EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I actually love this car, I was hoping that I could possibly lease it, I wouldn't mind replacing it with my Polestar.
guessing the dealer makes more from a purchase than a lease but i could be wrong. but if true, they're more interested in selling it.

now I'm definitely not interested. Well, I shouldn't say definitely, but not as interested as I was previous. Anyway, this is not going to be a mass produced car by any means, and no way I want to spend $77k
yup, but there are people who do, and the dealers know that, so it's not for you. supply and demand.

maybe tesla should sell their cars on cars and bids.

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-21-24)
Old 04-22-24, 06:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
guessing the dealer makes more from a purchase than a lease but i could be wrong. but if true, they're more interested in selling it.
That would solely depend on specific program incentives. From an inventory perspective, the dealer is selling the car to someone no matter what. Cash purchase is obviously to the buyer/owner, Finance or Lease is to the (usually captive) finance company. So until you start talking about kickbacks, the profit at signature is the same. Negotiated purchase price + dealer fees - dealer cost for the car.

I'm less familiar with dealer incentives for leases, but for example both BMWFS and AudiFS allow the dealers to mark up the finance rate by up to 1%, and whatever they add comes back to them, on top of whatever kickback they get once the loan reaches a minimum term (usually 90 days).

Last edited by geko29; 04-22-24 at 06:18 AM.
AMIRZA786 (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 08:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
For comparison. It took 15 seconds to arrive at the purchase screen I could buy in another 30 seconds.

I have purchased 3 cars in the past 18 months and all 3 were negotiated over email without me going down to the dealer. They sent me all the numbers up front and I signed the bill of sale. No additional BS at all, no run around with what a manager can do etc.

Also what if a buyer has questions on financing or registering the car or insurance etc. These are all things that you need a dealer to assist with. Most people also have a trade-in vehicle etc.

Its not always a simple - here is your price and buyer writes you a check. That’s probably the lowest occurrence.
Old 04-22-24, 08:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I get what you're saying, but I don't want anyone pressuring me, and I don't want anyone trying to cheat me, which is what the dealership tried to do when I leased our Ioniq 5. When the lease is up, adios Hyundai.

You don't need anyone doing numbers for you, it's all on tesla.com. Before you even put down your deposit, you know exactly to the penny OOD you are going to pay. If finance through Tesla, it's disclosed. If you finance through a third party like I did, it's all there on the screen. Why do I need someone explaining this to me when it's all there? And Tesla will never sneak anything in that shows up later, like has happened to me a few times buying through dealerships
You are assuming people understand these numbers or can even qualify for the loan amount. Most folks are not financially literate especially if it’s their first purchase. You also have ppl that may be upside down on their existing loan. There are MANY variables.

Again I’m not saying Tesla sales would be 50% more if they had sales people but I definitely think that they could be doing another 10-20% in business with a dealer network.
Old 04-22-24, 08:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You are assuming people understand these numbers or can even qualify for the loan amount. Most folks are not financially literate especially if it’s their first purchase. You also have ppl that may be upside down on their existing loan. There are MANY variables.

Again I’m not saying Tesla sales would be 50% more if they had sales people but I definitely think that they could be doing another 10-20% in business with a dealer network.
That's another issue altogether. this number was based on current financing through Tesla, but you can finance through other parties/banks. You can also select that you are paying cash or leasing to get numbers based on those options. As far as those numbers I posted from the Model Y configuration, if someone doesn't understand them, I don't know what to say, maybe they went to a really bad public school? I feel really bad for someone like that, fertile grounds for an unscrupulous dealership screwing them royally

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-22-24 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 08:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

i could imagine a day when tesla DOES allow independent dealers to sell new cars for them, just in the same way apple and dell sell direct, but they also sell through best buy, etc.
Margate330 (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 09:05 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i could imagine a day when tesla DOES allow independent dealers to sell new cars for them, just in the same way apple and dell sell direct, but they also sell through best buy, etc.
I do believe it will happen eventually.

Maybe dealers that specialize in EV's.

Like a combo Polestar & Tesla, etc dealer, that sounds cool.
Old 04-22-24, 09:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
I do believe it will happen eventually.

Maybe dealers that specialize in EV's.

Like a combo Polestar & Tesla, etc dealer, that sounds cool.
I don't know what you think about this, but one of our companies early investors is the Hyundai family. Some of our executive team flew out to Korea a few years back and met with the CEO, Chung Eui-Sun and the rest of the executive team. At the time they had just released the Ioniq 5, which at the time had large dealer mark-ups. One of our VP's which is also a friend of mine casually mentioned to him that he was interested in buying an Ionq 5, but wasn't buying one due to Dealership mark-ups, and Hyundai's CEO said to him that he felt the biggest hold up for their EV offerings was dealerships, but couldn't do anything about it due to binding agreements that tied his hands. I tend to agree with that assessment

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-22-24 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I have purchased 3 cars in the past 18 months and all 3 were negotiated over email without me going down to the dealer. They sent me all the numbers up front and I signed the bill of sale. No additional BS at all, no run around with what a manager can do etc.

Also what if a buyer has questions on financing or registering the car or insurance etc. These are all things that you need a dealer to assist with. Most people also have a trade-in vehicle etc.

Its not always a simple - here is your price and buyer writes you a check. That’s probably the lowest occurrence.
See, I did that and got to the dealer and they spent 5 hours trying to renege on what we had agreed to. When I threw the salesman out of the room and dealt with the finance manager and the sales manager it got done.

I deal with the public on a daily basis when they are buying and selling homes. People are more literate than you give them credit.

As fir maybe they could do 10-20% more business...maybe...but would they make 10-20% more profit? I doubt it.
Old 04-22-24, 12:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,545 Posts

AMIRZA786 (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 12:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I hope to God it's not anywhere near Model S/Plaid pricing. If it's close to last years Model 3P pricing or Model Y Performance pricing....this baby is mine when the Polestar's lease is up
Old 04-22-24, 01:12 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I hope to God it's not anywhere near Model S/Plaid pricing. If it's close to last years Model 3P pricing or Model Y Performance pricing....this baby is mine when the Polestar's lease is up
It would never sell if it's even remotely close to the S/X Plaid price. It wouldn't even be close to the Model S LR price. I predict it will be about $10k (at the most) more than the Model 3 LR .
AMIRZA786 (04-22-24)
Old 04-23-24, 05:53 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

TSLA reports earnings today. I anticipate there will be more blood on the streets... Predictions by anyone?
Old 04-23-24, 06:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
TSLA reports earnings today. I anticipate there will be more blood on the streets... Predictions by anyone?
Bloodbath
Allen K (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 06:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Good time to buy if you can hold long term - over 2 years and ride it out…..

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread