EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-24, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

What’s $2k on a $70k vehicle?
Old 04-25-24, 08:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What’s $2k on a $70k vehicle?
That's not the model S, that's the Model 3 Performance, which is under $60k
Old 04-25-24, 08:40 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 670 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yep, love it, but don't think I want to pay $2k more for it. Sorry guys, that's the "cheap" in me speaking 🤣
Wasn't your color $2k? We spent $2k on the wheels, but took the free at the time, color. I would gladly pay the $2k for red on a M3P, though.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 08:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
Wasn't your color $2k? We spent $2k on the wheels, but took the free at the time, color. I would gladly pay the $2k for red on a M3P, though.
I was joking. I paid $1500 for black on the Y. I'm not a super big fan of Red, too much attention, although I think it looks great. I prefer either black or Grey personally
Old 04-25-24, 09:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Quicksilver is coming to the Y in the U.S. but we're still stuck on the old platform. Come on Tesla stop screwing around update the Y.
Old 04-26-24, 03:37 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So we’ve talked about my frustrations with Tesla controls. I was at a business event this afternoon with my friend that has the Model S that has the issues with it taking so long to get repairs done. Well this morning she backed into her flagpole, why? Because she slid her finger up on the screen and it didn’t catch drive as she intended and she accelerated thinking it was in drive when it was still in reverse. Silly control interface.

A few months ago she had a windstorm, and her basketball hoop blew over onto her Tesla and her husbands BMW, both had similar damage. BMW was done over a month before the Tesla because of parts difficulty etc.

She would get rid of it but she can’t, because they dropped the prices $30k from when she bought and she’s completely upside down.

She’s not a fan lol
I’ve mentioned this countless times here, it’s almost happened to me a number of times and luckily no one was behind me because I have yet to have to auto brake kick in and one time it was close to a wall.

Ive learned after many close calls to make sure the swipe takes and it still happens especially when you have to do something like a 3 point turn. It is probably the dumbest design move on the car even compared to the turn signal buttons.
Old 04-26-24, 05:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

That's not the model S, that's the Model 3 Performance, which is under $60k
I realize that, but I must have been thinking of the Canadian pricing.

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’ve mentioned this countless times here, it’s almost happened to me a number of times and luckily no one was behind me because I have yet to have to auto brake kick in and one time it was close to a wall.

Ive learned after many close calls to make sure the swipe takes and it still happens especially when you have to do something like a 3 point turn. It is probably the dumbest design move on the car even compared to the turn signal buttons.
Just a stupid control design that has the real potential to get people hurt.
Old 04-26-24, 06:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I also think it's pretty silly, they should have kept the stalks, no doubt about it. But that's not going to stop me, my next car is the M3P. I've driven both the X and the new Long Range so I know what you are talking about... I'll just have to be extra vigilant
Old 04-26-24, 07:41 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I also think it's pretty silly, they should have kept the stalks, no doubt about it. But that's not going to stop me, my next car is the M3P. I've driven both the X and the new Long Range so I know what you are talking about... I'll just have to be extra vigilant
Agreed, wouldn't stop me from buying either, it's just a dumb idea that complicates things that should be easy to do. The stalks for turn signals aren't as crucial as putting the car in drive or reverse and when you are in a hurry, correctly swiping is crucial.
Old 04-26-24, 07:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Agreed, wouldn't stop me from buying either, it's just a dumb idea that complicates things that should be easy to do. The stalks for turn signals aren't as crucial as putting the car in drive or reverse and when you are in a hurry, correctly swiping is crucial.
It's funny, Jason Camisa and other reviewers complain about the lack of signal stalks, but are fine with shifter in the screen. Maybe they need more time with the car?
Old 04-26-24, 07:52 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

It's funny, Jason Camisa and other reviewers complain about the lack of signal stalks, but are fine with shifter in the screen. Maybe they need more time with the car?
I agree, it seems like most of the complaints are about the turn signals which I understand but you may be correct that maybe they haven't lived with the car and maybe they haven't had that OH SH..T moment that raises your heartbeat. It's hit or miss and I try to be extra careful swiping but there have been several times where I have had to swipe more than a few times because for whatever reason it didn't take.
Old 04-26-24, 09:00 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 707 Likes on 442 Posts

They are both equally poor design decisions, with no real justification other than wanting to be different.

You'd have to think this is an opportunity for the team that developed the S3XY buttons etc to offer a stick-on stalk. Their buttons will already trigger the blinkers and select the shift mode.

AMIRZA786 (04-26-24)
Old 04-26-24, 09:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree, it seems like most of the complaints are about the turn signals which I understand but you may be correct that maybe they haven't lived with the car and maybe they haven't had that OH SH..T moment that raises your heartbeat. It's hit or miss and I try to be extra careful swiping but there have been several times where I have had to swipe more than a few times because for whatever reason it didn't take.
also most of reviewers dont have auto mode on, because you have to do it manually.

With auto mode, 95% of decisions it makes are correct. (It was 50% when it was pushed out). Only thing it needs is support for 3 point turn which is coming here in next update.
So far i did miss the swipe 3-4 times in past 10 months of every day driving, did i miss that many times in AT or Manual? Probably.
AMIRZA786 (04-26-24)
Old 04-26-24, 12:29 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 707 Likes on 442 Posts

Big email blast from Ford this morning to lots of owners pushing back deliveries of the free Tesla Supercharger adapters, including mine which has pushed out from May to June. Tesla is the one making these adapters for the other manufacturers, so the delays probably impact others who now have access to the Superchargers including Rivian customers. I've got an A2Z anyway, so do have this covered if need be but still keen to get the official Tesla adapter.
Old 04-26-24, 01:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
also most of reviewers dont have auto mode on, because you have to do it manually.

With auto mode, 95% of decisions it makes are correct. (It was 50% when it was pushed out). Only thing it needs is support for 3 point turn which is coming here in next update.
So far i did miss the swipe 3-4 times in past 10 months of every day driving, did i miss that many times in AT or Manual? Probably.
Good point, I may try auto mode again although it's only good for one direction and when I am backing out of a space and have to move forward you still need to swipe and that is where the trouble lies. I used to use auto when I first got the car but like you said, it was hit or miss and if you weren't paying attention to what it selected you could run into the car/wall in front or behind you so I turned it off fearing my wife would rely on it too much and come home with a story.
AMIRZA786 (04-26-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread