EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

This is a first hand story from a Tesla employee who was laid off about how it happened. Crappy company:

Work for yourselves folks.
The following users liked this post:
FrankReynoldsCPA (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 09:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is a first hand story from a Tesla employee who was laid off about how it happened. Crappy company:

Man I feel for that guy, the hours he was working and the commute were brutal especially for how much he was making but that is the kind of guy I would want working for me. Seemed really driven and willing to start at the bottom and working his way up. That is a terrible way to be let go but that’s sometimes how it is with big companies. Also sad to hear about his future plans, I ain’t living in my car that’s for sure.
Old 05-05-24, 10:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

https://youtu.be/uqXWL2SoQVk?si=EDC3T_FeHudMsL0X

I feel for the guy. This is how many Silicon Valley startups operate, but for a global company like Tesla, this is pretty sad. I said this in an earlier post, if our CEO I work for treated our employees anything remotely like this, I would have hit the door a long time ago.

Unfortunately, not everyone can work for themselves. Some people are good at business, but most are not
SW17LS (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 10:12 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

I feel sad for him but this is the reality and I'm glad he learned young unlike myself

Reality is we are just a number when we work for others.

It's brutal.

At least he was spared the humiliation of being perp walked out the door like a criminal in front of his peers when laid off.

I wasn't that lucky and never again. Lol
The following 3 users liked this post by Margate330:
AMIRZA786 (05-05-24), FrankReynoldsCPA (05-05-24), SW17LS (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

At the end of the day, many companies (most) don’t care about or value people. That’s why when Lex2K made up that comment about Elon and devaluing people I believed it, because I have seen that from many, many CEOs and executive management at companies. This type of mentality comes from the top, so this is his mentality. It’s cultural.

This is why I will never work for somebody but myself. I work for an employer in part now, and I turned down a significant opportunity to put all my eggs in that basket and I sleep very well at night having done that. If I were laid off tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised and would just turn all my focus back to my independent business activities and be just fine…and that’s how it will stay.
Old 05-05-24, 11:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

With all this going on, it's definitely bringing a lot of negative publicity which is not helping its public perception. I didn't want to say this publicly on this forum for many reasons, but I know of personally 5 people who were about to execute on a Model Y, but backed out. I had provided them with referral links, so when I followed up with them they all said the same thing....their reasons were Elon. I'm not getting into what each of them told me specifically, but I will say that none are ideological, they are a mixture politically, and politics had nothing to do with it. Are they right or wrong? That's not the issue here. When someone decides not to buy a GM product, they don't say I didn't because of Mary Barra (most people don't even know who she is), they say because it's of inferior quality, or they had a bad experience with the dealership. So there is definitely a problem, Houston.

That said, this is not the first time Tesla has faced headwinds. This is not the first time they went through large layoffs. I think once the smoke clears, new teams are put into place, Tesla will be back on track. Unless Tesla is playing some game of chicken, they have to eventually continue build-outs of their SC network. If you ask most Tesla owners why they bought a Tesla, their SC network is high up on the list. It's one of the main reasons I bought my Model Y, because I travel a lot and Tesla makes charging it on trips a no brainer, with plenty of chargers, all working, so travelling is as easy as getting in my car and going, even if I didn't charge the night before. I could leave with 20 percent SoC with not even a thought
Old 05-05-24, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know multiple people who won’t buy Teslas because of Elon.

You know from my posts I am not a fan of the UAW, but Tesla is a company where employees would benefit from a union.
FrankReynoldsCPA (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 01:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

GJeebs review ot the Model 3 Standard Range

Old 05-05-24, 02:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Regardless of all this drama going on, I look forward to getting a Model 3 Performance next year to replace my Polestar. I texted the team that handles test drives to see if any are now available, so hopefully they haven't been fired and will get back to me 🤣
SW17LS (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 04:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Leaving all your vendors in confusion is not business 101, especially for a global company as big as Tesla. Also my nephew just got hired on to the Semi structural team out of Fremont, and Tesla employees are in a panic facing uncertainty. If my company ever treated me that way, I would be out the door looking for another company. Sorry, your explanation just doesn't jive with me
It is definitely bad for business, and it just proves that this was a rash decision made in seconds.

In the other news, there was an email sent to all the SC parters, asking them to continue new project if they started construction and stop if they didnt, and email them to get in contact because they are not sure at the state of projects.

That's what confusion looks like when you dont have a handoff, and now you have to figure out wtf is going on.

I have no problem with business making tough decisions, but this was harmful to Tesla. Literally any other way would have been better.

Now some smart people will try to make it work, and get the best out of it but honestly nobody needs ego throwing rocks under your own wheels.

For no good reason, you undermined the trust of the whole industry, and the big corps are very afraid of dealing with unpredictable.

Basically you keep your dirty laundry inside
your business and not on freaking twitter.
SW17LS (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 04:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is definitely bad for business, and it just proves that this was a rash decision made in seconds.

In the other news, there was an email sent to all the SC parters, asking them to continue new project if they started construction and stop if they didnt, and email them to get in contact because they are not sure at the state of projects.

That's what confusion looks like when you dont have a handoff, and now you have to figure out wtf is going on.

I have no problem with business making tough decisions, but this was harmful to Tesla. Literally any other way would have been better.

Now some smart people will try to make it work, and get the best out of it but honestly nobody needs ego throwing rocks under your own wheels.

For no good reason, you undermined the trust of the whole industry, and the big corps are very afraid of dealing with unpredictable.

Basically you keep your dirty laundry inside
your business and not on freaking twitter.
As more and more news began to come out, and I talked with some former Tesla employees, as well as seeing that leaked email to SC vendors, I began to try and add 2 + 2 together and it kept equalling 5 . If this was part of some bigger plan, it was botched big time. If Elon has some "Grand" plan that we don't know about, it doesn't help Tesla or potential Tesla customers, who are looking at the company in a very negative light. Several people I know who wanted to buy a Tesla said they changed their mind, or they are rethinking their choice. A company should be terrified of this scenario.

The saying is God knows what we don't know, unfortunately in this case what we don't know is causing uncertainty, something you never want to have as a global company

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-05-24 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-05-24, 07:00 PM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

GJeebs review ot the Model 3 Standard Range

https://youtu.be/E1zORS2Xlr0?si=v4XllQU3_sqy1m7K
Spent a couple of hours at the Tesla dealer yesterday and test drove the whole S3XY lineup minus the CT. Loved that Tesla let me drive around for 30 minutes each vehicle without a pesky salesman. The M3LR impressed me the most. I expected the MX/MS to blow it away, but those 2 suffered from "boominess" going over bumps, numerous creaks and rattles over the Highland that I test drove which had zero weird noises. The higher end Tesla's main advantages were having a screen in front of the driver and less road noise. The Model Y was my least favorite. I don't know if I would ever get used to the bad suspension on the MYLR that I test drove. It was the most punishing of the 4 by far. I've owned BMW's since 2003, all with sports or M suspensions and none ever rode as rough. I'm gonna wait for the M3P demos to come out before I decide to go for that or the IS500...
AMIRZA786 (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 07:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G30540i
Spent a couple of hours at the Tesla dealer yesterday and test drove the whole S3XY lineup minus the CT. Loved that Tesla let me drive around for 30 minutes each vehicle without a pesky salesman. The M3LR impressed me the most. I expected the MX/MS to blow it away, but those 2 suffered from "boominess" going over bumps, numerous creaks and rattles over the Highland that I test drove which had zero weird noises. The higher end Tesla's main advantages were having a screen in front of the driver and less road noise. The Model Y was my least favorite. I don't know if I would ever get used to the bad suspension on the MYLR that I test drove. It was the most punishing of the 4 by far. I've owned BMW's since 2003, all with sports or M suspensions and none ever rode as rough. I'm gonna wait for the M3P demos to come out before I decide to go for that or the IS500...
Haha you're spoiled by that great German suspension! Hard to beat the Germans when it comes to ride quality. I have a 2023 MY LR with 19" tires and ride quality is pretty good except on really bad roads. I'm already 15k on it and it's been pretty solid on trips and comfortable. Model X was just way too heavy, and the pillars that support the gull wing doors block your view. I've driven in a Model S, but haven't driven one.

Also test drove the new Model 3 Long Range, waiting on the Performance to be available for test drive. I think you're going to be blown away by it. From the mouth of Jason Camisa: "It makes the BMW M3 irrelevant". His words, not mine
Old 05-05-24, 07:42 PM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Haha you're spoiled by that great German suspension! Hard to beat the Germans when it comes to ride quality. I have a 2023 MY LR with 19" tires and ride quality is pretty good except on really bad roads. I'm already 15k on it and it's been pretty solid on trips and comfortable. Model X was just way too heavy, and the pillars that support the gull wing doors block your view. I've driven in a Model S, but haven't driven one.

Also test drove the new Model 3 Long Range, waiting on the Performance to be available for test drive. I think you're going to be blown away by it. From the mouth of Jason Camisa: "It makes the BMW M3 irrelevant". His words, not mine
The MY wasn't bad on smooth roads, but I preplanned to take all 4 to the worst roads in town full of potholes from all the recent rain that CA has had to see them at their worst.
AMIRZA786 (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 07:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G30540i
The MY wasn't bad on smooth roads, but I preplanned to take all 4 to the worst roads in town full of potholes from all the recent rain that CA has had to see them at their worst.
Are you in SoCal or NorCal (I'm in NorCal). I was just in SoCal last week with the Model Y, drove all over Orange County to the Corona area. 90 percent of the time it was fine. Suspension also seems to have gotten better over time, but that could also be me adjusting to it. My Polestar's suspension is a couple of notches softer, so handles rough roads better. Our Ioniq 5 has the softest suspension out of all our cars.

I came from an IS350 with F-Sport lowering springs, so I adjusted to the Model Y's suspension pretty quickly!

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread