EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 12:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Sure its working out great for them so far lol

Keep lowering those prices!

Brand equity is one of the most important things to build but can be destroyed very quickly. Toyota/Lexus have amazing brand equity so does Ferrari, Porsche etc. It took Hyundai and Kia a long time and huge amount investment to rebuild their brand name.

Tesla had very strong brand name but has done so many negative things lately to hurt the company whether its Elon Musk, cutting prices, build quality, controversial FSD capabilities etc. Many ppl now don’t have as high opinion of the brand as they did just a few years ago and that is not good for a company looking to grow aggressively.
Tesla is going to be just fine. Last year's sales were a record high, with zero dealership network, and record sales is still achievable. They are definitely going through a rough patch, some of it is Elon's fault, and Tesla has made a few missteps. If you remember Jan of last year, their stock hit a $113 low, and I was reading everywhere the same thing...Tesla is on it's way down. Ended Q4 with 1.8 Million EV's sold, which was a record. Completely achievable again if Tesla gets to work.

Tesla needs to be aggressive, Elon needs to put X aside for now, and they need to work on getting a refreshed Model Y out. As far as price cuts, I love them! I'm in the market next year for a Model 3 to replace my Polestar and possibly another Model Y to replace my Ioniq 5, which both go off lease Jan and June 2025, and I'm hoping for further price cuts before than!
Old 04-21-24, 12:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

source
Old 04-21-24, 03:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

There is a level of human involvement that is needed to give ppl extra push / support to sign on dotted line. For many, it may be the largest purchase in their lives. It’s natural to feel anxious and have questions.

It’s also important if you have a trade in vehicle. Whether its cars, RE or selling clothes - good sales ppl will always help. Even Ferrari has sales people and dealer network.
You're talking to somebody who absolutely believes in the value of a good salesperson. You are completely right, that consumers benefit from having good salespeople to help them through a large transaction. Its what feeds my family and its what fed me when I was a kid, put me through college etc as my dad was a very successful salesperson

HOWEVER, car salespeople are not good salespeople. I have bought probably a dozen cars in my life, and I have negotiated dozens of other deals for friends. I also used to consult with car dealerships for a living and sold them systems to retain sales customers for service. I have met hundreds of car salespeople in my life. I can count the number of decent car salespeople I have met on one hand. I have had maybe one or two that have helped me personally buy a car that I thought were good. The rest are total bottom of the barrell one step off the Best Buy floor and can't provide anybody any benefit at all...they don't even know the product.

So no, I don't see the value in the car salesperson model as it exists right now where salespeople are extremely low caliber and provide little to no service to the customer.

The reality is its so hard to make a living as a good salesperson in the car business that anybody good moves on to higher margin sales where they can make a much better living. So that leaves people who can't do that selling cars.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 03:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You're talking to somebody who absolutely believes in the value of a good salesperson. You are completely right, that consumers benefit from having good salespeople to help them through a large transaction. Its what feeds my family and its what fed me when I was a kid, put me through college etc as my dad was a very successful salesperson

HOWEVER, car salespeople are not good salespeople. I have bought probably a dozen cars in my life, and I have negotiated dozens of other deals for friends. I also used to consult with car dealerships for a living and sold them systems to retain sales customers for service. I have met hundreds of car salespeople in my life. I can count the number of decent car salespeople I have met on one hand. I have had maybe one or two that have helped me personally buy a car that I thought were good. The rest are total bottom of the barrell one step off the Best Buy floor and can't provide anybody any benefit at all...they don't even know the product.

So no, I don't see the value in the car salesperson model as it exists right now where salespeople are extremely low caliber and provide little to no service to the customer.

The reality is its so hard to make a living as a good salesperson in the car business that anybody good moves on to higher margin sales where they can make a much better living. So that leaves people who can't do that selling cars.
Just to add to your above point, would you buy a car from a dealership if they sent you this email?

Not only are they adding $10k on top of MSRP, but they are telling me I can't even test drive a car they asking me to plop $77k on . I wish I had the email I got from Fremont Toyota where they were expecting my brother in law to be happy they were selling him a Sienna for $60k. The email basically said "take it or leave it" when we tried to negotiate down ADM. If either Tesla or Polestar did anything remotely like this to me, I would have walked away.

Basically you have to have low self esteem to find these practices acceptable
Old 04-21-24, 04:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Just to add to your above point, would you buy a car from a dealership if they sent you this email?
Not only are they adding $10k on top of MSRP, but they are telling me I can't even test drive a car they asking me to plop $77k on . I wish I had the email I got from Fremont Toyota where they were expecting my brother in law to be happy they were selling him a Sienna for $60k. The email basically said "take it or leave it" when we tried to negotiate down ADM. If either Tesla or Polestar did anything remotely like this to me, I would have walked away.

Basically you have to have low self esteem to find these practices acceptable
Absolutely not, ridiculous. No customer service at all.
Old 04-21-24, 04:13 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Salesmen who won't let you test drive can kick rocks.
​​​​​​
AMIRZA786 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 04:19 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

Deleted. Was commenting on Tesla vs Toyota pricing.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 04-21-24 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-21-24, 04:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Salesmen who won't let you test drive can kick rocks.
​​​​​​
I know, huh? Every Hyundai dealership within 100 miles gave me the same answer...no test drive, $10k ADM
Old 04-21-24, 05:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

I know, huh? Every Hyundai dealership within 100 miles gave me the same answer...no test drive, $10k ADM
They know people will buy them sight unseen and would rather give it to them with fewer miles. I don’t like it but understand why
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (04-21-24), bitkahuna (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand why for a specific special car like that. Everybody wants to drive it…there is a way to communicate that to the customer though.
AMIRZA786 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 05:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
They know people will buy them sight unseen and would rather give it to them with fewer miles. I don’t like it but understand why
​​​​​​In addition to what SW said, I've leased two cars from Capital Hyundai, so I'm not just a stranger off the streets.

The bottom line is, as much as I love our Ioniq 5, I probably won't be leasing another one due to bad experience with the dealership. They pretty much pushed me to getting another Tesla, which was a seamless, stress free experience from ordering, to delivery
Old 04-21-24, 06:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Most car sales people I have encountered especially from top brands are good people and have extensive experience. Forums are also a great resource to get a great dealer referral. I got my Mach 1 from dealer in PA who were GREAT to deal with and extremely transparent.

I LIKE the Tesla model with the stores to “test and learn” about the cars but there is still the need to “close the sale” whether thats talking someone into the purchase, knocking a few hundred off the sticker or giving couple bucks more on a trade - it is extremely important.

You sell homes - there are always seller concessions that are made to close the deal whether it’s throwing in some fixture or furniture or repairing something. You need an experienced sales person to make it happen.

Sales is also very psychological to understand and ease concerns of a buyer, their wife or other family member etc.

There are definitely bad sales ppl but go down to your Lexus dealer and talk to any person there, they will be professional and guide you through the process. We as car guys and ppl that know lease/finance structures don’t need handholding but that is not the case with majority of buyers.
bitkahuna (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 06:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Most car sales people I have encountered especially from top brands are good people and have extensive experience. Forums are also a great resource to get a great dealer referral. I got my Mach 1 from dealer in PA who were GREAT to deal with and extremely transparent.

I LIKE the Tesla model with the stores to “test and learn” about the cars but there is still the need to “close the sale” whether thats talking someone into the purchase, knocking a few hundred off the sticker or giving couple bucks more on a trade - it is extremely important.

You sell homes - there are always seller concessions that are made to close the deal whether it’s throwing in some fixture or furniture or repairing something. You need an experienced sales person to make it happen.

Sales is also very psychological to understand and ease concerns of a buyer, their wife or other family member etc.

There are definitely bad sales ppl but go down to your Lexus dealer and talk to any person there, they will be professional and guide you through the process. We as car guys and ppl that know lease/finance structures don’t need handholding but that is not the case with majority of buyers.
When you test drive a Tesla, you are assigned a rep who also follows up with you. Tesla also offers you incentives such as points for merchandise, software upgrades, and rebates off of the purchase. They don't pressure you like a cars salesman does, which is exactly how I like it. I love the Tesla sales model, it's the most efficient car buying experience I've ever had in my life (besides Polestars), I've bought about 9 or 10 new cars in my adult life
Old 04-21-24, 06:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Margate330
Most people are ready to buy when the show up on the lot.

People are also impulsive so a dealer network answers this by having local inventory in stock and easing the customer thru a large purchase item.

Just like real estate sales, having someone to guide a customer thru the process brings sales. IMO
​​​​​​
100%

Tesla purchase is a luxury and for most ppl a car purchase is very impulsive. If you ask sales ppl how many times ppl bought something completely different than they originally came in for. Nobody needs a Model S or Model X - these are large luxury purchases that ppl usually make on impulse. Something happens when you sit in that new car and it smells good and all clean /shiny. Then you have salesperson bsing you to get it now or Chuck is coming in with a deposit in 30 minutes. Lol
bitkahuna (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 06:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

When you test drive a Tesla, you are assigned a rep who also follows up with you. Tesla also offers you incentives such as points for merchandise, software upgrades, and rebates off of the purchase. They don't pressure you like a cars salesman does, which is exactly how I like it. I love the Tesla sales model, it's the most efficient car buying experience I've ever had in my life (besides Polestars's), and I've bought about 9 or 10 new cars in my adult life
I like that also but this is America where salespeople are some of the best compensated people for a reason - they move products!
There is definitely a certain percentage of sales Tesla is losing by not having hungry sales folks on commission trying to make deals happen.
I have spoken to folks in Tesla stores and they don’t want to talk #s on lease or anything - how do u do business this way?!

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread