacturers. but people rationalize anything... most get a trade-in value, are pissed, but do the deal anyway.

AMIRZA786 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 11:42 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

There is a level of human involvement that is needed to give ppl extra push / support to sign on dotted line. For many, it may be the largest purchase in their lives. It’s natural to feel anxious and have questions.

It’s also important if you have a trade in vehicle. Whether its cars, RE or selling clothes - good sales ppl will always help. Even Ferrari has sales people and dealer network.
Old 04-21-24, 11:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Sure its working out great for them so far lol

Keep lowering those prices!

Brand equity is one of the most important things to build but can be destroyed very quickly. Toyota/Lexus have amazing brand equity so does Ferrari, Porsche etc. It took Hyundai and Kia a long time and huge amount investment to rebuild their brand name.

Tesla had very strong brand name but has done so many negative things lately to hurt the company whether its Elon Musk, cutting prices, build quality, controversial FSD capabilities etc. Many ppl now don’t have as high opinion of the brand as they did just a few years ago and that is not good for a company looking to grow aggressively.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-21-24 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-21-24, 12:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Most people are ready to buy when the show up on the lot.

People are also impulsive so a dealer network answers this by having local inventory in stock and easing the customer thru a large purchase item.

Just like real estate sales, having someone to guide a customer thru the process brings sales. IMO
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread