EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 09:11 PM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Are you in SoCal or NorCal (I'm in NorCal). I was just in SoCal last week with the Model Y, drove all over Orange County to the Corona area. 90 percent of the time it was fine. Suspension also seems to have gotten better over time, but that could also be me adjusting to it. My Polestar's suspension is a couple of notches softer, so handles rough roads better. Our Ioniq 5 has the softest suspension out of all our cars.

I came from an IS350 with F-Sport lowering springs, so I adjusted to the Model Y's suspension pretty quickly!
Yeah, if you can stomach a cut spring ride, then you have more fortitude than me. The last time I tolerated a bad ride well was before I got into middle age with degenerative lumbar spine kicked in. Anyways you were in the richer areas of SoCal. Corona, along with the Palm Springs area are the richer areas of Riverside. I’m in the plebeian area of Riverside where the city and county take years to fix potholes or repave roads.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 09:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by G30540i
Yeah, if you can stomach a cut spring ride, then you have more fortitude than me. The last time I tolerated a bad ride well was before I got into middle age with degenerative lumbar spine kicked in. Anyways you were in the richer areas of SoCal. Corona, along with the Palm Springs area are the richer areas of Riverside. I’m in the plebeian area of Riverside where the city and county take years to fix potholes or repave roads.
Actually, Lexus does a great job with their lowering springs, not too hard, yet not to soft. Like you, I'm in my 50's and have degenerative disc disease... sounds worst than it is! So a stiff ride would kill my back.

My brother lives in Eastvale (near Norco), so yes, better roads, but lots of construction. I was doing a lot of trips from San Jose due to my father being elderly. He just passed last year, but I still come out as much as I can to see my two brothers and sister. Brother lives in Redondo Beach, sister lives in Torrance, so lots of driving when I come out there!
Old 05-05-24, 10:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

There is absolutely no good way to spin this

Tesla Pulling Out of Supercharger Leases After Firing Entire Supercharger Team

"Plenty of investors are blaming Musk for the company's wandering vision, saying he's alienated buyers and tanked the carmaker's reputation with his bizarre political outbursts and fixation on autonomous driving — all at the expense of basic services for Tesla drivers, like a reliable charging network"

https://futurism.com/the-byte/tesla-...charger-leases

Old 05-05-24, 10:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

There is absolutely no good way to spin this

Tesla Pulling Out of Supercharger Leases After Firing Entire Supercharger Team

"Plenty of investors are blaming Musk for the company's wandering vision, saying he's alienated buyers and tanked the carmaker's reputation with his bizarre political outbursts and fixation on autonomous driving — all at the expense of basic services for Tesla drivers, like a reliable charging network"

https://futurism.com/the-byte/tesla-...charger-leases
Making a further comment on the above post, if you ask the average car buyer (myself included) if they had to chose between Autonomous driving and reliable, readily available charging, they would choose reliable charging. If you gave me the choice, it would be reliable charging every day of the week. I didn't buy my Tesla for FSD, but for it's charging network. The news just keeps getting worse
Old 05-05-24, 11:02 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

I don't think Tesla should spend another penny leasing anything.

The need to own the land or nothing.

Too many ways to get screwed when so much money is at stake leasing stuff.

Last edited by Margate330; 05-05-24 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 02:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Making a further comment on the above post, if you ask the average car buyer (myself included) if they had to chose between Autonomous driving and reliable, readily available charging, they would choose reliable charging. If you gave me the choice, it would be reliable charging every day of the week. I didn't buy my Tesla for FSD, but for it's charging network. The news just keeps getting worse
it is a false choice, there is no reason for this that makes business sense. They did no fire whole supercharger team in order to make more capital available for FSD.
Old 05-06-24, 02:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

“Tesla left some really nice sites on the table,” said Robert Familiar, a spokesperson for Revel. “They’re essentially ready to go. Those kinds of sites are super rare, and we are actively looking to pursue them.”

The Tesla-based ride-hailing service said the planned locations are perfectly in line with the company’s expansion goals, and crucially, the sites are also power-ready. Three of them are owned by real estate company Related Companies, while the fourth is owned by New York developer Wildflower.

Tesla’s Supercharger team layoffs also garnered a comment from Revel CEO Frank Reig, who noted in a post on LinkedIn that the news would come as a positive for Revel and other charging station operators.

“While I still don’t see how it’s good for Tesla, letting go of the supercharger team is great for the rest of the industry,” Reig wrote in the post. “They’ve burned landlord relationships. They’ve ceded market share. They’ve freed up top talent. Revel has already added several new charging sites to our NYC pipeline and is interviewing multiple candidates for key positions.”

“Revel and every other charging operator gained a significant tailwind this week.”
https://www.teslarati.com/revel-tesl...gers-new-york/

BTW, these were being built because NYC supercharges were full and Tesla promised to expand the network for owners last year.
AMIRZA786 (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 05:15 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

I tried my FSD last night for the first time in probably 9 months. I'm on 12.3.6. Wow. I have to say I was blown away. Everything feels way more "natural" and human like. Things like how it decelerates more smoothly, how it decided to stay in the right lane and not pass a car it was behind in that lane with a turn upcoming in about 1/4 mile was a big improvement. I'd say based on that experience, I'm WAY more comfortable with the capabilities than before. I'll keep trying it out but last night really showed me how far it has come. I have 2 specific areas of my town that I'm going to test it where I know it did not behave well 9 months ago.

One area where I'm curious how they'll navigate things is my neighborhood has a guard gate on the left side and then a "residents" lane on the right side (where a reader identifies your sticker and the arm opens). Last night, the car correctly went to the right but I don't know that it understood that it had to creep up to the arm. I took control at that point as it seemed like it was going a little faster than what the transponder and arm react to. But in the world of true autonomy, if the car is going to a neighborhood to pick someone up, will it know to go to the guard gate? And what will happen at a guard gate in a car with no driver? And here in this area of FL there are a lot of virtual guard gates where you have to insert a drivers license and wait for the virtual guard to analyze it, call the resident, and let you in... that clearly wouldn't work. It'll be the same for certain businesses with security entrances.
bitkahuna (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 06:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Haha you're spoiled by that great German suspension! Hard to beat the Germans when it comes to ride quality. I have a 2023 MY LR with 19" tires and ride quality is pretty good except on really bad roads. I'm already 15k on it and it's been pretty solid on trips and comfortable. Model X was just way too heavy, and the pillars that support the gull wing doors block your view. I've driven in a Model S, but haven't driven one.

Also test drove the new Model 3 Long Range, waiting on the Performance to be available for test drive. I think you're going to be blown away by it. From the mouth of Jason Camisa: "It makes the BMW M3 irrelevant". His words, not mine
"This compares the new Tesla Model 3 Performance with the iconic BMW M3's top of the line Competition xDrive version.

Verdict: Even though the BMW costs over 50% more, the Tesla beats the BMW across all main metrics except top speed and the BMW is marginally lighter.

The BMW takes 17% longer to get to 60 mph, has less range than the Tesla, and despite similar exterior dimensions comes with almost 30% less cargo space.

At 4,054 lbs, the Tesla weighs only 64 lbs more than the BMW."

The following 3 users liked this post by Hameed:
AMIRZA786 (05-06-24), Mike728 (05-06-24), swajames (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 07:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
"This compares the new Tesla Model 3 Performance with the iconic BMW M3's top of the line Competition xDrive version.

Verdict: Even though the BMW costs over 50% more, the Tesla beats the BMW across all main metrics except top speed and the BMW is marginally lighter.

The BMW takes 17% longer to get to 60 mph, has less range than the Tesla, and despite similar exterior dimensions comes with almost 30% less cargo space.

I rarely go faster than 80 MPH, top speed means nothing to me
Old 05-06-24, 08:06 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed

Interesting, I’ve seen M3 comps do under 3 seconds 0-60 so that 3.4 may be a little conservative.

As for only racing up to 80mph, not really a race, that’s not even an eighth mile let alone a 1/4 mile. I like to look at more metrics than 0-60 when comparing cars.
Old 05-06-24, 08:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Interesting, I’ve seen M3 comps do under 3 seconds 0-60 so that 3.4 may be a little conservative.
C&D tested the xDrive at 2.8 seconds, Motor Trend at 3.0.

BMW always understates both their published 0-60 times as well as power numbers. The "503hp" Competition typically produces 485hp or so at the wheels bone stock, which is roughly 550 at the crank if you assume a conservative 12% driveline loss.

Agree with the rest of your post. Handling is way more fun than acceleration, and a rolling 60-130 is way more fun than 0-60.
Old 05-06-24, 08:56 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 707 Likes on 442 Posts

As for only racing up to 80mph, not really a race, that’s not even an eighth mile let alone a 1/4 mile. I like to look at more metrics than 0-60 when comparing cars.
You can’t really compare times like that. We’ve yet to see any instrumented tests for the new Model 3 Performance, and you can’t compare results gathered at different times and under different conditions. The Model 3 official time may also be conservative. The point is we don’t yet know. Regardless, I’d suspect the main point the chart is making is absolutely correct and that the Model 3 Performance will more than hold its own against the M3 Competition in normal driving conditions.
Old 05-06-24, 09:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That wasn't my point. I'm not talking about racing or driving on the track, I'm talking about daily driving. Also if I can beat an M3 0-80 in an under $60k car I'm happy. Top speed for the Model 3 Performance is 163 MPH....who drives that fast on the freeway?
Old 05-06-24, 09:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

dupe.......

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread