EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As more and more news began to come out, and I talked with some former Tesla employees, as well as seeing that leaked email to SC vendors, I began to try and add 2 + 2 together and it kept equalling 5 . If this was part of some bigger plan, it was botched big time. If Elon has some "Grand" plan that we don't know about, it doesn't help Tesla or potential Tesla customers, who are looking at the company in a very negative light. Several people I know who wanted to buy a Tesla said they changed their mind, or they are rethinking their choice. A company should be terrified of this scenario.

The saying is God knows what we don't know, unfortunately in this case what we don't know is causing uncertainty, something you never want to have as a global company
so customers are confused or disappointed or changing their minds. i wonder what the other auto makers who commited to nacs are feeling. i'm beginning to think the whole herd commitment to nacs was rushed. i have no doubt that EA, Chargepoint, and endless other charging places will get better and better and not suddenly announce they're firing everyone and eliminating commitments to leases for new chargers. i was super impressed with my recent experience at a florida power and light (FPL) charging station.

since all of this lays at elon musk's feet, who of course has given VERY SCANT public comment on all this, i think it's time for him to go. he's been a great (brilliant) and flamboyant leader to get tesla to where it is, but i think at the very least they need a new CEO and move him into a different role.
Old 05-06-24, 09:37 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You can’t really compare times like that. We’ve yet to see any instrumented tests for the new Model 3 Performance, and you can’t compare results gathered at different times and under different conditions. The Model 3 official time may also be conservative. The point is we don’t yet know. Regardless, I’d suspect the main point the chart is making is absolutely correct and that the Model 3 Performance will more than hold its own against the M3 Competition in normal driving conditions.
I don’t disagree but why pick a higher 0-60 time to compare it to? I would want to compare it to a better time that has been reported with AWD. If it is all speculation as you say why pick the slower time?

With that being said I would expect the new Model 3P to beat the M3 but at least post the better time achieved. We did it for the old Model 3P so why not do it for the M3?
Old 05-06-24, 09:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

That wasn't my point. I'm not talking about racing or driving on the track, I'm talking about daily driving. Also if I can beat an M3 0-80 in an under $60k car I'm happy. Top speed for the Model 3 Performance is 163 MPH....who drives that fast on the freeway?
Where I live getting to 60 is barely getting started, sorry I’m not going light to light. I live in a congested area but there is way more room in daily driving where I am from especially from a roll.
Old 05-06-24, 09:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so customers are confused or disappointed or changing their minds. i wonder what the other auto makers who commited to nacs are feeling. i'm beginning to think the whole herd commitment to nacs was rushed. i have no doubt that EA, Chargepoint, and endless other charging places will get better and better and not suddenly announce they're firing everyone and eliminating commitments to leases for new chargers. i was super impressed with my recent experience at a florida power and light (FPL) charging station.

since all of this lays at elon musk's feet, who of course has given VERY SCANT public comment on all this, i think it's time for him to go. he's been a great (brilliant) and flamboyant leader to get tesla to where it is, but i think at the very least they need a new CEO and move him into a different role.
I really tried to give Elon the benefit of the doubt if you look at my previous posts, but the more I tried, the worse the news has become. Try to explain to a potential buyer who is now having second thoughts why firing the whole SC team without much explanation is nothing to worry about. And does the average car buyer really care about Optimus or self autonomous driving when all they want is a worry free car they can easily charge on trips?

What Tesla should be worried about is 9 percent PHEV growth vs 3 percent BEV growth in California, of all places
Old 05-06-24, 09:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Where I live getting to 60 is barely getting started, sorry I’m not going light to light. I live in a congested area but there is way more room in daily driving where I am from especially from a roll.
Well you have a Plaid, so you have nothing to worry about when it comes to winning races. In California, 90 MPH is reckless driving, suspension of your license, 30 day towing of your car, and possible jail time
Old 05-06-24, 10:02 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 529 Likes on 360 Posts

I rarely go faster than 80 MPH, top speed means nothing to me
Especially anywhere near the speeds these cars are capable of. I maybe hit 90 once in a great while up 280 early in the morning. And that's by accident; I immediately back off.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 10:08 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

I believe there is more to the Supercharger decision and future than we have heard, and news, like markets, are reactionary and speculative.
Was it brutal to employees and vendors? You bet. Welcome to Silicon Valley capitalism.

I am close to pulling the trigger on the M3P. If you haven't seen or sat in one, the big surprise, to me, was the seats. Nicely bolstered and supportive; they almost sell the car by themselves.
On top of that, given our car is an early model (Dec 2018) the number of improvements will be great. I just have to figure out how to cut loose 2 cars... Sheesh.
Old 05-06-24, 10:28 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 676 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I believe there is more to the Supercharger decision and future than we have heard, and news, like markets, are reactionary and speculative.
Was it brutal to employees and vendors? You bet. Welcome to Silicon Valley capitalism.
I don't see it that way. There are really only two plausible explanations for the supercharger decision. One is that it is part of a planned strategy where the cuts were necessary, considered and executed as part of an overall plan. The second is that this division went from a (say) 10% headcount cut to an entire divisional cut because their boss had the temerity to support her team and Musk retaliated. This is far more likely, and you only have to look at how Musk has acted at Twitter for evidence that things most probably played out as they were reported and that the petty retaliation scenario is quite likely accurate. That's not Silicon Valley Capitalism, IMO, it's abject stupidity. He's painted himself into a corner and as he'll never admit he was wrong the single biggest advantage Tesla has is inevitably going to be compromised.
AMIRZA786 (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 10:33 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by swajames
I don't see it that way. There are really only two plausible explanations for the supercharger decision. One is that it is part of a planned strategy where the cuts were necessary, considered and executed as part of an overall plan. The second is that this division went from a (say) 10% headcount cut to an entire divisional cut because their boss had the temerity to support her team and Musk retaliated. This is far more likely, and you only have to look at how Musk has acted at Twitter for evidence that things most probably played out as they were reported and that the petty retaliation scenario is quite likely accurate. That's not Silicon Valley Capitalism, IMO, it's abject stupidity. He's painted himself into a corner and as he'll never admit he was wrong the single biggest advantage Tesla has is inevitably going to be compromised.
A decision this big had to be decided by the BOD. The Supercharger network has always been a huge advantage for Tesla. There has to be more to the story.
Time will tell.
Old 05-06-24, 10:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A decision this big had to be decided by the BOD. The Supercharger network has always been a huge advantage for Tesla. There has to be more to the story.
Time will tell.
If there is more to the story, than shouldn't it be told? Dude, Tesla is losing not only sales, but it's reputation based on "There's has to be more to the story"
Old 05-06-24, 10:44 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 676 Likes on 423 Posts

That may well highlight the problem, Jeff, the BOD is supposed to be the check and balance on Musk's impulses but instead it's becoming the enabler for them. You would certainly expect the board at a public company to have been involved in this overall process and presumably to some extent they were, but the likelihood of a BOD acting in the best interests of the company and its shareholders sanctioning what is happening in the charging team is low IMO. A far more plausible scenario is they approved the overall headcount reduction, but were not involved in the decision to fire the charging team. In that regard the BOD at Tesla is effectively like Yaccarino at Twitter - essentially powerless, basically worthless, and are mostly there to enable and help cover for Musk's foibles than reign them in.
Old 05-06-24, 10:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

Another round of layoffs being reported. Main source is Electrek so huge grains of salt, but impacted departments are software, service, and engineering

https://electrek.co/2024/05/06/tesla...round-layoffs/
LexTess (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I'm going to throw this out there...its time for Elon to go. Tesla needs a serious CEO.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
LexTess (05-06-24), Mike728 (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 11:03 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm going to throw this out there...its time for Elon to go. Tesla needs a serious CEO.
Without Musk there is no Tesla.
Do I agree with all his decisions? Heck no.
Old 05-06-24, 11:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

A great startup CEO is rarely a great mature company CEO. Two wildly different skillsets
The following 4 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (05-06-24), bowser (05-06-24), DaveGS4 (05-06-24), SW17LS (05-06-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread