EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-24, 10:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Is this being done even though in reality there needs to be an acceleration of charging sites and stalls? I know you're not going to answer but this in fact a critical bit of data.
You are saying Musk is under promising?

That would be a first.

Elon on X
Tesla still plans to grow the Supercharger network, just at a slower pace for new locations and more focus on 100% uptime and expansion of existing locations
To me above means big slowdown.

And it is unpleasant feeling as a Tesla owner. I could care less about your Tesla stock.

Luckily they got money from EU for their next European expansions, so that gives me some ease.

​​​​​​​Also, this was fueled by his request to let go of all but 3 unproductive employees to managers and then he sacked the ones who didn't do it
Old 04-30-24, 11:09 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im not sure why people are freaking out about this. The supercharger network is vast. I would go as far as to say they have enough in many states already. It is not meant for day to day charging, but only for long distance. At least in California, we are probably 90% saturated with superchargers. People are acting like the whole network will disappear.
Old 04-30-24, 11:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Tesla is really good at building and installing chargers if there is a need for a faster roll out at some point it will happen. In some locations Tesla goes from a slab of concrete to fully working in 3 days.

Me reading the tea leaves says Elon was very unhappy with the roll out of chargers especially V4 hardware.
Old 05-01-24, 03:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im not sure why people are freaking out about this. The supercharger network is vast. I would go as far as to say they have enough in many states already. It is not meant for day to day charging, but only for long distance. At least in California, we are probably 90% saturated with superchargers. People are acting like the whole network will disappear.
all right, i guess if not in California, sorry.

wtf.

Literally he directly said that they will slow the roll out. Yes, it sux. And no, we dont all live in your neck of the woods. 90% of the countries that Tesla has sales in, were building up rapidly new locations because of the needs.

Old 05-01-24, 03:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is my favourite reply
Knowing more than Elon disease. The guy that put together the "phenomenal job" team suddenly has zero idea what he's doing.
people are entitled to opinions, and just because 'elon' wants to (needs to) cut costs and was unhappy with his former sc team and fired them doesn't negate the fact that slowing sc rollout is a monumentally bad thing to happen.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In California there is a ton of chargers and charger locations, in more than one year of traveling back and forth I've never had even a one minute wait for an available charger.
using california as an example of how the sc network is already good enough is absurd. there's probably 45 other states (and of course most other countries) where it's pretty bad all the way to useless.

i'm in uk right now and while there's teslas here... owned and driven by affluent status seekers who can charge at home using enormously expensive electricity, everyone i've spoken to says the biggest issue is not enough public charging locations and this is a small group of countries geographically. (but uk is not tiny, the main island is about the same size as florida.)

if anything, i think tesla should issue more stock to fund the expansion.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
DaveGS4 (05-01-24), spwolf (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 06:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

In California there is a ton of chargers and charger locations, in more than one year of traveling back and forth I've never had even a one minute wait for an available charger. The cutbacks are not unusual, the biggest cash burn is people... the higher the level, the higher the burn. And in times where there are slowdowns, you cut back. Sounds cold, but that's reality of doing business
Who needs the convenience of charging at home, whisper-quiet drives, and instant torque? Clearly, the joy of pumping gas and hearing the roar of a combustion engine is unparalleled. 😉

The following users liked this post:
bowser (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 07:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
all right, i guess if not in California, sorry.

wtf.

Literally he directly said that they will slow the roll out. Yes, it sux. And no, we dont all live in your neck of the woods. 90% of the countries that Tesla has sales in, were building up rapidly new locations because of the needs.
Wait wait wait....I never said it was good. Slow down before you hang me 🤣
Old 05-01-24, 07:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
people are entitled to opinions, and just because 'elon' wants to (needs to) cut costs and was unhappy with his former sc team and fired them doesn't negate the fact that slowing sc rollout is a monumentally bad thing to happen.

using california as an example of how the sc network is already good enough is absurd. there's probably 45 other states (and of course most other countries) where it's pretty bad all the way to useless.

i'm in uk right now and while there's teslas here... owned and driven by affluent status seekers who can charge at home using enormously expensive electricity, everyone i've spoken to says the biggest issue is not enough public charging locations and this is a small group of countries geographically. (but uk is not tiny, the main island is about the same size as florida.)

Please, I never said it was a good thing, just not unusual for someone who's worked in Silicon valley built companies
Old 05-01-24, 07:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Who needs the convenience of charging at home, whisper-quiet drives, and instant torque? Clearly, the joy of pumping gas and hearing the roar of a combustion engine is unparalleled. 😉

Where can I sign up? 😂
Old 05-01-24, 07:24 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Where can I sign up? 😂
For the T-shirt or the club?
Old 05-01-24, 07:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
For the T-shirt or the club?
Well, I don't know about the club, but I would love to pull up in my Tesla or Polestar wearing that awesome non self awareness T-shirt 🤣
The following users liked this post:
Hameed (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 07:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I knew my statement would be unpopular opinion. But please tell me which states they should expand the SC network at. breakneck speeds? Let's remember he is not saying he will stop creating any more SCs. It will slow down. There are already so many SCs where at least 70% of the US population lives. Add the fact that most people in middle country would die before giving up their pickups, I don't really see what the problem is. Again, the SC should not be relied on for daily charging, but for cross country road trips.

The following 3 users liked this post by RXSF:
AMIRZA786 (05-01-24), bowser (05-01-24), swajames (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 08:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I knew my statement would be unpopular opinion. But please tell me which states they should expand the SC network at. breakneck speeds? Let's remember he is not saying he will stop creating any more SCs. It will slow down. There are already so many SCs where at least 70% of the US population lives. Add the fact that most people in middle country would die before giving up their pickups, I don't really see what the problem is. Again, the SC should not be relied on for daily charging, but for cross country road trips.

I see it as purely a business decision, as you mentioned, based on demand. Like why would you spend resources building new superchargers in areas where EV demand is lower? When we travelled to Carson City, NV last summer, there was literally no fast chargers, the closest Tesla superchargers were in Reno, 30 miles away....because people don't buy or drive EV's in Carson City. Those that were driving Tesla's and were out of towners just used the destination chargers at their hotels. It is what it is, it sucks for sure, but it's just business, nothing personal
Old 05-01-24, 08:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I agree in principle that the SC rollout shouldn't slow down for a bunch of reasons stated multiple times already.

Having said that, I disagree that's it's pretty bad or next to useless every where else other than California.

Here's how many SC's are within a 60 mile radius of where I live as an example

The following 2 users liked this post by Hameed:
AMIRZA786 (05-01-24), Margate330 (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 09:18 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

Isn't the first rule of Anti Electric Vehicle Club that you do not talk about Anti Electric Vehicle Club????

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (05-01-24), Margate330 (05-01-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread