EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 10:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I'm slightly underwhelmed 2.9 seconds 0-60 is a rolling start.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Dude, I've held Tesla stock way before Robo Taxi was a thing 🤣

Look at one post above yours....That's why!!!!
Hope I'm wrong is an interesting investment strategy.
Old 04-23-24, 10:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Well you know what they say, you can't have your cake and it. I'll take 3.1 seconds
Old 04-23-24, 10:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm already invested, since May 2020. What other investment strategy should I have? If Robotaxi works out than I'll pretend I was all for it and enjoy the upside. If it doesn't, Tesla has other upsides. I've been on the roller coaster way to long to get off now, the time to get out was when it around $300, but you know what they say about hesitation. I have other investments that will cover TSLA should things end up not working out
Old 04-23-24, 10:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Old 3P was ~3.2 seconds 0-60 so a decent improvement. It does feel like they're sandbagging a bit to not step on the toes of the plaid

Last edited by Allen K; 04-23-24 at 10:33 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 10:23 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I think what he's suggesting is that he likes the company for other reasons and he's not banking on robo taxi. So if it comes through and does well, it's all just positive upside for him.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 10:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I'm already invested, since May 2020. What other investment strategy should I have? If Robotaxi works out than I'll pretend I was all for it and enjoy the upside. If it doesn't, Tesla has other upsides.
Optimus and FSD are two sides of the same coin they either both succeed or fail. Remove those and is Tesla a trillion dollar company?

I've been on the roller coaster way to long to get off now, the time to get out was when it around $300, but you know what they say about hesitation. I have other investments that will cover TSLA should things end up not working out
This is the correct strategy. A very safe investment is buy the NASDAQ and forget about it you won't make huge gains but you will do well long term.

TSLA is doing what it usually does pre earnings the stock is up. You know what happens next.
Old 04-23-24, 10:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think what he's suggesting is that he likes the company for other reasons and he's not banking on robo taxi. So if it comes through and does well, it's all just positive upside for him.
Exactly, well said. IMO for example, a lower cost vehicle should be a priority over automated Taxi's, but I'm not going to dump my shares because they are changing course. I don't agree with everything Tesla does, like Cyber Truck design. I still love the company, although I'm not a fan of the truck, to put it lightly
Old 04-23-24, 10:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Exactly, well said. IMO for example, a lower cost vehicle should be a priority over automated Taxi's, but I'm not going to dump my shares because they are changing course.
What you're saying is you want Tesla to be Toyota make a pile of cars. We don't know if Tesla changed course hopefully later today there will be some clarity.
I don't agree with everything Tesla does, like Cyber Truck design. I still love the company, although I'm not a fan of the truck, to put it lightly
Cybertruck is the greatest marketing tool I've ever seen at least in the automotive space. For example

Old 04-23-24, 10:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

What you're saying is you want Tesla to be Toyota make a pile of cars. We don't know if Tesla changed course hopefully later today there will be some clarity.

Cybertruck is the greatest marketing tool I've ever seen at least in the automotive space. For example

https://twitter.com/katyperry/status...23069825368377
No, you are putting words in my mouth....again 🤣

I'm not worried about the course Tesla takes, working for startups for the last 25 years, sometimes you have throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. We spun about 20 companies that were great ideas, and about 3 or 4 ended up being successful, or at least catching the attention of investors

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-23-24 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 11:01 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

No, you are putting words in my mouth....again 🤣
Yea sorta, I'm messing with you.
I'm not worried about the course Tesla takes, working for startups for the last 25 years, sometimes you have throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. We spun about 20 companies that were great ideas, and about 3 or 4 ended up being successful, or at least catching the attention of investors
Sure but Tesla has spent $10+ billion on GPU clusters and a pile on human resources that's a pretty big failure if it doesn't work out. And every Tesla on the road can run FSD that didn't come cheap. On top of that the entire FSD software stack was tossed out when they realized explicit coding was never going to work that had to be expensive.
Old 04-23-24, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yea sorta, I'm messing with you.

Sure but Tesla has spent $10+ billion on GPU clusters and a pile on human resources that's a pretty big failure if it doesn't work out. And every Tesla on the road can run FSD that didn't come cheap. On top of that the entire FSD software stack was tossed out when they realized explicit coding was never going to work that had to be expensive.
No, I get that, and if Tesla gets FSD fully working....with cameras only, that's freaking amazing. I'm not a programmer, but I never thought lines of code would work, there are two many variables that can be missed or go wrong. I think when they finally get it working, it's going to be huge. Imagine owning a Tesla, and being able to hire it out in the evening as a ride service. Imagine the number of people who will buy a Tesla, come home from work and send it out to work for them so they can make their monthly payment or a supplemental income. But I think that is a long way off
Old 04-23-24, 11:19 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

No, I get that, and if Tesla gets FSD fully working....with cameras only, that's freaking amazing. I'm not a programmer, but I never thought lines of code would work, there are two many variables that can be missed or go wrong. I think when they finally get it working, it's going to be huge. Imagine owning a Tesla, and being able to hire it out in the evening as a ride service. Imagine the number of people who will buy a Tesla, come home from work and send it out to work for them so they can make their monthly payment or a supplemental income. But I think that is a long way off
Imo that sounds all good when you think about it but reality will be far different.
​​​​​​FIrst if FSD and the robotaxi comes to fruition, the market saturation of Tesla owners and businesses buying a bunch of Teslas to operate robo taxis will make the profit margin really thin. Then imagine your Tesla returning to picking you up to go wherever and you realize a passenger threw up / damaged / left trash in your Tesla.

In a perfect world it sounds great to own a robotaxi but it won't be all roses. Where I think it makes a ton of sense is just your Tesla being your personal driver. Brings you wherever, picks up your kids / parents, goes to the service center itself, goes to the grocery store and do curbside pick up, etc.
Old 04-23-24, 11:23 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

More money has been made betting on Tesla than against it.

The current blip is probably just that.
Old 04-23-24, 11:24 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Old 04-23-24, 11:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Imo that sounds all good when you think about it but reality will be far different.
​​​​​​FIrst if FSD and the robotaxi comes to fruition, the market saturation of Tesla owners and businesses buying a bunch of Teslas to operate robo taxis will make the profit margin really thin. Then imagine your Tesla returning to picking you up to go wherever and you realize a passenger threw up / damaged / left trash in your Tesla.

In a perfect world it sounds great to own a robotaxi but it won't be all roses. Where I think it makes a ton of sense is just your Tesla being your personal driver. Brings you wherever, picks up your kids / parents, goes to the service center itself, goes to the grocery store and do curbside pick up, etc.
We are a long way away from all you described . I'm sure there is going to be regulations, licensing etc.Plus insurance costs that will keep everyone and their mom from just jumping in. And I'm sure people will figure out the pitfalls, as many who rent out their cars to Turo have figured out

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread